+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PIC in ARCNET

Default PIC in ARCNET

Has anyone used one of these devices in an ARCNET network? Yes, arcnet is old but I hear it is making a comeback and you get a free 8 track of Bee Gees when you order the hardware. Anyway, GE Medical used arcnet within most of their older medical equipment which is still around. I've used a USB22 device from Contemporary Controls and created Windows based software for communicating to the system. One of my projects is to take this Windows based software and put it into a microcontroller. At the moment my plan is to use the 18F4680 in part because it has UART and CAN. The arcnet controller is a COM20020i and the network driver is an HYC9088 for coax. I have the schematics for the GE system which can be used as a reference design. I also found a reference design online, but it was a Heathkit/Zenith board. Based upon a quick review, it seems that the pic will interface using an 8 bit data bus and either a multiplexed address bus or a separate 3 bit address bus. Set some registers, then read and write the data. The data packets I need to communicate are fairly simple. Let me know if anyone has any experience with such networks.
    thanks

Default Re: PIC in ARCNET

Clearly ARCNET is not that popular. It does work well and has some advantages over both CAN and TCP but it lacks support which really limits its use.