Working with the random number generator

Closed Thread

Question Working with the random number generator

Newbe here,
    I am working on a project where I can randomly light one of 5 LED attached to portb. PicBasic has a random number generator that will write a random number between 1 and aprox 65K to a variable. So I can divide the vaiable by about 16K to get a number between 0and 4. or by 13k to get a number between 0 and 5..... I can play with that part later. My question is how do I round to a whole number or truncate to a whole number?

Any help deeply appriciated

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by kwelna View Post
    Newbe here,
    I am working on a project where I can randomly light one of 5 LED attached to portb. PicBasic has a random number generator that will write a random number between 1 and aprox 65K to a variable. So I can divide the vaiable by about 16K to get a number between 0and 4. or by 13k to get a number between 0 and 5..... I can play with that part later. My question is how do I round to a whole number or truncate to a whole number?

Any help deeply appriciated
    Are you using PBP? Do you have the manual handy? I've got your answer when you get the manual.

Default Random number

no I am using pic basic, not the pro. I do have the manual, I assume thisis ususing the "//" remianer function? I am not sure how this functions.....

skimask Guest

no I am using pic basic, not the pro. I do have the manual, I assume thisis ususing the "//" remianer function? I am not sure how this functions.....
    Do you see anything in the manual about floating point numbers, decimal points, etc.? I.E. 10 / 3 = 3.333333333333 and so on...
    What do you have to truncate for?

Default radom number

Nothing about floating point numbers. My version of pic basic is from when I purchased it in 2002 to make a specialized timer for a friend. I have not used it since if that helps. The manual is quite "thin". What I am truing to do is randomly turn on one of five LEDs tied to portb. I will then test a related porta input tied to a sensor to see when it goes hi or low.....to then generate another random number between 1and 5 to start the process over.

Here is the actual application, it is for a buddy of mine that has kids in scouting. I0 have a set of steel plates set out at 25 feet each steel plate has an LED mounted below it and a vibtration sensor attahed to it. each scout is given a CO2 pellet pistol loaded with 10 pellets. as each LED lights for a cetain number of seconds - usually 5, the scout needs to shoot the plate, he gets two shots at each plate. If he hits the plate it registers the hit and moves on to the next randomly selected target. At the end of the competition, the elapsed time is taken and the total number of left over pellets multiplied by a constant of usually 5 seconds, this product is then subtracted from the time. This process rewards both speed and accuracy. It is a lot of fun and I am trying to automate the process to make it more challenging. So I need a way to randomly light one of 5 target indiactors. which ever one is lit will then have its vibration sensor monitored for pellet hits.
    Once hit, the led turns off and another one is lit, maybe even the same one relights. The shooter will not be able to guess as it is random..... It should be a hoot to watch them sweat.

Sorry to be so long winded

skimask Guest

Nothing about floating point numbers. My version of pic basic is from when I purchased it in 2002 to make a specialized timer for a friend. I have not used it since if that helps. The manual is quite "thin".
    Wow, that must be quite the manual...How many pages ISN'T is?

So, if you don't see anything about floating point numbers in the manual, what does that tell you?
    Do you see anything about integers? Do you know what happens to the fractional part of a number when you divide it (if said division ends up with a fractional part) if you're working with only integers?

Default random numbers

It is about 20 pages long. basically it lists the functions available in pic basic and a single line about syntax. in my case it is the "Let" function. So

Here is the only reference to division:

{LET} Var = {-} Value { Op Value}

Assigns a value to a variable. the valuemay be a conmstant, the value of another variable or the result of one or more binary operations. The operations are performed strictly left to right and all operations are performed with 16-bit precision. Unary negation may only be performed on the first value.

It then lists a number of mathamatical opoerators {+, -, \, \\,....} and some boolean operators { and , or, xand, .....etc}. Nothing about truncating a number, rounding, absolute value, ...etc.

I think I have a way out, I do the division and instead of truncating and rounding off and look=king for (X = a number 1 to 5) i can test for (X <= to a number). So anything (<= to 1) is 1, (<= to 2) is 2...etc. what do yo think?

skimask Guest

It is about 20 pages long. basically it lists the functions available in pic basic and a single line about syntax. in my case it is the "Let" function. So

Here is the only reference to division:

{LET} Var = {-} Value { Op Value}

Assigns a value to a variable. the valuemay be a conmstant, the value of another variable or the result of one or more binary operations. The operations are performed strictly left to right and all operations are performed with 16-bit precision. Unary negation may only be performed on the first value.

It then lists a number of mathamatical opoerators {+, -, \, \\,....} and some boolean operators { and , or, xand, .....etc}. Nothing about truncating a number, rounding, absolute value, ...etc.

I think I have a way out, I do the division and instead of truncating and rounding off and look=king for (X = a number 1 to 5) i can test for (X <= to a number). So anything (<= to 1) is 1, (<= to 2) is 2...etc. what do yo think?

I think you're not getting it...
    PBP doesn't deal with fractions. Fractions are ignored, thrown away, not present, not going to be in the final result, irrelavant...
    In our little world, 10 / 3 = 3 remainder 1, or 3 1/3, or 3.333333333(and so on)

In PBP's world, 10 / 3 = 3, nothing more, nothing less.

Do you get it yet?

Wink With a little SEARCH

Hi, Kwelna

I remember there was a great discussion about random numbers ( here or in the PBP section ) ...

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Talking random numbers

Oooh now I get it and the useage of the // function. OK so in essence, it always rounds down.....way easier. Sorry to be so thick