Programming error at 0000 (12F675)

Closed Thread

Default Programming error at 0000 (12F675)

Hopefully I'll get this figured out but want to ask also because I need to get this done today.

Haven't messed with PICs in a long time and never had a problem -- using a 12F675 and getiing "programming error at 0000".

My EPIC programmer (I know, an antique) sees the chip fine, device is blank etc).

One post I ran into is this --

These seems to have been discussed on here before, but I can't seem to figure out my problem.

I've got a 12F675 setup and it will program a couple of times and now it doesn't program and won't erase. I'm using MELabs Serial Programmer and trying to set it up so that MCLR is an input and the internal osc is used.

I also am using gpio3 as an input and using intosc (will try to change gpio3 to another pin and see if that works).

Anyway -- anyone have experience with this?

And on my old chips, I always had mclr enabled and held high. Is this still a good practice? Never used the newer chips like the 12F675.

Didn't know gpio3 was also the mclr or wouldn't have used it in the first place but my pcb is already done.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Programming error at 0000 (12F675)

Well -- I've tried everything and still getting this "programming error at 0000" which means I guess it makes no progress at all just can't program period.

?

xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Michael; - 4th September 2016 at 15:52.

Hi,
    What's connected to MCLR (and the other programming pins for that matter) in your circuit?
    Is it possible that it is loading the Vpp voltage applied to MCLR by the programmer so that it doesn't reach the correct level (12V)?
    See section 3.2 in the PICKit2 manual, I know it's not the programmer you're using but the principle would be the same.

Another issue when using MCLR as an input is the order in which the voltages are applied, see if your programmer software has an option for Vpp Before Vdd. The issue, I believe, is that as soon as the chip starts executing code it can not be put into programming mode because it then disables MCLR so Vpp needs to come before Vdd so the chip is never allowed to start exectuing the code. If the chip is in circuit and you're powering normally try powering it from your programmer instead.

As for the configuration, the best option you have is the DEVICE_REFERENCE folder in your PBP installation (if you have PBP3 that is) and of course the datasheet for the device.

/Henrik.

Yes, I sent a message to another member and he said what you're saying -- might be time for a new programmer but I may try to modify my EPIC. If someone has done this sure would like to hear a simple fix to save time -- a zener and a resistor need to be placed somewhere. But don't know if traces need to be cut etc.

Thanks much.

I know the EPIC is fine and no, not programming the 12F675 in circuit -- doing it in the programmer zip socket.

A quick google came up with these results

http://www.microchip.com/forums/m357598.aspx
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1915

Seems that a lot of results point to the Epic programmer as being at fault in either not taking the PIC into programming mode, or not being able to erase the chip. Note that the programming voltage can be as much as 12v or more - whilst you think the epic is fine it might be worth checking that it takes the MCLR pin (check the datasheet to confirm) up to the VPP level at the time of programming.