Me again :) -- latest PBP?

Closed Thread

Default Me again :) -- latest PBP?

I'm just going to go ahead and purchase the latest version of PBP and use the latest MCS with it. (along with pickit3).

Questions please --

-- I'm guessing that PBP won't be updated again in the future? Just an impression, not sure about that. With all that's going on, I guess picbasic has seen more popularity in the past.

-- Will I be able to use the 16F1847?

-- I have an older 2.30 version of MCS that I like better than the newer ones. You can comment out a block of code -- I don't see how you can do that in the newer versions? Can you? If not, can older versions of MCS be downloaded? Would 2.30 be compatible with the latest PBP?

-- Does MPLABX IDE NEED to be installed to use MPLABX IPE? And does it need to be installed for the latest PBP and MCS I plan on installing?

-- Is there a specific procedure when I install the new PBP and MCS? (I remember at one time one had to be installed before the other etc).

-- Hopefully windows 7 sp1 will suffice? Can't update 7 anymore on this PC I want to use.

BTW, found out the hard way (days) on how to use the pickit3 clone I have.

(1) compile (obviously)
    then EVERYtime --
    (2) unplug/plug the USB cable from the pickit3
    (3) open MPLAB IPE and program

repeat

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Me again :) -- latest PBP?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm just going to go ahead and purchase the latest version of PBP and use the latest MCS with it. (along with pickit3).

Questions please --

-- I'm guessing that PBP won't be updated again in the future? Just an impression, not sure about that. With all that's going on, I guess picbasic has seen more popularity in the past.
    As a matter of fact Charles posted a preliminary v3.1.3 just a few days ago so it's not abandoned but I personally wouldn't expect any earth moving updates.

-- Will I be able to use the 16F1847?
    It's on the supported device list (for the full blown version)so yes the compiler supports it - if you'll able to use it or not depends on a whole lot more than that…. ;-)

-- I have an older 2.30 version of MCS that I like better than the newer ones. You can comment out a block of code -- I don't see how you can do that in the newer versions? Can you? If not, can older versions of MCS be downloaded? Would 2.30 be compatible with the latest PBP?
    Don't know for sure but I Think you need the newer version. 99.5% sure you can comment/uncomment chunks of code.

-- Does MPLABX IDE NEED to be installed to use MPLABX IPE? And does it need to be installed for the latest PBP and MCS I plan on installing?
    I'm not sure on this one either but….I would think the IDE doesn't NEED to be installed for IPE to function but IPE comes as a part of MPLAB X install package. It might be possible to run the installer and install only IPE but that doesn't make much sense since you DO need MPASM which gets installed with MPLAB X. IMHO you'd need very specific reasons for not installing MPLAB X even if you're not actually going to use the IDE.

-- Is there a specific procedure when I install the new PBP and MCS? (I remember at one time one had to be installed before the other etc).
    Not sure really but I can't remember having any issues in particular. I'd install PBP first, it will (IIRC) prompt you to install MPLAB/MPASM, then run the tool that "connects" PBP to the assembler and finally install MCS.

-- Hopefully windows 7 sp1 will suffice? Can't update 7 anymore on this PC I want to use.
    Hopefully…

<snip>

/Henrik.

Ok thanks very much. Tried to figure out ordering process at melabs. rather confusing but I'll mess with it later.
    silver? gold? I just want to upgrade my 2.46a and get more chip support at the lowest price.

eureka moment right now with some code I've been working on for days !!

if anyone knows how to comment out blocks in MCS, would like to know. don't see anything obvious about it.

The different versions supports a different amount of devices, you mentioned the 16F1847 which is only supported in the Gold-version so that's what you need.

In MCS, make sure you have the Edit-toolbar enabled, View->Toolbars->Edit. Then simply select the block of code you wish to comment and click the Comment button.

I am sick of MPLAB-X IPE and for many months now I use Pickit2 and Pickit3 with a stand alone program developed by PICkitPlus Development Team at http://www.pickitplus.co.uk.

Cost is low and support is great by Evan.

For the Compiler to work it is necessary to install the mplab-x though. I do not know if/how only the assembler can be installed, so I installed the whole monster-package.

Ioannis