need advice on selling my design

Closed Thread

Default need advice on selling my design

hi guys, i would like to know if i am to sell my design.. (a car accessory) wat should the terms be and how much should i sell the design for if it would be massproduce about 1000 unit monthly. for your information it is my first deal... any suggestion or comments would be much appreciated.. thnx

additional info:

selling price per unit in the market: +- 50 USD

T.Jackson Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Cool Do the maths

Do the math’s. (1,000 x 50USD) = 50K gross p/month. Total volume? Do they plan on say 12 months of production? (12 x 50K) = 600K.

Plus...

1. Estimate how much profit they would make from the total volume.
    2. What are the risks involved? Sure winner or big gamble?
    3. Are they doing you a favor by offering to purchasing the design?
    (is it really that good)

Out of interest, the guy who programmed PAC MAN for the Atari 2600 received something like $20K for it. Atari made something like $5M profit.
    Atari took the risk, but Atari should have also paid royalties after discovering the success of the game. In my opinion, he really desreved about $250K.
    (He was not an Atari employee, it was out sourced)

Best Regards,
    Trent Jackson

Default Royalties

I attended a class presented by Mike Rounds, one of the developers of Teddy Ruxpin. He sold a disk with contracts and such to help you try to sell your idea, he stated in the class the average royalty was 3%, I do not remember if that was gross or net, I think it was gross.
    JS
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by nimonia View Post
    it is my first deal... any suggestion or comments would be much appreciated.. thnx

additional info:

selling price per unit in the market: +- 50 USD
    You got an Angel ready to buy? He looking for more automotive devices?
    I got a couple.
    JS
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

T.Jackson Guest

Angry 3% is enough motivation to take a good idea to the grave with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    I attended a class presented by Mike Rounds, one of the developers of Teddy Ruxpin. He sold a disk with contracts and such to help you try to sell your idea, he stated in the class the average royalty was 3%, I do not remember if that was gross or net, I think it was gross.
    JS
    3% makes a lot of sense huh. I mean like; without the idea they would have 97% of nothing. These business people are ruthless. Passionate about seeing the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. On the other hand, the people behind all of the magic, the designers who come up with the ideas are genuinely just passionate about their work.

Few years ago I often wondered what exactly would motivate someone to create a virus. I now know the motivation behind it. My advice: if you have a seriously good idea, keep it to yourself until you can personally fund it.

Don't ever trust anyone

Trent Jackson

Patent your product first.
    Use your patent as your weapon, sign a contract with a manufacturer and have your share on the paper.

OR wait for years and years to collect the fund you need and when you are just about to be there to manufacture AND market your product, go and buy it in WallMart for 10 bucks.

-------------
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sayzer View Post
    Patent your product first.
    Use your patent as your weapon, sign a contract with a manufacturer and have your share on the paper.

OR wait for years and years to collect the fund you need and when you are just about to be there to manufacture AND market your product, go and buy it in WallMart for 10 bucks.

-------------
    I see flaws with patents. For starters they mean nothing to Korea. They will manufacture anything. Regardless. If the idea isn’t entirely distinct, someone gaining word of it could possibly embark on modifying it to avoid infringement. With some applied creativity, and the fact that they may actually be on the other side of the World, they may just succeed! (The whole things a hard call in all respects)

Best Regards,

Trent Jackson

Jackson,

Take a deep look at this post when you have time.

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3965

------------------
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

T.Jackson Guest

Post Interesting thread

Quote Originally Posted by sayzer View Post
    Jackson,

Take a deep look at this post when you have time.

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3965

------------------
    Interesting thread, I agree with it mostly.

Best Regards,

Trent Jackson

Default hmmm..

thnx guys for the replies and comments.. patenting takes a few years here in my place so dont think its worth while and it costs a bunch too.. haha...

anyways guys.. i've had this idea and it was put in the deal.. u see i am selling them the design schematic and layouts and idea with a one time sum xx,xxx and instead of royalty i would supply them the programmed PIC heahaeeha so basicly the chip itself would be the royalty... every unit they come up wif they need one programmed PIC to go with it.. just somethign i wanna share with u guys who are kinda like in my situation too..
    Last edited by nimonia; - 1st March 2007 at 23:24.

Yeah... something like Parallax already do with their BasicStamp... but with intelligence inside
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nimonia View Post
    thnx guys for the replies and comments.. patenting takes a few years here in my place so dont think its worth while and it costs a bunch too.. haha...

anyways guys.. i've had this idea and it was put in the deal.. u see i am selling them the design schematic and layouts and idea with a one time sum xx,xxx and instead of royalty i would supply them the programmed PIC heahaeeha so basicly the chip itself would be the royalty... every unit they come up wif they need one programmed PIC to go with it.. just somethign i wanna share with u guys who are kinda like in my situation too..
    I think someone is having himself on.

Hi,

(Copy Protection in Modern Microcontrollers).

See this link:
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sps32/mcu_lock.html

The latest paper on this subject:
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-630.html

Semi-invasive attacks – A new approach to hardware security analysis
    Sergei P. Skorobogatov
    April 2005, 144 pages
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-630.pdf

Best regards,

Luciano

T.Jackson Guest

Post Copy Protection in Modern Microcontrollers

Hi Luciano

I think the copy protection offered in PIC's is pretty strong. I recall seeing a project Published in the Silicon Chip magazine sometime ago where the author not only set the copy protect fuse, but also made it so that the actual program itself would be erased if any activity was detected on the programming pin.

So in other words, if this pin weren’t grounded, the internal program itself would erase the entire flash memory. This method is commonly known as suicide protection. Very extreme and used extensively throughout the 90's on some arcade game boards costing $2,000 upwards.

Best regards,
    Trent Jackson