Newbee - Writing Own Functions, INCLUDE, Target Header, Library Files

Closed Thread
    PBP_NeuBoi Guest

Question Newbee - Writing Own Functions, INCLUDE, Target Header, Library Files

Hi

I have just got PBP 2.04. I have just read 30 pages of the PBP manual dealing with how PBP works. As I have an older version, some current functions are not available to PBP 2.04, as well as many PIC models.

I am also learning C, and have resources like Visual Studio 6.0 and VS .NET, CCS C, IAR C, and Microchip Student 18Series PIC C, and have done some PIC C, VB, Java (yuck) programming for a hobby several years ago. At uni many years ago I did a course in Pascal, and recently completed an introductory C programming course using 8255 and AD/DA PC interfaces. I would like to learn some VC++/C++ using Visual Studio to implement my ideas. I also have access to Borland Delphi if needed.

What I would like to do is write my own functions, libraries, INCLUDEs, and Target Headers. It seems apparent that this could be done in assembly to some degree. However, does anyone know of other ways to achieve these goals using C, and/or VC++, and/or VB routines and/or making dll files that somehow could be used to create functions and libraries with only basic ASM skill level? For example, extending the MATH functions, and including 32-bit real and floating point math in C some how - wrappers?, DLLs?, others? maybe using batch files, Make files or some sort of scripting to tie the technologies together in some package and to give some encapsulation.

It seems thet the Microchip MPASM PIC device definitions files would be handy.

I don't expect a hand-holding explanation here, but if someone could please outline some areas to focus on and a brief list of resources/links it would be a cool way to extend PBP 2.04 etc.

Your ideas and thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers

|-]

Dale

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

PBP_NeuBoi, For starters the version of PBP you have just "Got" is a very old version. PBP 2.46 is the latest version and has gone thru many changes and added keywords and functions. If you are going to write code in PBP I suggest you invest in the latest version first.

Dave Purola,
    N8NTA

PBP_NeuBoi Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default More Challenging

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. Yes I understand that upgrading is an option. However, I will learn so much more by undertaking this project and increase my development skills, and it is a more challenging option to merely upgrading. As a student, these areas are directly transferable to my course, and if I study at uni later I will have a very solid foundation.

I would appreciate responses from thoses who can offer helpful suggestions from a technical point of view.

Cheers

| -]

Dale
    Last edited by PBP_NeuBoi; - 13th December 2005 at 01:29.