New cool PIC peripherals

Closed Thread

Default New cool PIC peripherals

I was just browsing Microchips webiste and found the new (samples available) 18F46K40 series of PICs. These contains a new (to me at least) ADC module with tacked on computation module that, at least on papaer, can do some PRETTY neat things.

For example it can be set to automatically aquire a number of samples, calculate the average, compare against a threshold value and generate an interrupt if the value is equal, not equal, smaller, larger etc - all in the background.

Then there's A CRC module (this isn't new but worth mentioning) that can calculate CRC values with any polynomial and seed value, I would've loved to have that one when writing my MODBUS code years ago. Doing CRC in code takes CPU cycles...

Then there are (of course) timers, CCP modules, PWM modules, data modulators, complementary waveform generator, voltage reference, 5-bit DAC and other things, most of which aren't new but rarely discussed here.

Anyway, the ADCC was what drew my attention, I think it's pretty cool. I wonder when PBP will get support for this chip (I don't think ADCIN will run it though...).

/Henrik.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: New cool PIC peripherals

This adc looks very interesting. With programmable low pass filtering and averaging, you would get some really stable readings. The zero crossing module is something I have not seen before. That could come in handy.

Thanks for posting

Mark