256 Pics Communicate to 1 Master Pic

Closed Thread

Default 256 Pics Communicate to 1 Master Pic

Hi all,

1 ) I need to design the board that contain the 256 pics and 1 master pic. 256 pics need to send the data/report to master pic. I want to know the best way to do that. It's need to put the some interfacing chip to every 256 pics and the master pic for the communication? Or can be direct connected to master pic? What type of the communication can be use?

2 ) I want to share the clock source from 1 crystal. What is the maximum pic can be connected to 1 source crystal? ( clock out from pic to other pic).

Thanks All.

CBUK Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

ive done what you are planning to do for remote Pics to transmit their address, a 4 bit data bus and 3 analogue values to a master pic that's interfaced to a PLC
    Key ideas, aim for pics with inbuilt hardware USART like the 16f877, a half duplex operation as dallas semiconductors have some great line drivers, of which you should be looking towards a serial communication in the form of an RS485 using hserin and hserout commands.
    just pay attention to timing values! i had great problems to start with whereby there was more than one pic replying to different requests, or started transmitting as a previous pic was still talking.
    the only limit to the amount of pics on a network is the impedance and load the tranceiver chip applies. using the max487 chip you can get up to 128 nodes, but with other chips you can get more, not saying you cannot put a repeater unit to boost the signal to get the other 128 ......

Chris.