Wow! SPAM storm today!

Closed Thread

Default Wow! SPAM storm today!

Holy crap there's a lot of spam today!
    "I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that
    we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street"

-Stephen Hawking

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Wow! SPAM storm today!

today was excessive. There must be some incentive for these people to spam here. 14 spammers counted today

From mid year there have been people registering on the forum, with stupid random letter names, but legitimate email accounts and they p[ass right through the registration system without fail.

We ahve hundreds or dormant accounts just waiting to spam.

I do clear them out regularly but the ones that are left spam whenever they want.

On the protonbasic forum, i've moved to moderator approved accounts, so after registration a mod has to approve or delete an account. Its killed the spammers, but it means that there is a small delay in the registration process.

I could implement that system here is you think that it would be less trouble to delete accounts than delete spam ?
    Lester - Forum Administrator
    -----------------------------------
    www.crownhill.co.uk

I don't see that it adds value for genuine forum users to make life easy for the spammers. many other forums moderate first posts , would it frighten off new users ?
    I don't think so
    Warning I'm not a teacher

When I browse to this page I get the following in big fat letters
    Our requirements are that you must post at least two messages, to allow the moderators to review your registration, before you will be allowed access to the full range of forum areas.
    Considering all the spam lately I'm not sure the above "rule" is actually implemented properly? Or are you saying that all these spammers lately have registered a long time ago and only just now returned to post?

Anyway, it's quite common to have your first post(s) moderated and I think it's an acceptable compromise. Heck, at one point not too long ago, despite having made thousands of posts, I had to have my posts approved for some reason (I don't think I had been naughty) :-) In my mind it shouldn't scare off genuine users interested in the actual topic of the forum.

/Henrik.

most of those I have zapped have posted at least twice on the same day of registration,so, obviously something is not working as expected.

has deleting spam led to inadvertent deletion of other posts ? if so another good reason to limit their activity.
    I ask because a post I was looking at yesterday [ op cesar35 ] about a 6 key pad using 3 pins seems to have vanished . it had a few replies including one from Henrik.
    my somewhat belated reply now has nowhere to go .

Oh, you're right, I can't find it either.
    Too bad as it was one of few posts lately that was actually at least somewhat on topic :-)

/Henrik.

When i get time, i'll look at removing all of the anti spam and other filtering. Then implement a moderated joining process, so that all users wanting to join will go into a queue awaiting a moderators approval.

This means that the moderators will need to look at the moderation list each day to decide if a new registration should be allowed to join the community.

This process has stopped the spammers 99% on the protonbasic forum.

There will be a few users (spammers) that are lurking, so it takes a few weeks before the system becomes "clean", but on the protonbasic forum the drop in spam was noticeable over night.

Is anybody unhappy with this proposed solution?
    Lester - Forum Administrator
    -----------------------------------
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    When i get time, i'll look at removing all of the anti spam and other filtering. Then implement a moderated joining process, so that all users wanting to join will go into a queue awaiting a moderators approval.

This means that the moderators will need to look at the moderation list each day to decide if a new registration should be allowed to join the community.

This process has stopped the spammers 99% on the protonbasic forum.

There will be a few users (spammers) that are lurking, so it takes a few weeks before the system becomes "clean", but on the protonbasic forum the drop in spam was noticeable over night.

Is anybody unhappy with this proposed solution?
    I don't think any legitimate user is going to have a problem with that. Its almost ubiquitous on forums around the net.

I vote yes!
    "I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that
    we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street"

-Stephen Hawking

Oui oui oui
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    has deleting spam led to inadvertent deletion of other posts ? if so another good reason to limit their activity.
    I ask because a post I was looking at yesterday [ op cesar35 ] about a 6 key pad using 3 pins seems to have vanished . it had a few replies including one from Henrik.
    my somewhat belated reply now has nowhere to go .
    Was it this one? http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21766
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

When you "DELETE" spam threads you must "Physically Remove" or it still remains.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

no that's not the one, correct op though.
    it had 6 buttons and was dated early December