Hello, welcome to our forum.

It looks like you have registered but you have not yet posted and messages. Our requirements are that you must post at least two messages, to allow the moderators to review your registration, before you will be allowed access to the full range of forum areas.

Please make a couple of posts, until then you may see a notice that says you are banned from certain forum areas.

Thank you.

Remove Text Formatting

+ Reply to Thread

Default Correctly receiving the nmea characters from A2200-A GPS

I have been working on this project for a little while, trying to receive the characters from my GPS and then display these characters on a 16x2 LCD. I am using an interrupt on my UART RX pin which allows the program to enter the interrupt service routine when a character is detected which is working.
    In the interrupt service routine the NMEA data is then extracted and stored in a 80 character array and then broken down again into smaller arrays to extract the individual data I am wanting to display. However when I do go to display these characters I see nothing.
    The LCD part of the program is working perfectly and I can see on my oscilloscope that characters are being transmitted by the GPS, so the problem might be that I am not storing this information properly and I have set the bit rates correctly?
    The microcontroller that I am using is the PIC32mx795f512h, if anyone might know what my problem might be any help would be hugely appreciated.
    Below is my main and interrupt service routine
    Code:
    int32_t main(void)
    Code:
    {#ifndef PIC32_STARTER_KIT    SYSTEMConfig(SYS_FREQ, SYS_CFG_WAIT_STATES | SYS_CFG_PCACHE);    InitApp();             //initialise ports & interrupts    intLCD();              //initialise LCD    clrLCD();    putsLCD("Initialising \n \t TCAS");    // configure for multi-vectored mode INTConfigureSystem(INT_SYSTEM_CONFIG_MULT_VECTOR);//UART1 enable for own gps UARTConfigure(UART1, UART_ENABLE_PINS_TX_RX_ONLY); UARTSetFifoMode(UART1, UART_INTERRUPT_ON_TX_NOT_FULL | UART_INTERRUPT_ON_RX_NOT_EMPTY); UARTSetLineControl(UART1, UART_DATA_SIZE_8_BITS | UART_PARITY_NONE | UART_STOP_BITS_1); UARTSetDataRate(UART1, GetPeripheralClock(), 4800); UARTEnable(UART1, UART_ENABLE_FLAGS(UART_PERIPHERAL | UART_RX | UART_TX)); // Configure UART1 RX Interrupt INTEnable(INT_SOURCE_UART_RX(UART1), INT_ENABLED); INTSetVectorPriority(INT_VECTOR_UART(UART1), INT_PRIORITY_LEVEL_2); INTSetVectorSubPriority(INT_VECTOR_UART(UART1), INT_SUB_PRIORITY_LEVEL_0); //UART2 enable for surrounding PORTSetPinsDigitalOut(IOPORT_F, BIT_5);                    //data transmitter PORTSetPinsDigitalIn(IOPORT_F, BIT_4);                     //data receiver // enable interrupts INTEnableInterrupts(); //allow uart >300ms to initialise Delayms(5000); gpsINITIALISE();        //initialise GPS to receive data >100ms //main loop int check = 0; while(1)     //wait in here for uart interrupt {        ValidMsg = NotTrue;     //clear valid message variable    if(check == 0)    {                    putsLCD("Resend \n \t message");        sendMessages(); //send for gga message        check = 1;    }          if(ValidMsg = True) //check to see if data is valid in main string          {               putsLCD("Message \n \t Valid");               DisableIntU1RX;   //dissable interrupts on uart 1               createString();   //create character string to transmit to nearby aircraft               EnableIntU2RX;    //enable interrupts on UART2               Delayms(10000);   //wait for data to be received from nearby aircraft               DisableIntU2RX;   //dissable interrupts on uart 2               GPStest();        //display the individual strings          }        if (ValidMsg = NotTrue) //check to see is not valid          {             putsLCD("Message1 \n \t Invalid");             for(s=0; s<80; s++)        //clear received data string                  {                      GGA[s]=0;                   }             sendMessages(); //resend for gga message           }    }}// U1RX interrupt, majority of GPS relies withinvoid __ISR(_UART_1_VECTOR, ipl6) _U1RXInterrupt(void){    int parse=0;    // string counterif(U1STAbits.OERR == 1)    U1STAbits.OERR = 0;if(U1STAbits.URXDA) //check if data is ready to be read    {        c = getcUART1();        while(UARTReceivedDataIsAvailable(UART1)); //check to see if data is available        if(c == '$') //c == $, hex=0x0024        {            count = 0;        }        if(count < 6)        {            dataTest[count] = c;            count++;        }        else if(count > 5 && count < 80)        {            if(dataTest[4]=='G')     //test data string                               {                         GGA[count]=c;                                     ValidMsg = True;    //data is valid                               }            else  //error                                ValidMsg = NotTrue;    //data is valid                count++;                                PORTToggleBits(IOPORT_B, BIT_2);        }    }    //extract data into individual strings            x=0;    for(parse=1;parse<80;parse++)    {        if ((parse >=1) & (parse <6)) //Message Type        {            command[parse-1] = GGA[parse];        }        else if ((parse >6) & (parse < 17)) //Time        {            time[x] = GGA[parse];            x++;            if (parse == 16)                x=0;        }        else if ((parse > 17) & (parse < 27)) //Latitude        {            lat[x] = GGA[parse];            x++;            if (parse == 26)                x=0;        }        else if (parse == 28) //Latitude Dir            latDir = GGA[parse];        else if ((parse > 29) & (parse < 40)) //Longitude        {            lon[x] = GGA[parse];            x++;            if (parse == 39)                x=0;        }        else if (parse == 41) //Longitude Dir            lonDir = GGA[parse];        else if (parse == 43) //Fix Quality            fixQ = GGA[parse];        else if ((parse > 51) & (parse < 55)) //altitude        {            altitude[x] = GGA[parse];            x++;            if(parse == 54)            x=0;        }    }    INTClearFlag(INT_SOURCE_UART_RX(UART1));         // Clear the RX interrupt Flag 
    }

Default Re: Correctly receiving the nmea characters from A2200-A GPS

Is this C?

You are on a PIC Basic forum. You might get help, maybe.

Robert
    Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

Default Re: Correctly receiving the nmea characters from A2200-A GPS

Hi,
    There’s something very wrong with the formatting of your text you posted!
    In that mess it looks like you waste time after seeing serial data, and then hope to catch the start of the next sentence,
    and then want data to be aligned at the indexes you expect, which is not how I’d go about it.

If your GPS has PPS or freq output have you thought to use that to trigger the interrupt?
    It is guaranteed that the data will immediately follow that (can’t remember if it's the rising or falling edge of the pulse).

Either way, I don’t see a need for any delay in the receive routine for a Pic32.
    Try Microchips’ own forum, they expect C!