After update serial programmer won't open

Closed Thread

Default After update serial programmer won't open

Recent upgrade to MeProg 4.64 and after a compile /program the programming window doesn't come up? I checked the MCSX compile and program window and it is showing the programmer. Tried various removes and installs and no change? I can manually bring up the program window and call for a program with which it seems to be programming but does not. Usually reinstalling PBP3 clears up any path problems? Any help appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: After update serial programmer won't open

Try this; in Micro Code Studio (the PBP3 IDE) go to View/Compile and Program Options and check what programmer is selected. It should be "microEngineering Labs Programmer". If that's good, open meProg, click on Options, click on More Options and see if Fast Program is selected. If so, unselect it.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the fast program was in deselected. All I know at this time is that all of the older chips that I use are programming well. The issue is the 16F19176 which will not invoke the programmer. I want to move to the 16F19176 because of the RTCC and the Vbat backup onboard. This would simplify things. Anyway, I always dreaded updates. Actually, things were much worse than this 2 days ago.

Try it the hard way. Compile your program using F9 (Compile, but don't program). This will create a .hex file in your project folder. Next open meProg. Select your PIC16F19176, then File/Open and select the .hex file you created. Finally click Program (or Control & P). If that doesn't work, you might want to try a PICkit3 or something to isolate the issue.

Unless you're dealing with quantity production I wonder if an internal RTC is worth the bother, you still have to add a crystal and a battery. You can buy Dallas 3231 module for peanuts on eBay.
    George

I finally have the 16F19176 and the 18f47K42 invoking the programmer. I believe that issue was that I established my own file folder with all my programs in it and after the upgrade this path was defaulted to the PBP3.1 example programs folder. Even though the programmer comes up it still does not actually program these chips . The program memory is blank and most weird is the program window shows configs. that are not the PBP3.1 defaults. The Config. Oscillator is showing ECH and the PWR UP Default is EXT1X. Since I can't program these configs. they must be left there by Microchip? The 16F19176 PBP3.1 defaults are setup for an internal 32 Mhz which is what I was looking for. Well, my fellow PIC'ers, down the rabbit hole I go for some more fun. Cheers

As for the CONFIGs, try this for the PIC16F19176. It covers the defaults at the top and lists the options below. There is one for the K42 as well. In fact, you have it in your PBP3_1 Folder in your C:// drive.

PIC16F19176.txt

Yes I have attempted to change the configs from the list using the config commands in the program itself. Since the programming part fails this does nothing. I make try to use the PK3 with the 16F19176.

Not that it helps much but the configs you see are presumably the Default/Unprogrammed Value listed in the datasheet.
    George