ANNEX ESP8266 basic announcement and invitation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ANNEX ESP8266 basic announcement and invitation

Hi group,

Its been a while since I made a post here as I have been busy as an informal beta tester on a new OS for the esp8266 (and future esp32) modules.

I'd like to invite you all to check out ANNEX RDS Home

This is an incredibly capable BASIC operating system for the ESP8266 modules (most any/all of them)

The amazing thing is that once Annex is flashed to the module via a usb connection then all your code development takes place from an IDE webpage that is hosted right on the module itself!
    There is no need to compile or upload new code to the module. It all takes place from a wifi connection directly with the module and from a web browser.
    There is a vast amount of example code and very well documented language reference.

With just a few lines of code you can send an email/text message based on an input. Create a webpage with buttons, sliders, meters, temperature values, ect. ect.

I can't say enough good about Annex RDS (Rapid Development System)

It is also very easy to integrate it to a PIC microcontroller for the web interface or wifi capability via serial or what ever you choose.

NTP time is super simple.
    LCD's, I2C, mems gyros, PWM, OLED, IR remotes.

If you have been around here for a while you may recall a similar post about espBASIC but this is different and MUCH more stable and capable.

really you will be amazed and delighted at its capability and simplicity of use.
    Come on over and check it out!!

Not a replacement for this very powerful PICBASIC but an amazing tool to add wifi in just a few lines of code.

regards
    dwight
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Default Re: ANNEX ESP8266 basic announcement and invitation

That sound great.
    But I have one question.
    It that module is integrated in commercial product, how I can protect code inside?

Thanks! Looks like it could be very useful. Is this the same developers as ESP8266Basic.com?

Annex is NOT the same as the older espBASIC.

This Annex is developed by cicciocb (forum name) and he was a late contributor to the other espBASIC but found that it had so many bugs and was unstable. He has done a complete new OS and it has MANY more features and is (so far) rock stable.

As far as developing for commercial I would send cicciocb a message and ask that question to him.

You could also develop the majority of your code using PBP and the PIC microcontroller and only have the esp module provide the wifi and minimal functionality where wifi and a web page is desired, but that is just one possibility.

give ANNEX a try, you will be amazed at its capability and the ease of development with a web interface and access to wifi functionality.

dwight
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    As far as developing for commercial I would send cicciocb a message and ask that question to him.
    Can you ask him?
    I'm planing to use ESP for some while, but...

Quote Originally Posted by pedja089 View Post
    That sound great.
    But I have one question.
    It that module is integrated in commercial product, how I can protect code inside?
    This may give you some ideas?

https://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?t=936

As regards the question about protecting your code... you can read Cicciocb's answer over on the forum in General.

----------------

One thing I forgot to mention in my invite above is the HTML capability that can be used to create your webpage on the esp (for your own code, NOT the IDE)
    If you and not so good at writing HTML then you can just create more simple text based web pages also.
    The HTML is really a bonus to make better looking pages.

take a look at this post for an example.
    https://sites.google.com/site/annexw...2FAwEM5duCAwAJ
    Last edited by Heckler; - 6th April 2019 at 14:58.
    Dwight

Here is an example of the IDE.
    And remember that this is hosted on the esp module itself!!
    So you can get to this window from ANY device with a web browser. Cell phone, tablet, ect. etc.

Name:  2019-04-06_075351.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  148.3 KB
    Dwight

Interesting. I’ve had one of those modules sitting in a drawer for a couple of years.

I assume the USB connection to initially get code onto the device is USB to serial?
    because a lot of these modules sold as so called “shields” don’t have USB ports.

ditto .
    mine are all 512k versions unsupported by annex basic. thought i would have a try soldering a w25q32bv in place of the org flash chip.
    not an easy job the pcb footprints are for a smaller package. i needed to bend the pins in and under to get it to fit, bloody hard to solder too like that.
    well the flash worked ,annex loaded up . but no wifi . flashed the old basic back on still no wifi . looks like i cooked a bit of the rf stuff.
    not a recommended procedure for the faint of heart.
    have ordered some 4meg ones from banggood . a html i/f that actually works reliably for pic projects is very attractive idea
    This is more entertaining than Free to Air TV

@Art
    Yes the initial connection is USB.

