Linker/COFF debugging in MPLAB SIM

Closed Thread
    RichardBowser Guest

Question Linker/COFF debugging in MPLAB SIM

I am trying to use MPLAB SIM to check out code I’m writing for an 18F8722. I have a brand new installation of MPLAB V7.40, and I can certainly build and execute runnable projects. EXCEPT I cannot enable Linker/COFF debugging, which I need. I run Windows XP Pro here. I have a friend with the same OS & the same MPLAB who does the same thing and can build and simulate with no problems. Yet whenever I try and build my project it gets far enough to report assembly success, I immediately get a Microsoft trap “PBP has encountered a problem and needs to close.” Then the PBP message tells me the .O file is not in valid COFF format. I have easily demonstrated the suite works fine if I do not enable Linker/COFF debugging.

I would like to look a bit closer to narrow down the reason for the problem. It seems the Linker/COFF debugging is unique to PBP. Can anyone offer any insight about what may be going on? It is at least conceivable that I have a problem with some PBP package file.

Soundscu Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Sample problem here - did you find a solution?

Hi,

I'm having precisely the same problem, compiling for the PIC18F4431. Did you find a solution?

Thanks!
    Jim

RichardBowser Guest

Default Linker/COFF debugging

No, I was never able to correct the problem. I totally removed PBP from my system and re-did the installation, this time using the installation sources of my friend, who does not experience the problem: But I got the identical failure yet again.

Nobody has been able to shed any light on the issue. Nobody has been able to suggest even a way to capture relevant diagnostic data. The trail seems to have hit a stone wall. I have been forced to abandon PIC Basic, due to this issue. (You are the first person who has ever shown concern about it.) I was really hoping someone would help me figure it out. I do not have enough knowledge of PBP internals to debug this situation.

Frankly, I am quite unhappy with MELabs and the entire user community. It would be different if anybody cared whether the product could be used or not. I am switching to the Swordfish compiler, which is being actively supported by the developer, David John Barker (who also wrote PIC Basic Pro). Swordfish is an advanced complier for Microchip 18XX parts. It has wonderful interrupt support and a truly sophisticated structure. I heartily recommend it.

rvctx Guest

Default COFF issue

Hello,

I also encountered recently the same issue, using PBP v2.47 and MPLAB 7.30 and 7.51. I don't have the solution, but found in Microchip MPLAB Readmes, a piece of information that might be linked to the problem:
    "Important MPLINK and MPLAB IDE Compatibility Note"
    it explains that trying to link object files or libraries compiled with a recent release of MPLAB (after v7.21 probably ), with an old version of MPLINK (prior v4.00 ) will generate a similar message to the one we get with PBP:
    "Error - Coff file format for 'yourfile.o' does not appear to be a valid COFF file."

Regards,