problem with my EPIC

Closed Thread
    Rhatidbwoy Guest

Default problem with my EPIC

I am trying to program my 16f628 with the epic and I am having problems. One of them is that I have code probleming error @ and that is getting to me. I have tried many things like getting a power supply (13VAC) also changing my parallel cord and even low voltage pin to ground. I am not getting anything to work. is there any help out there for this problem.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question Epic Problem With 16f628

I have the same problem also.
    I will try to define it better.
    I use PICBASICPRO(2.46) to compile a program that programs (EPIC2.46beta) and runs OK on a PIC 16F84 or16F84A .

The same sourcecode with proper mods for 16F628 or 16F628A gives "CODE PROGRAMMING ERROR " using Epic but does program and run as expected when I use MPLAB IDE +PICSTART (I was only able to test 16F628 because the 16F628A needs an upgrade to the PICSTART and I dont yet have it) .

So the source code is OK chip is OK and the problem lies with Epic programmer/software which on the other hand works fine with other procesors.

My intention is to use 16F628A and not 16F628 since it is the newest chip.

The Epic 's programmers options have been taken care off.
    The power DC supply is OK and I even tried with fresh batteries .
    Up today I did search MELABS and found the mods needed on the ZIF base but nothing!!!
    I also tested the PGM (portb.4) pin tied LOW during programming which is suggested as remedy from MELABS but nothing)!!!!!!
    I searched this Forum but found nothing to solve the problem so i gather it must be only me having problems and perhaps you.

An info bit which I think is suggested somewhere on the net is that maybe
    we should change the 7404 chip on the Epic with a faster one?????

I hope someone might help.

Try changing the 2 pull ups on the Clock and Data lines from the original 10K to 2.2 K. It worked for me.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

Thumbs up Epic Problem With 16f628 SOLVED

Dear Anand Dhuru
    I did what you suggested and it worked .
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    I believe MicroEnginnering should quote on this as it can be a problem with many others.
    Note that I did purchase the Epic programmer built and tested .
    Thank you again
    BILL

bitbanger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ardhuru
    Try changing the 2 pull ups on the Clock and Data lines from the original 10K to 2.2 K. It worked for me.
    Regards,
    Anand Dhuru
    Anand,
    There are three 10K resistors on my EPIC Plus, and can't find a skematic diagram for it. The help guide lists them as R5, R8 and R10. Which ones are the pullups you mentioned?

I am fighting a weird problem all day trying to program the 16F88 with mine. It programs ok about 1 out 15 trys, and that one only after a full erase.

Hi,

In my schematic they are denoted R3 and R4. Anyway, if you have the original EPIC PCB, these two are the ones directly below Q1.

Alternately, you could trace them to pin nos. 12 and 13 on the 18 pin programming socket.

Regards,

Anand

bitbanger Guest

Thanks,
    My EPIC Plus currently has 1K resistors in for R3 and R4. By any chance did you mean to change the original 1K resistors to 2.2K? I am guessing the idea is to have "stronger" pull-ups right? I guess I'll stick with what I have. Maybe that is what the "plus" part was all about.

Hello,

No, if you already have 1 K pullups. dont bother changing them to 2.2K. That is unlikely to help. In this case, I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

Regards,

Anand

you can try to change the 7404 chip.
    sometimes he is destroyed because of over voltage at the LPT port.

Default problem

Hi I'm having the same problem, I get an error message saying "Code error at..."... I tried changing my adapter and cable... But nothing worked..I'm getting another error message "Target device does not match the selected device".. I'm using pic16f84a... But if I select it frm the list I get this erro message.. If I select pic16f84 I'm not getting any kind of problems(but still I'm not able 2 program my uC)..

Plz I need some help, its been months since I've bought this programmer, but still I'm unable to use it...

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elankart View Post
    Hi I'm having the same problem, I get an error message saying "Code error at..."... I tried changing my adapter and cable... But nothing worked..I'm getting another error message "Target device does not match the selected device".. I'm using pic16f84a... But if I select it frm the list I get this erro message.. If I select pic16f84 I'm not getting any kind of problems(but still I'm not able 2 program my uC)..

Plz I need some help, its been months since I've bought this programmer, but still I'm unable to use it...
    How many of the troubleshooting steps listed at MeLabs have you tried?

nearly everything..

Like you said, you have 2 separate problems here. The first seems to be a harware problem; let look into that later.

The second one, I suspect is this; are you using a statement that defines the PIC within your code (as in @ Device Pic16F84A .... ) with Microcode Studio? Chances are you have defined a different PIC in the MCS option of 'Target Processor'. I mean, your code might be specifying a 16F84A, but MCS is looking for a 16F84 (or the other way around).

Give us a feedback on the above, and then we'll move on to the hardware issue.

Regards,

Anand

skimask Guest

nearly everything..
    This is the parallel type EPIC programmer right?

Does it start to program and then quit for some silly reason? Windows XP may periodically access printer ports and interrupt the EPIC programming process. This can be stopped with a registry entry. Go to MeLabs for the registry fix. I had a similar problem with my Warp13a, only it was caused by the motherboard's periodic temperature sensor/fan sensor reading about every 5 seconds or so. Made me pull hair out until I disabled it in BIOS.

Power supply - >13VAC or >16VDC?

Parallel port set to "standard" or "ECP" (try both) in the bios setup

Use the Windows Task Manager to stop the process "spoolsv.exe".

Sorry misread previous suggestion about the LPT patch.

BTW, i don't think it's a good idea to kill the Spoolsv.exe process...unless it sucks 99% of your system ressource... if so.. it's probably a virus, a bad network setup (if any), or bad printer(device) driver anyways.

EDIT: are you programming your PIC in the ZIF socket or using ICSP?
    Last edited by mister_e; - 24th April 2007 at 01:44.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

no ZIF... ICSP... I mounted my uC in the socket provided...

If you're using ICSP, you followed the following method and schematic?

http://www.melabs.com/support/icsp.htm

THE LVP/PGM pin is really tied/loaded to GND (if there's any on the PIC you're using)?
    Last edited by mister_e; - 24th April 2007 at 21:25.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.