But the USB is also very helpful in developing and trouble shooting as there is quite a bit of feedback on the USB if you open a terminal window (putty or what ever).
    I always try and have an USB connection up and running in a terminal window. When they boot up the IP address is listed and if your code includes any PRINT statements then that is directed to the serial(usb) port.

@Richard

I have changed out several 512K chips to 4 meg chips and they work very well (I think 1 meg is minimum)

I have had very good luck with the LOLIN D1 MINI PRO esp8266 modules, bangood or ebay.
    They even have an onboard 3.3v battery charger as well as USB connection.

For very basic projects the esp8266-01 is still a very good choice if it has 1 meg or more memory.

cheers
    dwight
    Last edited by Heckler; - 8th April 2019 at 15:53.
    Dwight

I was able to flash a esp8266 "D1" looks like a arduino with 4mb memory. I left password and ip address blank. The pc I am using has no wifi, so on my cell phone I connected to "ESPDE:4F:22:19:6A:84". Then opened google and entered this IP address 192.168.4.1, amazingly the IDE appeared. Hello world next.

This sounds like a serial connection over USB, for which, USB wouldn’t be required if you have a serial port.
    I’m asking because I don’t know anything about the module I have, but it has no USB port. I do have an old laptop with real serial ports though (both TTL & RS232).

Art,

You are correct, it is actually a serial connection unless the module has an onboard usb/serial converter (FTDI chip or clone, etc).
    The esp, as far as I know, does not have native usb.

What module do you have?? is it an esp8266-01 version.
    the -01 is kind of the original small version

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  11.3 KB

If so it is relatively trivial to use flash it with a 3.3 volt serial cable .
    Be careful as I don't believe the esp's are 5 volt tolerant. (do some research to confirm that if you only have 5v)

also for the -01 version there are several little adapter boards available.
    search fleabay for "esp-01 adapter"
    additionally you will want to build or buy an esp-01 "footprint" adapter board to allow the pins to straddle a typical breadboard as the footprint of the -01 module does not work on a breadboard.

Note as I mentioned earlier that there is a lot of feedback from any of the modules running Annex via the serial connection.

So even after you get Annex loaded keep the serial connection open in a terminal window 115200 baud and you will see good feedback as various things happen.

Note the method for flashing or re-flashing an OS onto an esp module is fairly universal whether it be for Annex, NodeMCU or even the Arduino OS.

let me know if I can help any more or post over in the Annex forum.

regards
    dwight
    Last edited by Heckler; - 10th April 2019 at 03:16.
    Dwight

This:

Name:  IOT.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  89.7 KB

Is this the right size PROM that Richard was talking about?
    I could give this a shot as early as tomorrow.

Looks to be 1024k, at least bigger than Richard’s original one.
    Last edited by Art; - 10th April 2019 at 04:47.

mine was 25q40 , yours should be ok

Is Art real? I’ve never had a name conflict before.
    Ban the mongrel.

EDIT,,, thx richard.

Maybe I joined the wrong forum since this is “Not the same as ESP8266 BASIC”.
    Last edited by Art; - 10th April 2019 at 05:13.

i'm hoping this annex basic actually works , if you needed any reliability esp8266 basic seemed to me to be a cruel hoax.
    i might have to figure how to get these things working in the arduino ide and pgm them in c if this basic turns out to be a dud.
    i just sick of learning how to work within the foibles of so many different ide's , i think mplabx has used up all my spare working memory
    and every thing else is left with only vapours

It was my plan to use them natively one day, but if something gets it going easy, then all good.
    They are a fast processor. I assume this is an interpreter, but it was my plan to have another chip do the main bits, and this just do the IoT thing.

I would say this ANNEX is "the real thing" in terms of functionality and stability. Cicciocb seems to be a first rate programmer.

It is relatively fast and the IDE is amazing.

IF you are writing code and need to look up a command you can just place your cursor on the word and hit F2 (I think) and it will open up a second reference window. (This is only if you and your module you are programming have access to the internet.)

Be sure to NOT confuse this new Annex with the old espBASIC.
    You will want to follow the link I posted above to the new Home Page and find the forum link on the left.

