Rentron Encoder

Closed Thread

Thread: Rentron Encoder

Default Rentron Encoder

I have the CIP-8E and 8D fron rentron.
    I am trying to make them work.
    Just to make sure, the input on the encodercan be, lets say:
    serout portb.2, n2400,[$55]

On pin9 (D0) the ther D pin I grounded them .
    therefore on pin9 of the decoder I should be getting $55 right? assuming I grounded the same pins ?
    can I do a multiple serout :
    serout portb.2, n2400,[$55, $56, $aa] on that same pin, or do they have to be on different pin ?
    I put all the A pin to Ground
    All the D pin to ground except for D0 (where I use for input and output) and D1 to Vcc on both encoder /decoder.
    Last edited by lerameur; - 4th January 2007 at 22:15.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The CIP-8E encoder is a parallel encoder IC designed for push-button
    switches.

You could of course use a PIC to replace the push-button switches if you
    like, but there's no way to send this encoder serial data via a single I/O-pin.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Default Re: Rentron Encoder

I know this is an old thread, but is there any advantage in using the CIP-8 pair over the PT2262/72 combination?
    If I understand these chips correctly, simply setting one of the data lines high will result in the decoder chip data line sinking or sourcing the same data line. Is that correct?

I'm trying to make a multi transmitter single receiver combination that will allow for detection of which transmitter has been activated.

Thanks
    Doug

They are doing the same thing.

But remember that Bruce (owner of Rentron), is very helpful person, also member of this forum. So, if you need help, I think you would prefer CIP-8.

Ioannis

I'm looking at your site. I'm extremely space limited with my XTMR setup.
    What I'm in need of is a single RCVR with multiple XTMR's that can be identified when active. Only one transmitter will be active at a time.

Could I simply put a switch on an encoder data line and when activated, that encoder/XTMR combination will cause the same data line on the decoder to go high and turn on an LED?

Will the chip function with a 3.7v LiPo source? I'm likely limited to 100mAh capacity power source, for both encoder and XTMR.

Thanks,
    Doug

If you refer to CIP-8 chip, as the data sheet indicates, it work from 3 to 5.5 volts. So, yes, 3.7 is fine.

Now regarding the transmitter, you can find modules that work from 1.8 up to 5.5 volts. Bruce does have such modules (don't know if they are from 1.8 or 3). I have found from Dorji.com modules that are working from 1.8 volts and up to 17dbm power @5V.

What you are asking is easy to do, and since you don't want to identify each transmitter, every one transmitter will have the same ID.

Your switch will be controling the power to the whole transmitter circuit, so when the switch is open, you current drain will be zero.

On the receiver side, the current will be in the range of 10-15mA, so I suppose your battery will not last for very long. You want a line power supply, or much bigger bat.

What is your location, USA?

Ioannis

Thanks for replying.
    I'm in Canada.

The space constraints on the receiver side of things is quite a bit more forgiving. I could use a 1000mAh LiPo without problems.

It looks like the standby current requirements of the encoder are pretty low so that might be the way to go.
    Are there SMD versions of the encoder/decoder?
    Thanks again for your comments.
    Doug

One question about the CIP chip series relates to the role that the address pins.
    I understand that these pins must not float. I also understand that the encoder and decoder addresses must be the same (at least that is my belief). Does it allow more than one set of remotes operate on the same frequency?

Doug

All transmitter operate on the same frequency. The regulations require that the duty cycle be very low, depending on the band from 0.1 to 10%.

So, as long as only one trasnmitter is ON, there is no problem. That's why you can unlock your car, when all the cars and remote door controlers are on the same channel.

Regarding the SMD or DIP case, I suppose you have to call Bruce and ask him.

Ioannis

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    All transmitter operate on the same frequency. The regulations require that the duty cycle be very low, depending on the band from 0.1 to 10%.

So, as long as only one trasnmitter is ON, there is no problem. That's why you can unlock your car, when all the cars and remote door controlers are on the same channel.

Regarding the SMD or DIP case, I suppose you have to call Bruce and ask him.

Ioannis
    Is rentron still operating? I've called a few times and only get voicemail. No response to an email.
    I'm off to Washington, DC next week and would like to order a few CIP-8 chips to collect on Friday but time is running out. May have to go with PT2262/72 chips.
    Doug

I cannot answer for Rentron, sorry. I do not know why you got no reply.

Hope you do soon.

Ioannis

I just found an article in Elektor describing the use of an encoder chip with 4 data in lines with 7 transmitter ID's.
    they used three of the data lines in a binary code arrangement to identify each transmitter. The 4th data line is set up as a low battery signal. So, D0,D1,D2 all low is 0, D0,D1 low and D2 high is 2 etc.

The receiver side of things uses a BCD to 7 segment LED display to report the transmitter ID. My question comes from the use of a latching setup on the BCD chip. Will it have to be reset manually to change the display or will a new signal from another transmitter change the display?

Thanks guys,
    Doug

Depends on what the programmer has done.

Ioannis

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    Depends on what the programmer has done.

Ioannis

Do you mean the programmer of the BCD chip?
    There doesn't seem to be any MCU to program.

On a side note, Bruce sent me an email but of course now, I've got the option of a simple 7-segment display to report the reporting transmitter rather than using 6 colored LEDs attached to D0-D5 data lines.

Options are though!

Doug

If it is a simple BCD decoder, the data is latched by a special pin. Latch or Clock or something similar.

So, I guess it will display the new value when new data are received by the above signal derived from the receiver.

Ioannis