Job Placement Service / Tech Support

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Default Job Placement Service / Tech Support

When I went to school for Telephone Systems in the early '80s, they had a Job Placement department that got me a job doing Telephone Systems.

This later turned into a CableTV Lineman Job. But after an injury, I went to school for AutoCad. And, of course, this school had a Job Placement department that immeadiately got me a job doing CAD drawings.

Now, I've found this really cool thing that I want to do for a Job, a.k.a "PicBasic Pro programming", and I'm stuck ... Where's the's Job Placement department? &nbsp; .... &nbsp; Oh yeah, ... where's the school?<hr>So here's my PBP Wish.

With each purchase of PicBasic Pro, you get a FREE Job Placement with a company in your local area. &nbsp; Of course, you would have to pass their training program at the nearest "PicBasic Pro training center", of which they have several hundred, located worldwide.

But then, I guess you can ask for just about anything you want here, since it's unlikely that anyone from meLabs will ever see this post.

In Fact, I've never seen any posts at all in these forum's from an meLabs employee.

So, let's scratch the previous wish, and make a new one.<hr>New Wish ...

I wish, that the meLabs Tech Support Department would take an active role in this Forum, so we can get a REAL glimps at what's going on inside, instead of just what people have been able to figure out so far. &nbsp; Or thought they figured out, so far!

It doesn't have to be an Answer Every Question type thing. Just peruse the posts every now and then, and answer anything that intrests you. &nbsp; Just like the rest of us!

Oh Yeah!, They won't see that either. Arrrrggghhhh!

DT
    <hr>
    Disclaimer: &nbsp; This is the personal opinion of the user Darrel Taylor,
    and should not be construde as the opinion of anyone else.
    Including the owners of this bulletin board system.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

That's one way of looking at it... but here's another...

The MeLabs Compiler is a tool in your toolbox, just like any other.

You pull a Soldering Iron out to glue some components to a board because you need to do it. After it's done, it's put away until the next time. It didn't come with a Soldering Course or a Job Placement - and probably it doesn't even come with a sticker telling you which end is hot.

However you CAN get a job stuffing components and melting solder all day long on an Assembly line if that floats your boat...

If you buy a complex product like a car, Ford Motor Co, doesn't care whether you use it for pleasure or business or for knocking people over in the street. It doesn't come with a Driving Course or a Job Placement. However if there is a major issue (wheel falls off when going over 70mph), they'll address it (probably through their legal department).

MeLabs answers all problems if you contact them directly, but they want to know if THEIR product is broke, and address that, and not with the fact that more than half the folks can't code properly, don't understand electronics or won't read Datasheets or Manuals.

It's my current Un-Employment state that has me Wishing for a Job Placement Service.

And, it's the "half the folks can't code properly, don't understand electronics or won't read Datasheets or Manuals" that has me Wishing for someone else to answer the same ol' questions.

Since none of the other "Wishes" in here have been fullfilled, I assumed it would be a good place to Whine about the things I'll never get too.

But hey, I'm glad you're still keeping tabs on my Tool...box.
    <br>
    DT

Smile

Hi Darrel and Melanie,

I just wanted to let both of you know how much I appreciate what BOTH of you fine folks contribute to this forum. In the past 2 years that I have been back at this "stuff" I take the time each morning and evening to read the various posts. Yes I agree that many of them could be answered by their authors if they spent the time to read previous posts. Someone just posted a question regarding their EPIC not working. That question really should have directed to ME Labs. Not here.

I just finished installing my second project, 2 160-zone annunciator panels for an apartment complex. My first project was a system that detects when trains are coming and is installed on one of Mentor, Ohio's busiest roads. It has been working great for over 2 years now. I was able to do these projects because of the information as guidance I got from this forum.

I can't begin to tell you and the other "pros" on this group how much I appreciate your time and expertise and contributions and how you are so thorough (and patient) with your responses. I do agree, though, that this doesn't put food on the table. I use to provide tech support for alarm systems on a news group for DIYers so I know what it's like.

Thank you, thank you and another thank you!

BobK

Cool

Darrel,

Open a PayPal account. Contact all the companies selling
    PicBasic and tell them that you provide technical support
    for people having problems or questions regarding programming
    with PicBasic. When you get an e-mail asking for support, tell
    them to send you 30 USD on your PayPal account or to call you
    on your paying technical support phone number. (The 30 USD are
    just to look at the problem). If the problem is simple, you send
    the answer at no additional charge or you give the answer over
    the phone after 10 minutes at $2.79 USD per minute. If the
    problem is complicated, ask for more money.

Best regards,

Luciano

I hear you Darrel, I'm in the same boat looking for a job. After looking for week the last several weeks I now understand why people start their own businesses.

The only redeeming feature of not working is more time finishing projects, and helping others. Generally this means more PICBasic coding.

As they always say "write if you find work."

