Forum Adverts

Closed Thread

Thread: Forum Adverts

Default Forum Adverts

Advertising on this forum, is provided by Google under the Google Adsense scheme.

Sorry, I really hate them too.

To continue to provide this service - Free of charge to the users. We need to raise revenue , enough to pay for the costs associated with the service provision. The Advertising level that is currently in use, is providing that income.

Though It will not cover Upgrading the system or replacement of system hardware :-)

Having said that, you DO have control over the ads that you see - one of the great benefits of googles system -

Change the ads you see

• At the top right of an ad, select Remove Remove and then Stop seeing this ad.
    • At the top right of an ad, select Remove Remove and then Report this ad.
    • You can also let me know about ads that are offensive or inappropriate and i can block them via my google control panel.

Turn off personalized ads

1. Go to the Ad Settings page.
    2. Choose where you want the change to apply:
      • On all devices where you’re signed in: If you aren't signed in, at the top right, select Sign in. Follow the steps.
      • On your current device or browser: Stay signed out.
    3. Turn off Ad Personalisation.

You can also turn off personalisation for your browser by installing the Interest-Based Ads Opt Out extension.

Once you've turned off personalisation, Google will no longer use your info to personalize your ads. Ads can still be targeted with info like your general location or the content of the website you’re visiting.

Stop getting personalized ads on non-Google websites & apps

1. Go to the Ad Settings page.
    2. Uncheck the box next to "Also use your activity & information from Google services to personalize ads on websites and apps that partner with Google to show ads."

What doesn't change

Blocking a Google ad or turning off ad personalisation will not..

• Stop all ads: If you turn off personalisation, Google ads will use info like your general location or the content of the website you’re visiting.
    • Change other networks' ads: Your Google ad settings don’t change other ad networks.
    • Update your settings on signed-out devices: Learn how to get your ad preferences on all your devices.
    • Keep your signed-out preferences without cookies: If you delete your cookies or use a browser that blocks cookies, your ad settings won’t apply.
      • To clear your cookies without losing your settings, install the Protect My Choices extension.
      • Most mobile devices don't use cookies. On your phone or tablet, check for settings about interest-based ads, ads personalisation, or ad identifiers.

Lester - Forum Administrator
    -----------------------------------
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Forum Adverts

Recently, the profile used to select advertising on this forum has been chnaged.

If you are seeing advertising that you feel is inappropriate, please report it here.

If you post the link that the advert carries I can BAN that link in the adsense interface, so it should never be used by Google on our forums in the future.

Else, post a screen shot and i'll try to locate the advert and ban it.

Remarketing

When I use Google to advertise accross our websites. There's a type of advert that follows the user; this is called remarketing and you'll have seen it all over the place. The goal is to personalise the advertising to the user, so they only get content relevant to them.

If you go looking for a new ToolBox, you're going to see adverts for ToolBoxes the next time you visit a site served with Google advertising.

Whether you're watching TV chefs or music videos, you'll see the same adverts; they're based on your browsing history as recorded by Google.
    As a result, I (we) do not know what advertising you will see on this forum.

If you opt out of Gopogles personalised advertising , the result is that you'll see randomised ads in the categories that we have allowed for this foruma nd our web sites. Its possible that we missed a category that is not alinged with this forum. You therefore need to inform us, so that we can remove that category.
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Although Lester provided the tools to disable the ads, personally I won't as these ads will keep our forum alive.

Hope this solution will pay for many years more. I hate to see this forum hit the off switch...

Ioannis

NO! Don't hit the off switch. If it comes to that, ask for donations and count me in.

the forum is bloody awful to read now , nearly not worth the effort
    1 2 or 3 adds in every post ,its far better if you're not logged in

Name:  adds.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  173.1 KB
    Warning I'm not a teacher

I cannot disagree to that. Maybe the ads can be made smaller in size. On my (Opera) browser they take more than half the screen! Too big but I tolerate them as it is important for the forum to be viable.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 2162
Size:  121.6 KB

You can always block ads and make your pages free of ads.

Ioannis

P.S. Is the forum trying to kick us away with ads like this one???
    Last edited by Ioannis; - 19th April 2020 at 15:51.

I tolerate them as it is important for the forum to be viable.
    i understand but why penalise the logged in user ?
    if you login then logout straight away the adds in posts virtually disappear yet you can still see all the content
    i don't get it . expect minimal logins from now

You can activate ads blocking in your browser. It works fine and you won't be annoyed any more. Either not logging in or blocking them, for the forum it will be the same result.

