PicBasic Pro CAN Support?

Closed Thread
    RMUTR Guest

Question PicBasic Pro CAN Support?

Hi PicBasic Pro Developer Team.

When PicBasic Compiler CAN (Controller Area Network) Support?

CAN Support a need.

Regards.
    RMUTR

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Exactly, all the Controller Area Network stuff is in C Routines from MicroChip, or is for the Atmegas. I don't know enough C to convert it to PBP but as popular as CAN is now you figure there would be some PBP Info on it.

Seems like most of this stuff is TOP Secret for some odd reason (Money)

Money seems as good reason as any to me!

If somebody develops CAN or TCP/IP or whatever, they put a lot of their time and energies and development into it - and you then expect them to publish the code for everone to use for free? So that for no effort on your part you can then build something and go into competion with the person that did all the work. Most people that have put in the time and done the development have done so because they have mortgages to pay and families to feed...

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    Money seems as good reason as any to me!

If somebody develops CAN or TCP/IP or whatever, they put a lot of their time and energies and development into it - and you then expect them to publish the code for everone to use for free? So that for no effort on your part you can then build something and go into competion with the person that did all the work. Most people that have put in the time and done the development have done so because they have mortgages to pay and families to feed...

I think you took my statement out of context. I never said I wanted anything for free. If it was then great, if not then so be it.

If you notice, there are a lot of other protocols which are published or have code snippets available. I was curious why there wasn't for PBP and CAN.

There are also several protocols that people hold private like CAN and Modbus, most likely because they are considered as Industry related protocols and not hobby related. I will using it for my company project, si I could care less if it wasn't free, but was reasonable.

I wrote a Modbus stack from scratch for Pic's and PC's and it's not like it was all that difficult, especially if you know the protocol specifications. Nothing but Bytes.

If the Libs were available for PBP, I would purchase them to save the time of development. Again, I don't see any, they are all for the C Compilers which does me absolutely no good.

So let me rephrase my question.

Does anyone know of any CAN or J1939 Libraries available for the Pic Processor and PicBasic Pro (free or Purchased)?