Can't install PBP v2.46 on Windows 10

Closed Thread

Default Can't install PBP v2.46 on Windows 10

I've bought a new laptop over the holidays and cannot install PBP v2.46 (that's where I have to start using my CDs to install v2.60c).

I've searched the forum and read all the threads on 64-bit problems and nothing helped.

I started by copying the installation EXE into a new PBP folder on C, just like the BAT file does. Then tried WinXP, Vista and Win7 compatibility as Administrator and keep getting this error:

Name:  PBP v246 error.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  116.1 KB

I don't get it, I installed on my 64-bit gamer without problems a few years ago. Any ideas?

Robert

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Can't install PBP v2.46 on Windows 10

Not sure, I suspect your file is named with a double EXE extension? PBP246.EXE.EXE ???

Good idea, but nope. I clicked RENAME and it had only one suffix.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

Can you run a DOSbox and cd into that directory. Check the directory listing to see the exact filename for PBP246. Renaming via the Explorer may not be ideal as the double extension might still be there.

Whatever it be, double clicking the PBP246.exe in explorer should actually launch the application unless WINX has smarted to not allow double extension files to run.

Hi,
    I don't know but newer versions of Windows does all kind of wierd things with virtual folders etc behind the scene.
    I suspect the problem is that you've installed it directly under C: instead of in the Program (x86) folder. I'd try removing it and re-installing where Microsoft thinks is the "right" place.

With that said, on my W7 machine I have it installed in C:\PIC\PBP and it works just fine.

/Henrik.

That's what I don't get Henrik. My old gamer was Win 7 64-bit, I would assume Win 10 64-bit would be the same. I guess not.

Opened X86 DOS window, manually did same commands as the INSTALL.BAT that came along with PBP v2.46 CD and it doesn't decompress as expected.

Name:  PBP v246 error 2.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  214.6 KB

Even set PBP246.EXE to run as ADMIN, tried both Win7 and Win XP sp2.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Recopied all my stuff back from CD into c:\PBP folder, editted INSTALL.BAT with new names, and same sort of error.

Name:  PBP v246 error 3.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  191.8 KB

I really wanted to figure this out but I'm about to give up and just get PBP v3 Gold and be done with it.

The README kept mentionning "files being uncompressed", so I renamed the file to PBP246.ZIP,
    and VOILA! It unzipped all files as expected. Just gotta test to make sure things are all ok, but everything looks fine.

Name:  PBP v246 solution.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  128.9 KB

EDIT: PBP v2.46 patched and updated to v2.60c without problems.
    Last edited by Demon; - 30th January 2016 at 20:51.

So now that I have it working, I bought the $50 upgrade to PBP v3 from MeLabs. :lol:

The part that sucks is that the next time I have to install, I'll have to go through:

- install v2.46,
    - patch,
    - upgrade to v2.60,
    - patch,
    - upgrade to v3.0,
    - and most likely patch again (no idea where v3 is at)

I might figure a BAT file to do it all at once.

Thumbs up for getting PBP3 Robert, you won't regret it.
    As for installing it your aproach doesn't sound quite right.

My PBP3 is a payed upgrade from 2.6 and I've probably bought at least 5 upgrades prior to that over a period of atleast 15 years. My oldest is 2.31 which in turn is an upgrade from the non pro version (PBC).

In my experience there is no and has never been a need to install any prior version.

The only reason for doing it the way you describe is if you want multiple versions installed at the same time.

/Henrik.

So I install using PBP v3 cd and it will ask for v2.6 at some point?

I always thought it was a sequential process

Robert

Wow, you're really trying your best to make it as complicated as possible aren't you? ;-)
    If you don't ALSO want any of the older versions installed just forget about them now and install PBP3, done.

It's called an upgrade only because you've already payed for an older version - what's on the actual DISC is exactly what you'd get if you bought it "new". I know this isn't always the case with other software but with PBP3 it is, in my experience.

Once installed run the licence manager to activate your license. If I'm not mistaken you can have your licence active on two machines at once. If you need to change machine run the licence manager and de-activate the licence on the machine you're getting rid of in order to free it up.

/Henrik.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    Wow, you're really trying your best to make it as complicated as possible aren't you? ;-)
    You know me.

If you don't ALSO want any of the older versions installed just forget about them now and install PBP3, done.
    Ah, awesome! I don't think I'll care for the older version once I've finished migrating at least one working test program over. After that, I'll just copy that CONFIG.

It's called an upgrade only because you've already payed for an older version - what's on the actual DISC is exactly what you'd get if you bought it "new". I know this isn't always the case with other software but with PBP3 it is, in my experience.
    And this is why I was lost. "Upgrade" CDs for me always had partial data or required you entered the old CD as validation during install.

Once installed run the licence manager to activate your license. If I'm not mistaken you can have your licence active on two machines at once. If you need to change machine run the licence manager and de-activate the licence on the machine you're getting rid of in order to free it up.

/Henrik.
    Perfect. I'll probably have it on a desktop later at some point. But for now I just want to be up and running on this new laptop.

Thanks Henrik.

Holy crap! That was the most effortless installation of PBP3, MCS+X and MPLAB X.

And for the next dude that can't be bothered to read instructions 'cause he thinks he knows it all (like me).

Go in your PBP folder and run meLabsReg.exe to validate your CD key, and that's it.

Awesome installation (compared to the hoops I jumped through before LOL ).

Robert

Right, it wasn't very hard was it ;-)

NOW that you have PBP3 installed, check which version it is and see if you need (or want) to update it. The latest released version is 3.0.8. Here's the version history and 3.0.8 can be downloaded from here Again, if what you got on the disc is something like 3.0.5 there's no need to go thru 3.0.6 and 3.0.7 in order to finally get to 3.0.8 Everything that's in the older versions are in the latest version (except for the bugs hopefully).

I just noticed that I was on 3.0.7 myself so I updated to 3.0.8. I was then given the option to install MCSPX (for which I have a license) so I did, hoping it was an updated version, which might fix it randomly crashing ever so often but unforunatley it was still the same old 5.0.0.5 :-(

/Henrik.

I just checked again and I have PBPX 3.0.8.4, and MCSP 5.0.0.5 and it says it's up to date.

Robert