+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting data from user, how to store it properly? (kinda dialog interface)

Hello.

I'm building a simple digital controller, which works like this: User enters number of points (steps) to move head to. At each step, user enters desired x/y/z positions and movement speeds. Then the task is done based on user entered data. However, user might choose 1 or say 32 points (steps) to do. How get this data from user, and where to store it? my rough idea is like this

Code:
    FOR A=0 TO B*5 STEP 5' where B is number of total steps to be done.
    GOSUB ENTRYFORM 'Go to subroutine, where user enters X/Y/Z/Speed data. this routine returns values in variables X, Y, Z, S, where each hold appropriate data like position and speed
    WRITE A, X 'Write data to eeprom
    WRITE A+1,Y
    WRITE A+2,Z
    WRITE A+3,S
    NEXT
    I guess this will work, but is there a way to do it without using eeprom ? and there might be another data too, so not all chips might have enough eeprom available. I think it is possible to do this using ARRAYWRITE, but I did not fully understood how to use it, despite reading the reference manual. For the array variables, it is ok, but since I'm using PIC16F886 device, and array variables there are limited to 48 WORD variable, this might allow me to store only 12 "steps" - almost same limitation as eeprom. So it there a way to have more "steps", say 30-40, each of which holds set of 4 WORD variables?

Default Re: Getting data from user, how to store it properly? (kinda dialog interface)

48 word array will hold 48 steps...
    Just create array for x,y,z,s...
    Eg
    Code:
    X VAR WORD[48]
    Y VAR WORD[48]
    Z VAR WORD[48]
    S VAR WORD[48]

FOR steps=0 to NoOfSteps
        x[steps]....
        y[steps].... 
        z[steps]....
        s[steps]....
    NEXT steps

Default Re: Getting data from user, how to store it properly? (kinda dialog interface)

My son is building a video game (just the screen software, no hardware). What you are discussing is sounding familiar.

Not sure what you're building (3-D printer?) but I just saw this on the Microchip site. It is about using XC8, not PBP, but the concept should be portable to Basic:

http://microchipdeveloper.com/tls210...ing-structures
    Last edited by mpgmike; - 16th May 2019 at 04:46. Reason: Add link
    I don't need the world to know my name, but I want to live a life so all my great-grandchildren proudly remember me.

tried to impement a structure some years back in pbp , result is a bit clumsy and possibly not worth the effort
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...ghlight=struct
    This is more entertaining than Free to Air TV

Thanks, what I'm trying to build is a programmable movie camera crane, for some cinematic action.

I'm wondering if it may be beneficial to restrict the project to chips with EEPROM? It seems somewhat tedious to enter all those numbers... and then lose them with a loss of power - intentional or not. I suppose, if things remain simple... But I imagine a complex set-up taking days - any interruption of power would mean starting again.

I imagine myself using an external EEPROM chip - complex set-ups or repeat shots could be saved, transferred between rigs, or even programmed via PC. Maybe something like Excel to calculate the camera path and then exporting via serial would greatly enhance the capabilities of the crane - while reducing the set-up time.
    Last edited by Amoque; - 17th May 2019 at 18:23. Reason: Spelleng :)

Might I suggest FM24W256 from RamTron. It is an EEPROM with NO write delay and 151 year data retention. I use them on quite a few of my products and have had NO failures at all. They also support 100Khz. and 400Hhz. clock speeds.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn