I don't have a clue on some advanced things that may be available and have always wondered about simulating simple picbasic projects without going through the processes of actually using the chip. I know I've heard "simulator" for years as part of mplab? but never spent a single minute looking into any of it. Now, I did a search this morning and ran across Virtual breadboard, which has peaked my interest. I glanced at it and it actually looks like a real breadboard (like fritzing) which is pretty neat.

I'm an advanced hobbyist but in and out of projects (sometimes needing to ask stupid questions on stuff I never retained). I may have a PBP project going on, get distracted and not touch it for months.

So, what is this world of simulation all about? I thought it would be great fun to put something on the PC near my armchair and create some projects without moving a muscle. Please fill me in. Virtual breadboard? (yes, no?) Other similar simulators to look at? I like the idea of actual virtual parts. Don't want to mess with anything that will be a pain with a lot of setup etc or just doesn't work. THANKS.