Melabs USB Programmer

Closed Thread
    tmurph Guest

Unhappy Melabs USB Programmer

Hello,
    I seem to be having problems using my new USB programmer using some 18F parts.

I recently bought a new laptop that does not have a parallel port and of course can't use me Epic programmer. I purchased the USB programmer from Melabs. I am able to progam a 16F876 without problem, but if I use either the 18F2320 or the 18F4320, I get a Code Programming Error. If I am trying to load one of the bootloaders, the error is always at 1D70. If it is a regular program, I get an error at 0008.

The regular program is one that I wrote and successfully programmed into an 18F2320 part using the Epic programmer on my old laptop.

I have added the .01uf cap as suggested in the troubleshooting section on Melabs website, and also checked that the programming voltage is "about" 13 volts (reads 12.5).

Just took a 2320 and programmed the 4-MHz bootload into it without problem on the Epic programmer and old laptop, the tried to reprogram on the new setup, no go. All of the configurations are set the same...

Anyone use the Melab's USB programmer successfully with these chips before? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
    tmurph

tmurph Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Smile USB Programmer Fix

Just in case anyone is interested. I contacted Jeff at Melabs about my problem and he suggested increasing the added on capacitor from .01uf to .1uf. That worked for the 2320 but not the 4320. I added on another .1 to make it .2uf and that fixed the problem.
    Just thought I would pass that on to anyone who may have seen a similar prolem.
    tmurph