Looking for someone who can program a Pic16C745

Closed Thread

Default Looking for someone who can program a Pic16C745

Hello all,

I have Hex code for a PIC16C745 and I already laid out boards with a Pickit 2 / 3 compatible header. I assembled 4 boards before I realized the pickit 2 / 3 can't program this device.
    Is there anyone that could load the Hex files on four PIC16C745 devices for me? The PICs are SOIC, Either soldered on the boards with programming header or loose PICs, whichever is easier. I know I can purchase the devices programmed direct from Microchip, however I only need a few done and it wouldn't be worth the setup fee.

Thanks,

Jim

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Looking for someone who can program a Pic16C745

What you're doing with it?
    The 16C745 is not recommended for new designs, Microchip suggests the 18F2450 instead. It's pin compatible, 2x the amount of program memory, 3x the amount of RAM, 4x the amount of USB buffer memory for the same price - and your PK3 can program it. I don't know how much (if any) the code needs changing though - probably depends on what you're doing with it. Just looked at the USB module and it IS different so if that's what you're using then I understand it might no be worth mucking around if it's a proven design.

I've got the old PICStart+ somewhere, but I don't know what software will drive this decade :-)

/Henrik.

Hi Jim

If possible take a look at the pic18f2550 it is pin compatible with the PIC16C745. The PIC16C745 is obsolete and can only be programmed one time. Do you have the source code we could help you convert it? If you are in the U.S. and get stuck I can probably help you flash those, but I will be away until July 7.

Mark

Add:
    I have a MElabs U2 programmer which still supports the pic 16c745. It's expensive but well worth the cost if you plan on
    working with pics in the future. It has a great configuration feature.

http://store.melabs.com/prod/u2/U2.html
    Last edited by mark_s; - 21st June 2016 at 23:28.

Hi Henrik,

It is a discontinued design by someone else and made available for download with HEX file and C source code. It does use the USB module so it would probably be difficult to modify. I fabbed a few boards and assembled them before realizing I couldn't flash the Pic.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    What you're doing with it?
    The 16C745 is not recommended for new designs, Microchip suggests the 18F2450 instead. It's pin compatible, 2x the amount of program memory, 3x the amount of RAM, 4x the amount of USB buffer memory for the same price - and your PK3 can program it. I don't know how much (if any) the code needs changing though - probably depends on what you're doing with it. Just looked at the USB module and it IS different so if that's what you're using then I understand it might no be worth mucking around if it's a proven design.

I've got the old PICStart+ somewhere, but I don't know what software will drive this decade :-)

/Henrik.

Mark,

I have the source code in C (MPLAB) and compiled HEX code. I would like to see if you can flash them for me with the HEX code. I can wait until you get back. I made 4 boards. you can keep one if you want. I am in the US (New Hampshire). The USB module is being used so it may be difficult to convert to another chip. The chips are SOIC. Would they be easier to program one the board or as loose chips? I added a Pickit 2 style header to the board.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mark_s View Post
    Hi Jim

If possible take a look at the pic18f2550 it is pin compatible with the PIC16C745. The PIC16C745 is obsolete and can only be programmed one time. Do you have the source code we could help you convert it? If you are in the U.S. and get stuck I can probably help you flash those, but I will be away until July 7.

Mark

Add:
    I have a MElabs U2 programmer which still supports the pic 16c745. It's expensive but well worth the cost if you plan on
    working with pics in the future. It has a great configuration feature.

http://store.melabs.com/prod/u2/U2.html

Jim

It would be easier to program on the board, I don't own any surface mount adapters.
    All I ask from you is return postage or a prepaid label.

Look for a PM from me so I can get your info.

Mark