Programmer help
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Programmer help

Default Programmer help

I need to ask another question. I have an old EPIC parallel port programmer but no parallel port convenient right now so need to use either serial or usb.

I have a Pickit programmer but hate it and don't want to install Mchip software if I don't have to. The EPIC is great because all you do is load a hex file and burn the chip -- that's it. 2 steps. For my occasional use, that works for me -- too much to remember with the pickit.

Is there a programmer that is either serial port or USB that runs on Win7 that will be as easy as my old EPIC? -- thanks very much for any help.

Default Re: Programmer help

ME Labs has the U2 Programmer. I own and use one.

http://store.melabs.com/prod/u2/U2BUN.html
    I don't need the world to know my name, but I want to live a life so all my great-grandchildren proudly remember me.

The U2 usb programmer is great, but it is expensive compared to pickit.

http://store.melabs.com/prod/u2/U2.html

Mike replied while I was typing
    Last edited by mark_s; - 25th April 2019 at 17:08.

Do what I do. I have a Picstart Plus for parallel port and use a parallel to serial adapter. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_s
    The U2 usb programmer is great, but it is expensive compared to pickit.
    True. If you want cheap, Microchip has their Snap Programmer, runs about $20 US. Works similar to the PICkit3.

Over the years I accumulated an Olimex (never could get it to work), a PICkit2 knock-off (haven't used it in about 7 years), PICkit3, ME Labs U2, Snap, and recently IDC4. No, I don't need that many. However, the 2 I use the most are the U2 and PICkit3.
    I don't need the world to know my name, but I want to live a life so all my great-grandchildren proudly remember me.

Ok thanks. Wasn't familiar with U2 maybe can find one used and just read about the JDM? which uses a serial port and the simple EPIC procedure.

The main thing I like about the U2 is the software. The configuration check list makes it easy for each device, no need to type out the configs in code.

@peterdeco1 great idea, but how do you add new device?

I'm sorry. I don't understand what you mean by new device. I use MPLAB with the Picstart Plus. Picstart Plus was discontinued. Last year brand new ones were on ebay for $50. Recently the only ones I saw on ebay are used and selling for $100 or more. Sorry I didn't snatch up a couple new ones.

Also, someone suggested I try pickit plus software to use with the pickit3 I have but have been searching everywhere on how to download it. Can't find it. I use my EPIC because as an occasional user, I find the whole Pickit3 and mplab thing very difficult.

When Microchip introduced the new MPLABX IDE, the also introduced the MPLABX IPE for programming. The IPE takes the place of legacy programming software like PICkit. It is designed to work with all of Microchip's programmers, as well as approved 3rd party pieces. It's a free download at microchip.com. Look under Design/Development Tools/Software Tools for PIC.../MPLABX IDE.

Also, someone suggested I try pickit plus software to use with the pickit3 I have but have been searching everywhere on how to download it. Can't find it. I use my EPIC because as an occasional user, I find the whole Pickit3 and mplab thing very difficult.
    You can use both PicKit2 and PicKit3 standalone (ie without Mplab whatever) both as GUI and command line. You can download PicKit2 software from https://www.microchip.com/Developmen...tails/pg164120 I'm sure there is an equivalent page for PicKit3.

Fwiw I think that IPE is not quite but almost as dreadful as MPLabX. The only circumstance I can imagine where it would be necesary to use it would be if I were using an unsupported PIC device and in that situation I would use PicKit2Plus.
    George

Final question.

Looks like the IPE is part of the IDE download? You need to install both? -- thanks.
    Hopefully the IPE will work with a Pickit3 ebay clone? (maybe, maybe not?)

You will will find it easier to use PicKit3 standalone.
    George

Sorry. Didn't read your reply well enough. If anyone knows where to download it? Just looked, no luck so far.

Looks like the IPE is part of the IDE download? You need to install both?
    There's only one outrageously large download and it contains both the MPLABX IDE and IPE.
    You can install them together or individually. The last time I installed just the IPE
    it didn't save much disk space but that might have changed. Be prepared... it's hugh install
    (4-5GB) since it now includes support for almost every processor known to man and you don't get a choice.

For the standalone apps you can find the old devtool archive here:
    https://www.microchip.com/developmen...nloads-archive

The Pickit2 and pickit3 standalone programming apps are at the bottom of the page.
    For the pickit3 you have a choice of two:
    PICkit 3 Stand Alone Programmer App v1.0
    PICkit 3 Programmer App and Scripting Tool v3.10

The first one was the original version. It worked so-so.
    Many prefered the second one, which basically turns your pickit3 into a pickit2 with the same set
    of device support as the PK2. Neither of these has been updated in years.

Or, for something more up to date you can try Pickit3Plus (which was written by a third party)
    available at http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/Types...php/PICkitPlus
    This one isn't free.

Be aware that if you try to swap between the different apps you will need to reprogram the firmware
    in the PK3 as they all use different internal firmware.

Not at all confusing, isn't it?

Thanks very much. I did a copy and paste on your info and put it in my notes as I'll no doubt need to refresh my memory down the road.
    Appreciate it.

The stand alone for Pickit2 and Pickit3 where discontinued by Microchip (do not understand why as the MPLAB, MPLABX and IPE are too complicated).

But at this page you can find the new stand alone for this programmers:

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...ghlight=pickit

But is not free. A small donation is required to have the link to download the new application.

I did and was very happy. Support is immediate and works just fine!

Note that you have to use different firmware to work with MPLAB or Stand alone. The change can be done very easy fromthe menu Tools of the new program.

Ioannis