PicBasic Pro & PicBasic syntax different

Closed Thread
    Billyc Guest

Thumbs down PicBasic Pro & PicBasic syntax different

I recently purchased a PicBasic Compiler from MicroEngineering Labs Inc. I have been trying to change the coded programs which were written for the PicBasic Pro. Could anyone direct me or let me know where I can get a Good introductory book paid or otherwise which will show a beginner how to program using the
    PicBasic Compiler. The Manual that came with this compiler is really really bad and after reading through the manual I am more confused than ever. A reply would be appreciated. WWC Bolton MA USA

ivancho Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Cool

I am affraid you are going to be a little bit disappointed. PIC BASIC PRO has huge power when compared to the PIC BASIC. There will be certain things that you will have a hard time changing. I have seen the book :

<b><a href="http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1455598&domain_id=1856&meta_id=1"><s pan style="font-size:18" >Pic Microcontroller Project Book</span></a><b/>
    <b>Format</b>: Paperback
    <b>ISBN</b>: 0-07135-4794
    April 2000
    <b>Publisher</b>: McGraw-Hill
    203 pages

It comes with a good example "library" and puts you up and running in no time.

Ivancho
    Last edited by ivancho; - 15th April 2004 at 21:45.

Billyc Guest

Ivancho are saying you that it is difficult to change syntax from PicBasic Pro to Standard PicBasic ? They want an arm and a leg for the PicBasic Pro compiler.

Billyc Guest

Thumbs down PicBasic Pro/PicBasic

Sorry again the Book you mentioned ivancho does that just cover standard PicBasic or does it cover both syntaxes PicBasic Pro and PicBasic sorry for the second question.

Billyc Guest

Thumbs down Pic Micro Project Book

Ivancho bought the book and is the one I was trying to find again thanks for help. If you go to Amazone books section you can get them reduced price.

ivancho Guest

Unhappy

THe book I mention covers onle the PIC BASIC compiler. They start the book by saying that you need only that , but once you work with PIC BASIC PRO (PBP) you see how much better it is. I know they want a lot for their program, not much that can be done there........or can there?

What happens is that PIC BASIC Compiler is a lite version of the other compiler PBP. With PBP you can address any register of the PIC buy just writing to the register's name, like TRISA = 0. To be able todo that in PICBASIC you need to define a variable as a memory location for register TRISA. Then you have to Poke the register, with the value you need to sent INPUTS/OUTPUTS.

And there are a ton more of changes. Don't get me wrong you can do a lot with PICBASIC, but you can do much more with PBP, among other you can do with PBP easier:

Analog to Digital Conversions - ADCIN
    Writting to a LCD - LCDOUT
    Hardware PWM- HPWM
    Hardware Serial - Hserin

There is a comparasion here: <url>http://www.melabs.com/products/comp_pro.htm</url>

Good Luck

Ivancho