getting started in a project, some help really appreciated

Closed Thread
    micronewb Guest

Default getting started in a project, some help really appreciated

Hi guys

I am looking to make a simple device, and i have been browsing your forum and really don't know where to start. I don't have any electronics experience, well actually the only experience i have was as a kid i learnt CDT (craft, design and technology) at school. I made an electronic radio at the time, but still don't have the skills, but i am a fast learner and i am trying to start this simple electronic project. What is the best component i should buy? I was thinking of getting the solderless development system (breadboard)

With solderless board, can i connect it to a PC via RS232 and program a piece of software to activate things on the solderless board?

Then i read about the Proton PICmicro Development board

What is the difference between this and a solderless development board?

I noticed with the prton development board you can add a LCD screen, but can i also add a LCD screen to the solderless development board?

As a first project i want to make a digital alarm clock and also different things and i want all the different projects to communicate with one another through either the proton development board, solderless board, or any other boards. So to be able to do this what parts would i need to buy? I also want the components to be able to be fully upgraded via parts and software programming?

If any of you could help in any way

Much appreciated

many thanks

Robert

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default You have to start somewhere...

Well, Robert, you've found your way to a board for people who use MELabs PicBasic. Obviously, there's a number of ways you can program your PIC so the first decision you have to make is what system you're going to use. Once you make that decision, then the next step would probably be to get a book that takes you through the process of learning how to make microcontrollers do what you want them to do. They're friendly little buggers but somewhat set in their ways and they don't compromise much. They'll do all the things you say you want to do but before you build a digital alarm clock, you've got start with having one flash an LED. It sounds simple but there's a lot of posts here from people who are having trouble getting that far. For PicBasic, I'm fond of either "PIC Microcontroller Project Book : For PIC Basic and PIC Basic Pro Compliers" by John Iovine or "Programming PIC Microcontrollers with PICBASIC" by Chuck Hellebuyck. Both are excellent books. Working with a simple breadboard is quite possible. There's also complete boards which have all the components in place like the MeLabs X-1.

Everybody's different in how they like to learn things. I like to jump in feet first. Other people might want to start slow and work gradually. Assuming you decide to go with either PicBasic or PicBasic Pro, you'll find that this board is an excellent source of of information and ideas.
    Last edited by mugwamp; - 4th May 2006 at 19:31.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Cool

Robert, Microchip sells a complete demo board, PicDem2 Plus, bundled with an ICD2 programmer. I don't know what your budget is, but I think this is the way to go. Trying to build up your own circuits on a proto board can be an excersize in frustration if you don't know electronics at all.

The PicDem board has sockets for several different Pics as well as actual samples of those Pics for you to try. The board also has working, proven circuits that let you implement all the functions of each Pic- A/D, RS232, LCD, blinky lights, and many more. I believe just about all the PBP sample programs can be configured and compiled to run on this board.

It comes complete with schematics and parts lists. Once you figure out how to get all the different parts working, and you want to spin a board of your own, you can just clone and/or modify those parts of the schematics that interest you, and, since you'll be a PBP expert by then, you won't have any problems getting it all to work together.

Klaus