Can PBP read optical encoder damn fast? :)

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Default Can PBP read optical encoder damn fast? :)

Hello.

Say we have optical encoder from inkjet printer. It has 60 pulses per 1cm of movement. So say it is moving with 20cm per second speed, this is 60x20=1200 readings per second. So can be software written in PBP, which will reliably count number of pulses and direction too? Output will be fed into AD9833, chip won't be doing anything else in realtime. So is this task doable with PBP, and which MCU I should consider?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Can PBP read optical encoder damn fast? :)

Well a very fast chip at 64MHz may help.

But using another approach I guess it is possible with slower PIC also. You may use the CCP module to capture the rising and falling edge of the pulses in regard with the Timer so the PIC will capture the timer readings. Either just waiting or doing other stuff while the ISR will just transfer the timer value to your variable.

With 1200 readings you will have to count double that. Rising and falling edge so is 2400 reading and I guess double that also, for the quadrature readings. Finally your pulse to pulse time may be about 200usec. Not too demanding but fast.

Ioannis

Yeah, 1200 counts per second really isn't THAT much. How to go about it depends - as always - on what else the PIC is supposed to do while keeping count (ie should it output to the AD9833 and if so, how, while counting pulses or how it's supposed to work) and on what peripherals and interrups sources are available.

If counting is one state and outputting is another then a tight loop polling the inputs will most likely do just fine for 1200 transistions per second.

It's important to determine if the 60 counts are with 4x decoding or not and if that is needed or not. Not doing 4x decoding is a lot easier than doing it.

The 18F2431 family contains a QEI module that will happily keep track of an encoder producing counts up in the MHz

Well the task is as follows. On power up, ribbon is stopped, AD9833 is set to output certain frequency. Depending on ribbon movement direction afterwards, frequency is increased or decreased. Movement can be fast or slow or even non-linear speed.

You may have a timer in counter mode in background; so you can do things in foreground while it counts in background.
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

I tried to start it at all, even at slow speeds, and looked forum for rotary encoder debug code. Most examples have things like this in it:
    OLDR = PORTB & $30 and similar, current hardware config limiting code.
    Is there a way to have "universal" rotary encoder code, which will work, if say one pin is going to PORTD.4 and another to PORTA.2 ? I'm not sure how all this XORing and ANDs can be performed across the various ports.

Do you have hardware already on which this has to run? If that's the case then please tell us what that is which PIC and which pins are available.

Having the encoder pins spread across two different port register will slow it down and is not ideal, two adjacent pins on the same port is prefferable. If those pins have IOC capabilities that's one way to skin it.

You say the encoder have 60 pulses, is that 60 pulses per channel (240 edges per cm) or 15 pulses per channel (60 edges)? If it's the former and you're fine with 60 Counts per cm that makes it easier since it's just a mater of sampling channel B on the Rising edge of channel A. No qudrature decoding needed.

I take it you've already figured out how to talk to the AD9833 or is that going to be the follow up question?

I have not went with AD9833 yet, because if I can't run encoder, then there is no need for DDS. And by the way, some DDS code I see around the forum, so I think I can re-use it. For the encoder, this is simple encoder from inkjet printer, HEDS-9730. The ribbon has plain strips, 60 per centimeter (I've counted it under microscope). Before going with this encoder, I want to have some code running with simple, rotary, 3 pin, incremental encoder. My prototyping system has PIC16F886 on it now, and while now I can connect both pins to same port - say PORTA.1 and PORTA.2, if doing own code, I'd like to have a code, which will not be limited by same port.

If on different port, then you will spend time on transferring the data to a temp variable and do the XOR/AND on that temp byte.

Ioannis

While I know how XOR AND and other logical operations work, I can't get idea, how they are used over time based domain, as in case of encoder. I mean, where is that component, which defines the frequency of readout and pulse width and so on.

I came up with this code idea (have not tested it yet)

Code:
    STATE: 'WAIT FOR ENCODER TO BE MOVED (STATE CHANGE)
    X=PORTB.1
    Y=PORTB.2
    PAUSE 10
    X1=PORTB.1
    Y1=PORTB.2
    IF X<>X1 OR Y<>Y1 THEN GOTO NEXTSTEP 
    GOTO STATE

NEXTSTEP:

SOMELOOP: 'COUNTER LOOP FOR PULSE LENGTH COUNTING
    IF PORTB.1=1 THEN XIN=XIN+1 'X INCREMENT
    IF PORTB.2=1 THEN YIN=YIN+1 'Y INCREMENT
    IF PORTB.1=0 OR PORTB.2=0 THEN GOTO ANALYZE 'EXIT AND COMPARE LENGTHS