Been away from PIC a long time

Closed Thread

Default Been away from PIC a long time

Used to mess with PICs a lot but I'm way out of touch now. Guess if I were to say I used 16c71 or 16c65b in my projects, that would say how long it's been.

Anyway, I have an EPIC programmer and the Melabs PBP software from years ago and wondering about a popular low cost part that I can use for something very simple -- a single LED controller, flash etc.

I see on Digi key there are parts that even less than a dollar ! (10F202T ? -- 12F675?)

But what do I need these days to program these parts? Will my EPIC work (with updated software perhaps?) Do these parts have their own internal clock? No need for peripheral parts?

What is a good (and very popular) choice in a part with just a few I/O pins ? The ones I mentioned above ?

THANKS much.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Been away from PIC a long time

Since there are literally hundreds of PICs to choose from there's going to be many that matches your needs, the limiting factor in this case will probably be if the device you're aiming to use is supported by the version of PBP that you've got.

Support for the 10F202 was added in v2.46 and it can certainly blink a LED but as a general purpose, low pincount, type thing the 10F series IS fairly limited (most of its RAM will be used up by PBP system variables so you'll have very little left to play with). You'll be much better of with a 12F series - like the 12F675 (v2.42 or newer) that you suggested or perhaps a more modern one like the 12F1840 (v3.0 or newer).

They all have internal oscillator so no external components are needed.

You can see in which version of PBP support for any particualr device was added here.

As for the programmer I really can't speak for the EPIC as I don't know anything about it but software for it seems to be available here.

/Henrik.

Michael, to add to what Henrik said; the EPIC is a parallel port driven programmer; are you sure you still have a parallel port on your PC?!

Your best bet would be to go in for a Pickit2 or Pickit3, or one of the cheap Pickit2 clones from Ebay. Some clones are also clubbed with a universal ZIF socket, which might be of much use.

Regards.

Like this I guess --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICkit3-PIC-...EAAOSwZd1VbYSr

Then you also buy the Zif socket assembly? And use with PBpro --it's been a while, please refresh my memory -- you compile with PBP and then burn with another program? thanks

Actually, this is more like what I had in mind

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICkit2-PIC-...sAAOSw9r1V-NXE

Or this, if you can do without the ZIF:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICkit2-PIC-...kAAOSwl8NVcRED

Yes, thats right; after you compile with PBP, you use one of these to burn your hex file into the device. Since these are functional clones of the original, you can use the Pickit2 Windows software directly from the Microchip site.

Regards.

Thanks -- will try to get one stateside as I need to get going on a project. AND -- by the way, if anyone possible knows, WILL my old EPIC (yes with a parallel port) do a 12F675 ? I know I have some SMD adapters laying around somewhere -- although looks like it comes in DIP also.

Sure, the Epic can happily handle12F675, I've used tons of those with my Epic.

If you're in a hurry then get on Digikey or Mouser and buy a genuine PICKit3. The ZIF adapters are nice but not really needed, the chip can be programmed in circuit if you aren't TOO careless with what circuitry you put on the programming pins.

If you plan to use MicroCodeStudio then the PICKit3 integrates nicely with it for a one click compile and program operation. The latest programming software for the PICKit3 (Microchip IPE) supports all PICs and I rescently wrote this post on how to get it going from within MicroCodeStudio but you can equally well use it "stand alone".

/Henrik.