Simple as 16F870, but with built-in oscillator and ADC reference?

Closed Thread

Default Simple as 16F870, but with built-in oscillator and ADC reference?

I'm using 16F870 for long time, and it is great chip to be used with PBP. However, it lacks built-in oscillator and ADC reference. Can you suggest me another chip, which is simple to use and configure (as 16F870 is) but has built-in oscillator and ADC reference?

This question might be not exactly for this department, but I don't know another place where I can ask it.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Simple as 16F870, but with built-in oscillator and ADC reference?

Ease of use is relative, the more features it got the more complicated it gets - obviously. With that said, it's usually just a matter of ignoring the features/peripherals you're not using.

PIC16F570
    PIC16F723
    PIC16F753
    PIC16F1503

Are a couple of the devices that comes when using the parametric search on Microchips website. There wil be 12F and 18F series PICs as well that fits the bill, I'm sure.

/Henrik.

Well, by means of "simplicity" firstlu I meant amount of registers neded to be configured, to just "run" MCU

Compare say 16F628A and 18F2550

Most of the time the "extra" registers can just be ignored until you need them. There are exceptions but since you're already using the ADC you're going to have to deal with its setup anyway. More advanced chips will have more CONFIG settings but PBP has a default setting for every chip so they will "just run" out of the box as long as you use the oscillator type that the chip expects based on the default CONFIG.

Don't take for granted that just because it has an internal oscillator that's what PBP is using in the default CONFIG.

Did you look at any of the ones in my previous post?

/Henrik.

Thanks a lot!

First 3 chips are good, but their ADC is only 8 bits.
    Last chip is good, but it has too many functions.
    What I actually need, is 12F1840 in 14 or 16 pin package - it has fast internal oscillator, nice set of features, but nothing I don't need, just 8 pin package is small. IF it has big brother in 16F family, that will be great!

Only you know what you need and what you consider "too many functions". Use the parametric search function and pick the best one for your needs.

Heck, I only use a fraction of the functions on most of the PICs I use in my projects. I've found that a particular family works for me, and tend to use this for similar projects as I already have the code and it makes life easy. Unless I actually need a function such as USB which is only available on a selection of PICs, I stick with what I know. It may be different for commercial projects where cost is a factor, but for hobby stuff I don't think it matters

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOne View Post
    What I actually need, is 12F1840 in 14 or 16 pin package - it has fast internal oscillator, nice set of features, but nothing I don't need, just 8 pin package is small. IF it has big brother in 16F family, that will be great!
    If you expand the options at the foot of the product page for the 12F1840 on Microchip's web site it displays around half a dozen "similar devices" with pin counts of 14 or more, such as a 16F1824