Sharing my enthusiasm too!

Threaded View

Default Sharing my enthusiasm too!

After seeing the excellent projects by guys on this forum using an ESP8266, I couldn't help sharing my own modest project, as also my opinion(s) for the benefit of those intending to use the ESP8266.

The core project (host) is a pic based water level monitor and pump controlling system. What I thought would be nice to have was a way to check the readings remotely, using any browser. I do not have a static IP, and I found port forwarding on the router to be quite cumbersome, so I decided to post my data on Thingspeak, from where it could be read on any browser.

I went around in circles trying to decide the environment for writing my code for the ESP, and here are my observations (not everybody would agree with this part, I'm sure)

1) Native AT command set: too complex.

2) Lua: Great environment, but I found the learning curve a bit too steep.

3) ESP8266Basic: For anyone who has used PBP, should be very easy to use. But, I somehow could not get a stable installation.

4) Arduino IDE: I was reluctant to try out the Arduino all these years, but for the ESP I believe this is the best option currently available, with loads of support. The best part being most of the existing libraries and sketches written for the Arduino can be directly ported to the ESP.

The Thingspeak channel is at:

https://thingspeak.com/channels/98492

The updates might be suspended for some time, while I tweak the code in the host device.

Lastly, how I wish the good folks at MELABS would work on a basic for this module!

Regards,

Anand
    Last edited by ardhuru; - 21st March 2016 at 08:44.