I would always shoot for a 4 Meg BYTE of flash (although it will work with 1 Meg Byte (8 Meg BIT))
    By default when you flash the OS it will also load a bunch of demo code in the file system (which is very good to get a feel for what is possible)
    But for a 1 Meg BYTE module I would take care to only load the base OS with NO demo programs.

All in all it is an amazing accomplishment in light of the fact that all the code development takes place on board the module.

If you have a 4 meg module then I would highly suggest you load the full OS with all the demos.
    Open up the IDE then open up a SECOND window by right clicking on the "OUTPUT" button at the top of the IDE. This output button is the user webpage that your code will interact with the user with.
    Then just start down through the demo code and load each one and hit RUN.
    Watch the OUTPUT window for the result.
    This will work even without any other connections to your module.
    Some of the demos will not do much, but MOST of them will show you the power of ANNEX and HTML in the output page.
    Its a very good exercise to see what is possible.

check out this demo with the module connected to a BN055 sensor.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_P0...GDuDOvBmY/view
    This is one of the demos loaded with the OS, which is why in one of the folders there is an image file of a military aircraft.

I would suggest you get your self a number of Winbond W25Q32BVSIG 32M-bit (4 Meg BYTE) memory chips to keep on hand.
    They will work with pretty much any esp module. (including the early 512K esp-01 modules)
    They are pretty easy to swapp out if yoiu are handy with a soldering iron and work a treat.
    Just add a bunch of solder to both sides of the chip you are trying to un-solder then quickly move your iron back and forth between sides of the chip and with a toothpick or something flick the old chip out of the way. Then clean up the pads with some solder wick and you are ready to solder on the new 4 Meg Byte chip.

regards
    dwight
    Last edited by Heckler; - 10th April 2019 at 17:02.
    Dwight

Ok, I had the wrong forum/group from just googling ANNEX ESP8266 BASIC.

All,

One of my favorite things you can do in the IDE is to make use of the "IMMEDIATE" window at the bottom.
    You can simply enter commands directly and they will be executed by the module whether it is running code or just stopped.

You can manually define pin's direction and function.
    You can change state of a pin.

Also make use of the WLOG statement in your code as it directs output to the "LOG" window in the IDE.
    You can use it to test your code for location as it travels through by simply inserting a WLOG VARNAME
    and at that point the code will print the value of the var in the log window.

Make is easy to see output without connecting a display or creating a webpage.

example:

for I = 1 to 10
    wlog I
    next I
    end

Also note the trick used to toggle the state of a pin. pin(name) = 1-pin(name)

Also note when referencing a pin you use the GPIO #

Name:  ide.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  63.8 KB
    Dwight

It looks very interesting! I understand your enthusiasm.

Thanks for sharing Dwight.

Ioannis

@ richard,

In your above post you mentioned that "IF HTML ACTUALLY WORKS RELIABLY"...

well there are many examples in the sample code that has numerous HTML components used in various forms. (meters, gauges, color, buttons, images, etc. etc.)
    Check out some of the latest posts on the forum as there are several new projects by users that include HTML.

Again, be sure you go to the forum for "ANNEX RDS" and NOT the old espBASIC.

one of the things that the creator, Cicciocb, is good at is HTML.

https://sites.google.com/site/annexwifi/forum

I'm not a big fan of the google forum but is what he is currently using. In the upper right hand of the forum window if you click on "Show All Topics" it is easier to see all the new posts as they are highlighted in bold.

cheers
    dwight
    Dwight

Hi Dwight, I can't seem to locate any references to the Basic Interpreter syntax, functions or libraries. Is there a crude manual? I see that learning html will be needed. It has been painless so far easy to toggle port pins. Excited to see esp32 support is coming and want to be familar with Annex basic

Thanks

help docs here
    https://u6mrjto5nnexwp8xwhzckg-on.dr...2Cconst2%5D%20...

I Have just set it up with a nodemcu 12e v3 , not having much success trying to get spi to work .
    the ide tolerance to mistakes is abysmal . very frustrating
    first pitfall was the DATA statement , it won't accept hex format data &hxx . and the module crashes.
    looks like i'm off to arduino ide land
    Last edited by richard; - 16th April 2019 at 02:44.

got spi working , pinout info is misleading. pin numbering is weird too ,d9 and d10 cannot be used without bad results
    also tried arduino ide , got spi and wifi running first go!!! ,found pinout data there too

anyway now have wifi access to rfm69 net , yeah.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you Richard for the reference link,

@richard

See Cicciocb's response to saving hex via the DATA statement.

