+ Reply to Thread

Default Using old tricks on "new" hardware can yeld nice results (1602 LCD hack)

During the ZX Spectrum times, we had to use very tight timing, to achieve non-usual graphics effects, which where in theory, not possible on that hardware. I tried same approach to 1602 LCD

This is standard 1602 LCD, just inverse display (but this works with normal LCD's too). No hardware mods, not using user accessible ram for this. Guess how that effect was achieved?

https://youtu.be/1-TSWFjJ9sk

Default Re: Using old tricks on "new" hardware can yeld nice results (1602 LCD hack)

I guess that you won't tell us
    Also won't to tell how to animate nixie Still waiting on update...

Default Re: Using old tricks on "new" hardware can yeld nice results (1602 LCD hack)

I'm going to guess, from the "very tight timing" hint in your post that you are writing and re-writing before the screen can completely update. Going a step farther - writing blank space/s alternately to the text?

What amoque said plus putting display in freezer to slow it down
    This is more entertaining than Free to Air TV

For the nixies, I'm now at design stage of PCB, so I will be selling finished kits with these effects for cheap.

This particular trick is done very easily - Since controller in these screens is very slow, so are LCD panels, it is hard to do anything via software. But I did a little trick - contrast adjustment pin is connected to MCU, so when it is pulled down, screen goes blank much faster than via software update. To bring it back, tri-state port is switched to OFF All what was needed is to measure LCD update screen and blank it accordingly. This "redraw" can be moved from up to down, or down to up, can be done not via two lines as there, but via 1/4/6/etc.