Looking for "transparent" RF transceiver

Closed Thread

Default Looking for "transparent" RF transceiver

Hello,

Like other projects on this forum, I'm looking for RF transceiver modules that are "transparent".

In my project, I will send very small data packets (20-30 bytes) once a day (data logger polling).

As I'm not an RF module engineer, by "transparent" I mean a RF module to which I can connect a µC sending serial data and vice-versa on the receiver's side.

I have found lots of different modules on the net but I'm not so sure which one I should go for and some of the ones I could have chosen are not "allowed" where I live in Switzerland, Europe.

As an example, here is a transceiver from AUREL that could fit (well I suppose it should) my needs: AUREL RTX 868 FSK (650201343G). Unfortunately, it is not available for hobbyists :-(

What looks great with this module is:
    - it has a PCB antenna ("on board");
    - data is transmitted in a "transparent" way;
    - it's interface is serial (most simple to me).

Now I have found this module from LINX TECHNOLOGIES HUM-868-DT, the 868MHz HumDT™ Series Transceiver. But I'm not sure if it does the same as the AUREL one and I also need to add an antenna (not that tragic).

Can anyone tell me if I'm going the right way or what I should pay attention at?
    Roger

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Looking for "transparent" RF transceiver

Probably cost factor (got a budget?) and transmission distance would play a role in providing suggestions?

I'll been using (hobby) the HC-12 modules available everywhere. They are cheap and work well.

For professional projects, i only use LORA devices
    Thanks and Regards;
    Gadelhas

I also use LORA modules for most projects. They utilize a SPI interface to the microprocessor. Not sure this meets your definition of transparent but they work fine.

I have also used wireless modules from this source: https://www.wirelessthings.net/rf-mo...l-transcievers. These modules have a serial interface and are easy to use. You could definitely call them "transparent".

Thanks for the feedback.

I just had an offer from AUREL. They will sell me the transceiver I initially found being (hopefully) the best for my need.

I'll have a try with this one.
    Roger

Default AUREL RTX 868 UART Transceiver - these ones are really very easy to implement and use

I just want to take a few minutes to give a short feedback about the use of the AUREL RTX 868 FSK (650201343G). I receive the ones from LINX too (see post #1) but I had to finish the project asap so I took the ones that arrived first ;-)

Once I had set up my wired proto on the breadboards for 9600bps serial communication, I removed the three wires (RX/TX/GND) "implemented" the modules and...got into trouble.

Name:  K640_20160804_114012.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  105.7 KB

Before I powered-up the proto, I realized the RTX modules need 3.6V max and most of my project are made for 5V (silly habit, maybe).

So I started looking around the internet on how I would be able to shift voltage levels and found, ie,the BSS138 level converter. But I also found in our forum some people asking why 5V projects would not simply be powered in 3.3V; that's true...why not?

Luckily all the components I use can be fed with 3.3V ; so I adjusted the PICkit's voltage and...it worked like a charm.

Connections to the modules are very easy (Pwr, Enable, TX or RX and data) and, what I always like, the PCB's footprint has a pitch of 2,54mm.
    Name:  K640_20160804_122905.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  20.2 KB

I tested the RF link over 180 meters across buildings without any problem.

Last but not least, the module proudly works with...?
    Name:  K640_20160804_123411.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  66.5 KB

Actually, I paid $ 12,50 per module (came from POLAND).

Voilą
    Last edited by flotulopex; - 4th August 2016 at 12:52.
    Roger

Default Re: AUREL RTX 868 UART Transceiver - these ones are really very easy to implement and

Congratulations Roger!

180 meters across buildings, at 868 @10mW is great!

Ioannis

I have used this transceiver with the purpose of the ZigBee pairs, but not worked.