Advice on melabs programmer

Closed Thread

Default Advice on melabs programmer

I recently bought a U2 melabs programmer. It programs 5 different PIC's without a problem. However it will not program a 16F819. All I get is "TARGET DEVICE DOES NOT MATCH SELECTED DEVICE." Any ideas what I should try to get this to work? Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Advice on melabs programmer

Quote Originally Posted by peterdeco1 View Post
    I recently bought a U2 melabs programmer. It programs 5 different PIC's without a problem. However it will not program a 16F819. All I get is "TARGET DEVICE DOES NOT MATCH SELECTED DEVICE." Any ideas what I should try to get this to work? Thank you.
    Hi

I programmed 16f819's and 818's in the past with my u2 without problem. Many times these kind of errors are from having a bad connection between the programmer and pic. Or having the PGD and PGC reversed.

Otherwise your best bet is to email Melabs support, they are always helpful.

Not sure what the other successful PICs were, but the U2 Programmer has 2 different connector headers; one for upto 20 pins, and one for 28/40 pins. Also, the orientation of the target device is up-side-down between the 2 options. Make sure you have the header plugged in correctly and that your PIC is oriented correctly. Check the instructions for pictures & such.

The PIC's that are programming properly are 8 pin 12F629, 12F675 and 12F683. The 28 pin PIC's programming properly are 16F73 and 16F872. It's only the 16F819 that doesn't work.

Is your pic16f819 the 18 or 20 pin version? Check the data sheet. The programming pins are not in the same location. Your mclr, PGC and PGD need to line up in the ziff socket. If you are doing in circuit programming check your wiring again.