+ Reply to Thread

Default Data through GPRS - How to?

I have to log my PIC measurement data from a point with no internet, phone line or ability to have a cable.

So, the only available solution seems to be the GPRS modem. But since these are not point to point, a server is needed I guess.

Anyone with experience on this? On the server what software should be running to relay the data? Are there free services for low quantity of data?

Any help appreciated.
    Ioannis

Default Re: Data through GPRS - How to?

Ioannis, What type of distance are you talking about for the data transfer? Over here in the US I am using the 9XStream 900 Mhz. spread spectrum wireless modem's to remotely control all 5 of my dual axis tracking solar collectors. I developed a mother board in which the modem sits with a 18F27K40 processor. This board then converts the data stream to RS485. These modems can maintain a link up to 10 miles with the appropriate yagi antenna's.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Maybe this will be of interest?
    Siemens MC35i
    Lester - Forum Administrator
    -----------------------------------
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Thanks both for the replies.

@Dave:

Great job indeed! But you do have line of sight. Unfortunately I do not have this luxury. The point of interest is a water well and surrounded by hills. Even with a mast is difficult to get clear horizon.

@Lester:
    I saw your advertisement and is really tempting but as this project is not one off I need to have a relatively stable source of components and price. Also the parts rather be mounted on one board and not scattered in small pcb's.

Though, my questions is if I can communicate from a GSM/GPRS module directly to a (static) IP without a server, as a Point-to-Point system.

Ioannis

In most cases you would send your data from the mobile (GPRS in your case) to a server, storing the data there. You woukd then acces the data from your application and process the data as you wish.

The server is just an application sitting on an accessible IP address, so your point to point is possible, if you imagine the other far point to be an accessible IP address.

So do you mean (a) send from GPRS device to public IP address where a service ( application) of some kind is running awaiting the data

or

(b) send from a GPRS device directly to another GPRS device.

If (b) then in general the answer is NO. BUT its posssible and its how M2M systems operate. You will need to buy a SIM that is configured by the network service provider to provide a STATIC - PUBLIC -IP address for use with M2M services. Then you can go point to point GPRS device to GPRS device.

Its generally cheaper to go via a small cloud server and have the GPRS device collect or send data to the small cloud server. Because the networks charge commercial rates for the MSM SIM.

There is another way to achieve point to point between dedicated devices running over your Mobile data link and that also requires a cloud server, but the server does nothing other than allow the devices to log in. In this case you can use reverse SSH tunneling. Your mobile devices are then connected to each other over a Tunnel ( like a VPN)

I've done this A LOT to achieve point to point connectivity accross the globe using throw away Pay-As-You-Go sim cards and cheap modems. :-) If your data rates are low - very low - you can even do it over DNS to achieve world wide data connectivity for Zero or near Zero cost.

Its what I do
    Lester - Forum Administrator
    -----------------------------------
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Just another suggestion. You can use FTP or EMail.
    Look at SIM800c. There is fw with implemented FTP and EMail client.

I have used a PIC and a SIM900 to send a text message using the cell network to remotely monitor temperature in an unoccupied building.
    I have also used a Raspberry Pi Zero to collect data and append it to a spreadsheet on a Google drive over GPRS. That might be your simplest solution.

Thanks all.

My project is from a difficult to reach by RF or land line point to a PC somewhere with internet access. I can demand that my client installs thee a static internent connection.

Hopefully this will eliminate the server as I do not want to have it in the middle (at least for the moment).

With the above arrangement I guess I can get my serial data (about 150- 250 bytes, transmitted regularly every 10 minutes or so) fed to the GPRS and received on a PC port (after some router port settings).

Email looks like a good idea, as long as it is not blocked by a spam filter that happens to act on its own mind.

Ioannis
    Last edited by Ioannis; - 26th October 2019 at 16:43.

You could use your own acc. So server would see traffic from you and your device.
    I never had problem with that.