DS18S20 & Parasite Power

Closed Thread

Default DS18S20 & Parasite Power

I've tried using the parasite power option and can not seem to get it to work at all. Is there something I'm missing from my code? It works fine using three wire but not two.

Code:
    read_temp:
        owout portb.7,1,[$CC, $44]                  ' Send start temperature conversion
        owout portb.7,1,[$CC, $BE]                  ' Send read scratchpad command
        for x = 0 to 8                              ' Process all 9 bytes
        owin portb.7,0,[i]                          ' Read the scratch pad
        dq[x] = i                                   ' Place read byte into the array
        next x                                      ' Do again until all 9 bytes are processed
        temp.Byte0 = dq[0] : temp.byte1 = dq[1]     ' Store bytes 0 and 1 in the temp word variable
        if temp.8 = 1 then                          ' If bit8 of temperature is set then its negative		
         sign = "-"                                 ' Indicate temperature is NEGATIVE
         temp.lowbyte = temp.lowbyte ^ 255	        ' Reverse the bits of the lowbyte of TEMP
         sign = " "                                 ' Indicate temperature is POSITIVE
    	endif
    	half = temp.0 
        temp = ((temp.lowbyte) >> 1) * 10               ' Shift the lowbyte of the result right 1 place
        temp = temp + (half * 5)                        ' Strip off bit 0 (0.5 degree) and add it to DEC

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I figured it out. I wasn't sure if would work with the ONIN/OWOUT commands or not but it appears it works just fine. I'm now running a sensor 25ft away on a Cat5 computer cable. All I was missing was the part where I had to drive the Dallas chip to the rail for a period of 600ms.

Code:
    read_temp:
        owout portb.7,1,[$CC, $44]                  ' Send start temperature conversion
        low portb.6                                 ' Turn on transistor connected to rail
        pause 600                                   ' Allow enough time for Tconv
        high portb.6                                ' Turn off transistor
        owout portb.7,1,[$CC, $BE]                  ' Send read scratchpad command
        for x = 0 to 8                              ' Process all 9 bytes
        owin portb.7,0,[i]                          ' Read the scratch pad
        dq[x] = i                                   ' Place read byte into the array
        next x                                      ' Do again until all 9 bytes are processed
        temp.Byte0 = dq[0] : temp.byte1 = dq[1]     ' Store bytes 0 and 1 in the temp word variable
        if temp.8 = 1 then                          ' If bit8 of temperature is set then its negative		
         sign = "-"                                 ' Indicate temperature is NEGATIVE
         temp.lowbyte = temp.lowbyte ^ 255	        ' Reverse the bits of the lowbyte of TEMP
         sign = " "                                 ' Indicate temperature is POSITIVE
    	endif
    	half = temp.0 
        temp = ((temp.lowbyte) >> 1) * 10               ' Shift the lowbyte of the result right 1 place
        temp = temp + (half * 5)                        ' Strip off bit 0 (0.5 degree) and add it to DEC