Ioannis

not with chrome that i can see.
    blocking tracking content seems to work in firefox

I am using Opera which I think is most of it a Chrome. It even uses Chrome plug-ins. Blocking is working on all pages, including this forum, although as I stated earlier I set it to off.

I even enjoy ads free YouTube!!! It is amazing that video does not stop every few seconds now!

I think Chrome does not have this setting because it makes damage to Google Ads setting ads blocking to on...!!!

Ioannis

Do you guys always see technical stuff on the ads, or is it just me? Is it something specific to the forum ad choice or google trace & pick thingie?
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

At the beginning of the ads I was seeing along with irrelevant stuff, hot stuff too!

Now that Lester has done some housekeeping, I am seeing what I usually search for on the internet. Technical things as you asked.

Only they are too big sized...

Ioannis
    Last edited by Ioannis; - 22nd April 2020 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    ... hot stuff too!

Only they are too big sized...

Ioannis

Big size and hot stuff ?
    Like 250W soldering iron? or what?
    I am confused here.
    Last edited by sayzer; - 22nd April 2020 at 19:25.
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

Hmmm. Someone here is spreading fake news!

Ioannis

I understand the need for ads on the site and I appreciate what the site owner is supplying us with here but the advertising situation has gone too far now. I get ads top of screen, bottom of screen, right across the screen when I click a topic and now I even get floating ads right across the text within a topic, there was actually TWO of those ads but I closed one before taking the screenshot.

Name:  Forum ads.PNG
Views: 1077
Size:  159.2 KB

I use "Adblock Plus" and don't get any pop ups. Doesn't seem to affect browsing speed and is free.

https://adblockplus.org/

i find the ads appalling and intrusive

in 36hrs the number of Google generated adverts will drop.

in 30 days I will see the revenue generated by Google generated adverts drop.

I welcome your comments and suggestions on how this service should be paid for if not by Google generated adverts.

I will add that a correctly configured browser and use of the google opt out options would enable browsing of this forum without adverts.

Advertising on this forum, is provided by Google under the Google Adsense scheme.

Sorry, I really hate them too.

To continue to provide this service - Free of charge to the users. We need to raise revenue , enough to pay for the costs associated with the service provision. The Advertising level that is currently in use, is providing that income.

Though It will not cover Upgrading the system or replacement of system hardware :-)

Having said that, you DO have control over the ads that you see - one of the great benefits of googles system -

Change the ads you see

At the top right of an ad, select Remove Remove and then Stop seeing this ad.
    At the top right of an ad, select Remove Remove and then Report this ad.
    You can also let me know about ads that are offensive or inappropriate and i can block them via my google control panel.

Turn off personalized ads

Go to the Ad Settings page.
    Choose where you want the change to apply:
    On all devices where you’re signed in: If you aren't signed in, at the top right, select Sign in. Follow the steps.
    On your current device or browser: Stay signed out.
    Turn off Ad Personalisation.

You can also turn off personalisation for your browser by installing the Interest-Based Ads Opt Out extension.

Once you've turned off personalisation, Google will no longer use your info to personalize your ads. Ads can still be targeted with info like your general location or the content of the website you’re visiting.

Stop getting personalized ads on non-Google websites & apps

Go to the Ad Settings page.
    Uncheck the box next to "Also use your activity & information from Google services to personalize ads on websites and apps that partner with Google to show ads."

What doesn't change

Blocking a Google ad or turning off ad personalisation will not..

Stop all ads: If you turn off personalisation, Google ads will use info like your general location or the content of the website you’re visiting.
    Change other networks' ads: Your Google ad settings don’t change other ad networks.
    Update your settings on signed-out devices: Learn how to get your ad preferences on all your devices.
    Keep your signed-out preferences without cookies: If you delete your cookies or use a browser that blocks cookies, your ad settings won’t apply.
    To clear your cookies without losing your settings, install the Protect My Choices extension.
    Most mobile devices don't use cookies. On your phone or tablet, check for settings about interest-based ads, ads personalisation, or ad identifiers.
    www.crownhill.co.uk

How to block pop ups and block ads in Opera

There are a couple ways to turn on pop-up blocker and Ad blocker in Opera.

Click the shield icon at the right end of Opera’s address bar and switch on Block ads.
    Go to Settings (Alt+P) and turn on Block ads and surf the web up to three times faster.
    You can also enable ad blocker from the Easy Setup menu on the right side of the address bar.

