serial to usb..

Closed Thread

Thread: serial to usb..

Smile serial to usb..

I've been working with my JDM programmer (serial..) and it would be great if i could change it from the serial mode to usb mode due to my new notebook that has no serial port. Do that serial-usb cables work? What are the softwares that work with usb connection? I'm sorry my english..

Could anybody give a solution?

thanks!

Sylvio

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by sirvo View Post
    I've been working with my JDM programmer (serial..) and it would be great if i could change it from the serial mode to usb mode due to my new notebook that has no serial port. Do that serial-usb cables work? What are the softwares that work with usb connection? I'm sorry my english..

Could anybody give a solution?

thanks!

Sylvio
    USB-serial converters usually work. Just make sure there's a good ground between the Serial port connector's ground pin and the USB port connector's ground pin. I've read a lot of people, myself included, have had problems due to that fact. If the cable doesn't have a good ground between the two, just open up the connector and solder one in there. And USB converters usually come with software with them, if they don't, they're usually universal enough that Windows has built-in drivers for them.

P.S. Did you even try a Google on the subject?

I also heard about voltage level problem. Some could need a slight modification, external suply and plah plah. I also heard about converter latency that cause faulty programmings sessions...

So i guess, the best, is to test it and buy a nice quality USB to Serial adapter OR buy a Microchip PicKit 2 wich is already USB.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

ok..but, when i plug in the usb/serial adapter, does the system create a kind of a COM X port? I'm asking that because the softwares i've used they dont have the option of USB ports, only COM ports.. so, i think that that is my big doubt..how can i choose my jdm programmer that is a usb connection if i have no choice to do it?

thanks for helping...

Sylvio

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sirvo View Post
    ok..but, when i plug in the usb/serial adapter, does the system create a kind of a COM X port? I'm asking that because the softwares i've used they dont have the option of USB ports, only COM ports.. so, i think that that is my big doubt..how can i choose my jdm programmer that is a usb connection if i have no choice to do it?

thanks for helping...

Sylvio
    If I'm reading your question correctly, the answer is YES; when you plug in a USB-serial converter, it enumerates and creates a virtual COM port that you would otherwise not have, usually numbered much higher than normal COM ports. If you need to, they can usually be changed to lower numbers (i.e. was COM9 or something, needs to be COM2), but you have to figure out where the settings are (registry, config settings in Windows, etc.). After the unit is plugged in and running, as far as you are concerned, it's just like a normal COM port. It can be used with VisualBasic, Hyperterminal, Q-Basic (wow!), whatever...

Smile

All right Skimask ... you understood very well my question.. thanks for clarifying my doubt. i'll arrange the usb-serial adapter and then i post the results..

thanks a lot...

Sylvio

malc-c Guest

Is anything actually to be gained from connecting a serial JDM programmer (or any serial device) to an USB adaptor ? At the end of the day the serial device is expecting one protocol, that of a serial port, and the USB convertor has to convert the USB protocol to whats expected, and if virtual ports are created and software drivers are involved then there are more possible ares for problems top occur.

Personally I find the JDM programmer fast enough for loading most HEX files, but if you want the speed of a USB programmer then buy either the PicKIT2 as Steve suggested, or the kit offered by CT Tuning ( http://www.ct-tuning.co.uk )

is there anyone using a jdm programmer with usb/serial adapter?

Hello friend,

it did not work for me

I´m using a USB-Serial converter from TrippLite (http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...productID=2430) with Profilic chipset, and..... nothing works.

The converter works ok with other devices (like old mouses, modem, an DS1621 serial thermometer etc), but with JDM... no way

If you have some success, please, let us know !

Regards.

Sérgio

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by srspinho View Post
    Hello friend,

it did not work for me

I´m using a USB-Serial converter from TrippLite (http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...productID=2430) with Profilic chipset, and..... nothing works.

The converter works ok with other devices (like old mouses, modem, an DS1621 serial thermometer etc), but with JDM... no way

If you have some success, please, let us know !

Regards.

Sérgio
    Try front and rear USB ports? On a hub, off the hub?