Problem programming the PIC16F648A

Closed Thread
    Edgardo_2 Guest

Default Problem programming the PIC16F648A

Hello there,

I’m using a PIC16F648A with the MPLAB 7.2 and the HI-TECH PICC.

My program is not using the EEPROM, and it only enables the Power Up Timer option on the configuration word.

At the beginning I programmed my chip using the ICPROG 1.05C, but as it doesn’t have the PIC16F648A on its list, I chose the PIC16F628, which is the same chip, with the exception that it only has 2KW of Flash program memory instead of 4KW.

I’ve never exceeded the 2KW of Flash program memory.

I perfectly programmed my chip a lot of times using all the settings and applications mentioned above… until I programmed my latest program update in which I only added a delay routine, then I could never reprogram it again.

The ICPROG 1.05C kept saying: “the verification is incorrect”.

Reading the content of my chip, I realised that the program that it had on it was the last program which had a correct verification. The chip looks like is write-protected.

So, I installed the new ICPROG 1.05D, which includes the PIC16F648A on its list, and I bought a new chip, but I had the same problem again.

I’d appreciate any suggestion, tip or hand you could give me.

Thanks very much in advance,
    Edgardo

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Edgardo_2 View Post
    Hello there,

I’m using a PIC16F648A with the MPLAB 7.2 and the HI-TECH PICC.

My program is not using the EEPROM, and it only enables the Power Up Timer option on the configuration word.

At the beginning I programmed my chip using the ICPROG 1.05C, but as it doesn’t have the PIC16F648A on its list, I chose the PIC16F628, which is the same chip, with the exception that it only has 2KW of Flash program memory instead of 4KW.

I’ve never exceeded the 2KW of Flash program memory.

I perfectly programmed my chip a lot of times using all the settings and applications mentioned above… until I programmed my latest program update in which I only added a delay routine, then I could never reprogram it again.

The ICPROG 1.05C kept saying: “the verification is incorrect”.

Reading the content of my chip, I realised that the program that it had on it was the last program which had a correct verification. The chip looks like is write-protected.

So, I installed the new ICPROG 1.05D, which includes the PIC16F648A on its list, and I bought a new chip, but I had the same problem again.

I’d appreciate any suggestion, tip or hand you could give me.

Thanks very much in advance,
    Edgardo

Have you bulk erased it yet?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default I use that . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Edgardo_2 View Post
    Hello,
    I use ICPROG 1.05D on the 16F648A chips too. I sometimes get this problem on old chips that have been used many times, and I've found I have to erase them twice, or fill the buffer with all zeros, program then erase and use. It's funny because the problem is intermittant, Hope this helps. JS