How to block trackers in Opera

Like the Ad blocker, there are a few ways to switch on the Tracker blocker in Opera.

Click on the shield icon to the right of Opera’s address bar and toggle Block Trackers.
    In Settings (Alt+P), turn on Block trackers.
    Toggle on Block trackers in the Easy Setup menu next to the address bar.

How to allow pop-ups and make exceptions

Some websites require you to turn off or disable pop-up blockers in order to access their site. Rather than turn off the Ad blocker feature completely, you can simply allow pop-ups and redirects for that specific site. Opera allows you to make exceptions for individual websites as needed in the adblock content settings. To turn off ad blocker and allow pop-ups for individual sites:

When you're on the page you want to allow, click on the shield icon to the right of your address bar.
    Select Turn off for this site.

You can also manually add web sites to the site exceptions list so that the ads and pop-ups blocked by Opera are allowed. To manage or edit your site settings for ads or trackers:

Select Settings (Alt+P) > Basic > Privacy protection.
    With Ad blocker or Tracker blocker enabled, click on Manage exceptions.
    To change the site settings click Add and enter the address to the list.

When you disable Ad blocker you will again see pop-ups and redirects on the site you allowed. If you unblock ads for a web site, and quickly regret it, you can always go back to the site exceptions list and remove it.
    www.crownhill.co.uk

why do the ads have to interfere with reading threads by intruding into them
    or blocking vision of them?
    why do ads popup and force you click over them to proceed ?

ads yes ok , but i don't want to fight them all the time for control

there was a time when they were less troubling when logged in has that gone by the wayside ?

those google/chrome ad mitigation schemes seem to need constant maintenance to remain effective
    its gets tedious

The ad placement is automated

its pay per click, the more the ads are followed for a preset time / depth, the more often we get a payment. Currently the advertising makes a significant contribution to the cost of the services used to provide the forum.

fewer ads = fewer click through rate = lower revenue.

Ad placement is determined by the success rate of validated click through. If you simply dismiss the ad and say don't show it again, you will see fewer ads and more correctly targeted ads.

Google do not pay unless the click through is genuine, i.e the person actually browses the advertisers site and spends time on the sites pages. Google places the adverts in locations that attract the most valid click through rates.

The system works, its low cost to implement, easy to maintain and it generates revenue for us and valid visitors for the advertisers. For those that manage the adverts correctly, it also provides relevant adverts to the viewer.

I can manually manage the advert placement to reduce the advertising intrusiveness. However past experience shows me that it takes quite a lot of my time and the revenue generated is LESS.

In the long distant past, revenue from compiler sales covered the cost of this forum. Sadly that is no longer the case.

We are happy to continue to provide this service, whilst revenue covers most of the costs. No advertising = no revenue......give me a viable alternative.

You do have an option, vacate this forum and use the melabs forum.
    www.crownhill.co.uk

You do have an option, vacate this forum and use the melabs forum.
    That comment reads rather rudely. What i mean to say is that there is another forum, NOT go forth......
    www.crownhill.co.uk

fewer ads = fewer click through rate = lower revenue.
    i guess that its fair enough that he who pays the piper call the tune.

but advertisement executives in their race to the bottom seem to fail to realize that the odious nature of their methods
    detract from the value of the very content that draws our attention. as their insidious interference escalates the balance
    is more and more tilted till the consumers determine the content is no longer worth the bother.
    their actions have destroyed free to air tv where even the so called news is more like thinly veiled product placement in amongst the ads.
    youtube is nearly unwatchable, what will they ruin next.

not sure how all this plays out , if i see an ad on netflix i will just read a book
    ps if amazon hack into kindle with an ad while i'm reading Grrr.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

he who pays the piper call the tune
    No not really. I do ask for feedback from the community and I do try to implement the requests, where possible and within my ability /budget.

I have reconfigured advertising, as of this morning, so in 36 hrs there should be a noticeable difference.

I would like feedback on the effect of the changes. I will be watching the revenue.

Other suggestions are welcome.
    www.crownhill.co.uk

I wonder, is anybody still bothered by adverts?
    www.crownhill.co.uk

I'm not seeing any

I'm not seeing any today either.

It is customary to provide space in the right sidebar for ad placement. It is also common to have an ad placed every 5 posts or so. They get visibility, but without pop-ups. I think the consensus is the pop-up ads are annoying.

