PBP3.1 Gold + MCSX+ + Microchip's ICD3 programmer?

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Default PBP3.1 Gold + MCSX+ + Microchip's ICD3 programmer?

I am working with PBP3.1 and Microcode Studio Plus and a PIC18F67K40. I like writing my programs in Microcode Studio Plus and PicBasic Pro 3.1 Gold.
    Perhaps I am missing something when I compile because there seems to be no seamless way to go straight into ICSP programming on my Microchip ICD3 programmer. It isn't a selection on the list of programmers and I don't think the instructions for adding a new programmer are clear to me.
    What I have to do is keep Microcode Studio running and Microchip's MPLAB IPE running in a different Window (Windows 10). The MPLAB IPE is connected to the Microchip ICD3 programmer and watches for changes in the compiled hex file. If it spots a change to the hex file, the "minimized" MPLAB IPE icon at the bottom of the screen lights up orange and asks if I want to load the new hex file. Now all of this interconnection in these programming aids is amazing and makes life easier for me and I appreciate it...... BUT... isn't there a way to add the ICD3 to list of programmers for a seamless flow from PBP and MCSX to ICD3 programming? I really don't want to use MPLAB IPE if I don't have to.
    Any input on how to incorporate the ICD3 programmer into the PBP3/MCSX operation?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: PBP3.1 Gold + MCSX+ + Microchip's ICD3 programmer?

You should be able to. It's similar to adding the Pickit3, but instead of using PK3CMD.EXE you'll need to use the file from the MPLABX folder mplab_ipe\icd3cmd.exe

See this thread for adding a custom programmer http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14064.
    I'm sure there are other posts, as well as the MCSX IDE help.

The command-line options for icd3cmd.exe can be found in the MPLABX folder docs\Readme for RealICECMD_ICD3CMD.htm

Give it a try and see how it goes.

If you're using IPE then this thread might be helpful. It also targets the PICKit3 which is likely different from the ICD3 but as eagleman pointed out you should be able to find the corresponding commands and options for the ICD3 and apply those.

My guess is that for newer devices you're going to have go "thru" IPE since that's where they add support for the new devices. But once you have it working from within MCSP+ it's a one click operation. Then again, I've only worked with the PICKit3 so I don't really know about the ICD3.

/Henrik.

In case there's any confusion, the mplabx ipecmd.exe is the generic command-line driver that can handle any of the programmers.

The '傍P' option lets you select which tool:
    傍PPK3 PICkit3
    傍PICD4 MPLAB ICD4
    傍PICD3 MPLAB ICD3
    傍PRICE MPLAB REALICE
    傍PPM3 MPLAB PM3
    傍PPKOB PICkit On Board (PKOB) demo boards

The april update of mplabx is supposedly going to add the Pickit4.

For legacy purposes, some tool-specific command line interfaces are available:
    RealICECMD.exe
    ICD3CMD.exe
    PK3CMD.exe
    PM3CMD.exe

Probably easier to just follow Henrik's example and use ipecmd.exe for all of them.

If I may add, ICD3 is a crap...

It is supposed to be a professional programmer-debugger but ... un-functional for me. Also unable to power the very light (in aspect of current consumption) circuits and external power is always a must.

PicKit3 is great and when possible I use the Stand alone software for this.

Even better a third programmer, (in my case Elnec which is far away...).

Ioannis

IMHO the ICD3 is the best one I've used. Far better than the pickit3, and I prefer it even to the RealICE.
    Mine supplies well over 150mA to the target... way more than the pickit2 or 3.

There must be something wrong with yours. They usually fix them for free...