Frying PORT.B1 and B2?

+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Frying PORT.B1 and B2?

After a power "Blink", followed a couple seconds later by a power failure, it seems as if my 18F4620 PORT.B1 and B2 is fried.

I had it in a LAB-X1, which was powered by a small "wall wart", which was pluged into a surge protector (same one my computer runs off). I have modified the LAB-X1 to accomadate jumpers to change around the configuration of the board to accomadate different chips/projects. At the time, I was running the 4 data lines for a VFD (operates like a std LCD) off of B0-B4.

I have verified the all of the other hardware works by running a 16F877A and 18F4550 without any problems. I've also tried various other tasks with the bum 18F4620 (flashing LEDs, detecting button press) with no positive results. Beside those two lost pins, I seems to work OK (timers, I2C, USART).

I guess I am in a mild state of disbelief. I had the impression these little things were fairly robust.
    Is there anything I can do in the future to better protect the PIC?

Regards,
    Steve

Unhappy no miracle to wait for ....

Hi, Steve

Always use series resistors not to reach the maximum port allowable current ...

Sorry, but I do not have better.

Using Brown out detect ... may be (inputs as defaults ... but does not protect from surges from peripherals ...).

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Default I wouldn't be too sure....

I've even plugged a couple of them backwards. It seems to take a whole lot to fry one. The only way I can think of to really test your chip would be to put the identical program in an identical chip and see if it has the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by mugwamp
    ...put the identical program in an identical chip...
    Yea, I've got a replacement on the way. Should get it in a day or so. But I am almost certian it'a a goner, or at least those pins. I'll check for sure though. I may be able to use it in a future project that does not need all those pins.