I was not attacked as other users by ads, I do not know why since have not blocked ads for this forum, but in generall for me it is now much better.

Hope income will still be enough to cover the working cost of the forum.

Ioannis

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hi,

well with no adverts - unsurprisingly - the daily revenue has dropped to zero.

It is interesting to me that most people really dislike the adverts, however some, still use them. By that I mean they click on them AND follow through to browse the resulting website. Google is very aggressive in its tracking of users. We do not get paid unless the click through meets very specific criteria that can be shown to advertisers, to be genuine interest.

I will look at re introducing advertising between posts not inserted within posts. Top of page / bottom of page. I used to manually code the placement of google advertising, revenue was not really worth the effort. However when i tried the automated placement, revenue increased dramatically. Hence why I left the advert placement to Google.

Personally, I set my browser to avoid adverts and pop ups. I use the google options to deny advertising and I browse without interruptions.
    www.crownhill.co.uk

As I re introduce , some limited advertising via google. I would appreciate feedback as to the level of intrusion , to try and set an acceptable level that works for users as well as revenue generation.
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Users should only see:
    Anchor ads
    Ads that stick to the edge of the user's screen and are easily dismissible - do not forget to give google feedback on the advert, this will help tailor your experience.
    Wide screen
    Ads that appear on screens wider than 1000px, like desktop not mobiles

Vignette ads
    Full screen ads that appear between page loads
    Wide screen
    Ads that appear on screens wider than 1000px, like desktop not mobiles
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Up to this moment I see ads on the bottom of the page and between posting a reply as a full screen ad.

Browser is Opera with no Ad blocking.

Ioannis

Thank you Ioannis,

are the ads relevant to your recent browsing and or this forum subject matter?

are the ads too intrusive?
    www.crownhill.co.uk

So far the only ad I've seen was one that popped up and blocked my access to the site without clicking. This just happened as I was trying to click on a thumbs up on this very page. I have seen no other ads.

So far I get a non intrusive ad at bottom of screen and a full screen one (vignette?) that I have to close or click outside of to get past when clicking on a topic (though not every time). They show things I have searched for in the past and things I've never searched for in my entire life.

I have not seen any on the sides and thankfully not interspersed within a post or floating on top of one.

It's much much better now than it was a couple of days ago, I could live with turning it up another notch if needed but when it starts to appear within the text of actual posts/articles and/or floating across them it's just too much (for me).

Again, I understand the need for them although I can hardly see any of "us" actually CLICKING on one so I don't understand WHERE the revenue actually comes from. I can honestly say that I have NEVER, not a single time, clicked on an ad on this site. Apparently someone is.

/Henrik.

thank you for the feedback. I will leave things as they are and see how the revenue is affected.
    Currently we are over 80% down on this time last year, but 26% up on this day last week. - These figure mean nothing, I really need to let it run for around 3 months to see the true effect.

I totally understand your position on never clicking an advert. I myself never follow them either. I can tell you that in the last 7 days there were 11 adverts followed through that qualified for revenue earnings. Honestly it all adds up and it varies a lot month on month, but it does help with running costs.

Regarding the type of adverts, they are decided by google the algo', based upon your identifiable browsing history and and other stuff that google decides to use as a hook to interest you.

I think its really dangerous to click on any advert that is outside of your normal interests and browsing, because google then decides that you are interested in that subject and you are then subject to more advertising on that matter. You then have to click the x and select the options not to see that advertising.....what a pain.

For example, I had been searching for high vacuum pumps - industrial types for degassing resins. Google was serving appropriate adverts. Then some random adverts that included a steam generator ......... which i clicked on - STUPID - of course for the next week or so, i was bombarded with all types of adverts for steam and gas and other such industrial pumps, filters , brewery tanks etc etc.

1 click, a month of garbage
    www.crownhill.co.uk

This reply was preceded by a full screen Java ad that is irrelevant to my usual searching. Anyway, in general yes, they are related to some degree of technical nature.

I do click on those related to help this forum and leave the ads on new tabs open for a while. Hope that time is enough for google to account as a legitimate click.

The usual ad is at athe bottom of the page with an arrow to push it back down.

Ioannis

Name:  ad1.png
Views: 870
Size:  394.6 KB

Feedback to Google via the advert
    www.crownhill.co.uk

I did not experience such an ad up to this moment. Only between posting and down on the page.

This one is sure a bit annoying anyway.

Ioannis