Red face work vs. pay

While working my way through college, yep through college, I had some great opportunities afforded my, 2 internships one for an electronics designer and one for an ASIC semiconductor manufacture. While working these internships, I worked along side many engineers and techs. Here is what I noticed, most techs whined and whined and whined about how little they got paid compared to the EE's even though they "knew" just as much or more. Whether that was the case or not does not really matter. The first point is that the EE went to school longer, worker harder, spent more money to do it and the world has decided they are worth more financially for it.
    The second point ,,,,,You get what your work for in this life!
    Padawan-78

Default DT isnt your average Darrel

fanie,

Darrel is probably the best PBP programmer on this forum, it isnt like this guy is some hack who doesnt know what he wants to do... he would be and im sure IS a great employee at this point for anyone that needs a PBP programmer. Jobs are far and few between these days, and yeah, there is stuff out there, but darrel flipping burgers would be a huge waste of talent. I just wonder if he shouldn't just pick up java or C, it's really not as hard as people think, and i'd bet its used far more than PBP... most places that use PICs in a product are probably using pure assembly anyway...

I doubt there's any chance of having Darrel serve you up that next burger in the near
    future, and I also doubt he'll need to learn any programming language outside of PBP to
    keep that doubt current.

Darrel is probably the best PBP programmer on this forum
    Darrel's one of the best programmers around. What's really cool is that he does it all with
    PBP, and a tad of assembler if it needs some tweaks.

I wouldn't even consider Java for embedded programming. C is definitely an option, but
    there's little you can produce with even the best PIC C compiler out there that Darrel
    couldn't beat or at least match with PBP. Just my own opinion of course...;o}

It's not always the tool. It's the craftsman using it.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Thanks you two! I'm blushing ..

Well, just to update ...

It's been 2-1/2 years since I quit my job.

I'm still at home, paying the rent by writing programs.
    I'm still using PBP/ASM.
    I'm still sitting in the same chair 14hrs a day.
    And I've still got the hemorrhoids.
    (gotta get a new chair)

It's worth every minute of it!
    <br>
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Taylor View Post
    And I've still got the hemorrhoids
    Hmm, If you like your chair, keep it!. Now they treet hemorrhoids with laser once and for all!

Consider it as it is (I know) very painful....

Ioannis

T.Jackson Guest

Default Online PBP Course

Actually it surprises me as to why Darrel doesn't design / run some online course(s) for PBP. Setup a website specific for the purpose, design a course with theory and practicality (assignments), get the course accredited somehow and charge people $500 to enroll. Lot of Universities are all for online education (it is without a doubt the future)

Trent Jackson

Default Re: Job Placement Service / Tech Support

Ha ha! I found this 5 year old post ironic on two levels.

1. Darrel now works for Melabs
    2. Darrel IS the answer to his own "New Wish".

When I went to school for Telephone Systems in the early '80s, they had a Job Placement department that got me a job doing Telephone Systems.

This later turned into a CableTV Lineman Job. But after an injury, I went to school for AutoCad. And, of course, this school had a Job Placement department that immeadiately got me a job doing CAD drawings.

Now, I've found this really cool thing that I want to do for a Job, a.k.a "PicBasic Pro programming", and I'm stuck ... Where's the's Job Placement department? .... Oh yeah, ... where's the school?<hr>So here's my PBP Wish.

With each purchase of PicBasic Pro, you get a FREE Job Placement with a company in your local area. Of course, you would have to pass their training program at the nearest "PicBasic Pro training center", of which they have several hundred, located worldwide.

But then, I guess you can ask for just about anything you want here, since it's unlikely that anyone from meLabs will ever see this post.

In Fact, I've never seen any posts at all in these forum's from an meLabs employee.

So, let's scratch the previous wish, and make a new one.<hr>New Wish ...

I wish, that the meLabs Tech Support Department would take an active role in this Forum, so we can get a REAL glimps at what's going on inside, instead of just what people have been able to figure out so far. Or thought they figured out, so far!

It doesn't have to be an Answer Every Question type thing. Just peruse the posts every now and then, and answer anything that intrests you. Just like the rest of us!

Oh Yeah!, They won't see that either. Arrrrggghhhh!

DT
    <hr>
    Disclaimer: This is the personal opinion of the user Darrel Taylor,
    and should not be construde as the opinion of anyone else.
    Including the owners of this bulletin board system.

So, be careful what you wish for,right?

Ioannis

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

And I found the school.
    But the Job Placement came first.

I've learned so much being around Charles and Jeff...
    And answering the phones and emails all day are the exercises, quizzes and tests.

Unfortunately, when dealing with 15-20 people a day, I can't spend 4-5 hours troubleshooting individual problems like I used to. So now I can understand why they didn't participate in the forum very often.

Yes, be careful what you wish for.
    Because years later, it just might come true.
    And it might be better than you thought it would be.

Waking up in the morning wanting to go to work, is something I've never experienced before.
    DT

Waking up in the morning wanting to go to work, is something I've never experienced before.
    Me either ! You DESERVE A Job like that Darrel ! I am VERY HAPPY you got it. Kudos to M E Labs for making it available.
    I cannot think of anyone more suited to helping people.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    I cannot think of anyone more suited to helping people.
    Double that.

Also noted that Darrel has moved from California?

Hope wether is good there too. Like my sunny place

Ioannis

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.