Annex supports the HEX format using the "standard" &h prefix.
    In the online help, in the chapter Variables you can find the reference to the HEX format &h

For your information, when the online help is shown, you can always use the F3 key to make a free text search in the document (this is a standard feature of the browser).
    Using F3 and typing HEX, you'll find easily that reference.

The DATA statement obviously accept the numbers in hex format :

example:

CODE: hex_read.bas

data &h10, &h20, &h7f
    read a,b,c
    print a,b,c

the ide tolerance to mistakes is abysmal
    Not sure why you say that or what you had trouble with, but from my experience that is a mischaracterization and has not at all been the experience of other users.
    I have found the IDE to be a simple and very easy to understand and use. It is amazing that it is all hosted on the esp module.
    I have written several programs without any problems.

If you have further questions I suggest you post over on the forum there.
    If the Arduino works for you then all the better.

But for those who are comfortable with BASIC than I believe ANNEX is a real winner.

regards
    dwight
    Dwight

Thank you Richard for the reference link,
    Not sure where that link is going but it is NOT the official link to the Annex documentation.
    go here...

https://sites.google.com/site/annexwifi/home

This is the main Home Page of ANNEX.
    There you will find all the links (left hand column) to the Forum, Help Docs, Example code, Downloads, etc. etc.

cheers,
    dwight
    Dwight

SPI from the help docs...

Name:  spi.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  105.5 KB
    Dwight

With the help doc. I got the ILI9341 tft wired and running in about 15 minutes. I'm sold on Annex, much better than the arduino ide route.
    Last edited by mark_s; - 16th April 2019 at 18:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Not sure where that link is going but it is NOT the official link to the Annex documentation.
    go here...

https://sites.google.com/site/annexwifi/home

This is the main Home Page of ANNEX.
    There you will find all the links (left hand column) to the Forum, Help Docs, Example code, Downloads, etc. etc.

cheers,
    dwight
    did you try it . it goes directly to the "official help" not the home page

i initially missed the help on the home page , its hidden amongst all the blurb hence my troubles with pinouts. perfectly obvious
    what pin is what now i know to look for.
    not sure why my hex data was crashing the module , probably my incorrect pin choices were stuffing things up
    i tried again and its ok now .

mucked around all day comparing arduino espserver and annex . annex is way easier to use for graphs dials gauges
    not to mention buttons etc . it seems once i got over using the wrong pins most issues with annex disappeared
    i'm converted its a winner. my simple rfm69 test app works perfectly and is very robust , far better than espbasic
    ever was. ser monitor shows the 32 byte data pks as they arrive.
    have not figured how to make a scrollable textbox yet or how to position screen objects where i want them yet,
    still learning
    Last edited by richard; - 17th April 2019 at 12:22.

Wow! Impressive I say!

Ioannis

three screens . i'm impressed . the big number right of the buttons is free ram , how far can i go ?

Nice Richard!

Glad to see you got things working.
    Are all those screens hosted on the same esp module?

Be sure to try out the IMMEDIATE box in the IDE.
    There you can enter directly commands or statements, etc. to the esp module and see immediately the result.

ie. you can make high/low any of the outputs
    you can define an I/O as input or output
    you can WLOG any of your variables
    etc. etc.
    Really any of the commands that can be put into code you can enter into the immediat box even while other code is running.
    (within reason, I may be overstating something here)

I'd like to encourage you to share your code and experiences over on the other forum also.

cheers
    dwight

(ps. Yes I did follow your link to the docs, I was just concerned that whenever cicciocb releases a new version that your link may still refer to an older version. I did make suggestion that the HELP Docs Link be moved up in the list to the top)
    Dwight

if interested you can try it , for a while
    http://richardsshed.duckdns.org:8080

Funny... It worked once just fine and on a refresh just a blank page. Either Firefox or Opera same result.

Ioannis

P.S. Once I used dyndns service then went to no-ip. About the same, but no-ip is easier to renew once a month, if not used for that period.
    Last edited by Ioannis; - 19th April 2019 at 07:53.