"CE" mark self certification - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: "CE" mark self certification

I have to agree that you would need to do the test in a lab but pre-testing can easily be done with a low cost spectrum analyzer and sniffer probes (1000 usd) and is a very useful tool to find the RF hot spots on your design. This can both help you pass the test in the first try and also llimit the costs later to find what is actually the problem if you fails.

Once you have the EMC-test report (passed or failed) you can easily find the same characteristics with the sniffer probe but the actual levels is not the same. But you can atleast clearly see if the changes you do to the product helps or not.

Also it is a great tool for production verification to make sure your products comply with the EMC after a while.

Hi all,

Thank you for some great insights into the CE process.

I have a question - I import products from China, and sell them on eBay.

I make sure the products which need CE according to the New Directives have a CE certificate from the manufacturer.

Is this sufficient? or do I need to certify the goods myself?

Regards

Dan

As long as you have a CE certificate from the manufacturer and that certificate is issued by an accredited laboratory, responsibility belongs to manufacturer; and you are required to provide this certificate in case of a concern.

Usually, the certificate is just a required paperwork; nothing else; and mostly asked by customs.
    No one will try to test your product to see whether it passes the test procedures or not.
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

If the manufacturer is based outside the EU and does not appoint an official Authorised Representative, then the person importing the products becomes responsible for ensuring that they comply with the directive(s) which apply to them. At very least, it is recommended that the importer obtain a copy of the original Declaration of Conformity.

If the goods is made in China, the person that puts the goods on the EU market is legaly responsible if the goods does not meet the requirements such as intruction books and such. Of course the importer can try to get compensation from the factory... but the EU agencies will go after the importer.

I would say it depends alot of the quantity and kind of goods. But if I were to import bigger amounts of some product I would definatly ask to get a copy of the lab reports (LVD, EMC and RoHS). If they can not show this it could be a fake CE declaration.

"No one will try to test your product to see whether it passes the test procedures or not." This statement I really do not agree with. Your products might be tested by government agencies as part of product safety. Lamps, toys and solar chargers have recently been targeted for testing so it happens. In these tests safety, EMC and RoHS have been the major areas of interest.

In some cases it have resulted in that the product has been recalled from the market and some importers getting a fine for breaking the rules.
    Last edited by Jumper; - 17th November 2012 at 10:08.

Despite all the fear mongering, all you need is a statement of compliance (declaration of conformity) from the manufacturer.
    This is also true for UL/CSA in North America. If anyone ever asks, show the statement. I have been told this by the certification lab I use for products I develop. (TUV Germany)

There is no expectation of retest by an importer - frankly, most are non-technical and would not know where to start, and if you went to a certification lab they would say "I'm happy to take your money, but there is no need".

Just file away the certificate and sleep comfortably at night.

Thanks guys, thats useful info

gkervill Guest

Yes - Jumper is absolutely right - under most of the Directives (some differ slightly - other differ greatly) the importer carries responsibility.

Please me aware that Enforcement Officers have changed tack. in the 90's they would buy products and test them.

Now they just ask for documentation. If you don't have a Declaration of Conformity - big problem.

If you call up the wrong Directives or don't have reports things also get sticky.

During the last year or so the UK MoD announced they 'require' products to conform consumer regulations and bear the CE Marking IF IT WAS PRACTICAL. Bullets are I believe still exempt.

G