PIC Nixie Clock project

Threaded View

Default PIC Nixie Clock project

Hey Group,

I am designing an adapter board to allow a 20 pin pic (like a 16F690 or 16F1828, etc) to take the place of an MSP430 processor. Why?? You might ask.

Well I bought one of these...Name:  clock.jpg
Views: 3374
Size:  59.1 KB

from here... https://www.tindie.com/products/RobG...xie-clock-kit/ and want to modify the way it works. Unfortunately, for me, it is controlled by an TI MSP430 processor and coded in C.

The clock is (I believe) an outstanding value as far as nixie clocks go. ($50 usd) which includes the NIXIE tubes and optional case.
    I have actually purchased 2 additional clocks, 3 total. One for my son to build. Then my daughter liked it so much that I told her if she would put it together then I would get her one for Christmas.

Though the clock is quite a beautiful piece it is lacking in some features that I wanted.

Self setting time from NTP time source.
    Able to blank the display during certain hours as the clock is in my bedroom and quite bright at night.
    Able to blank the display when not at home to extend life of the nixie's.
    Able to alternately display indoor/outdoor temperature.
    (Add your own feature here...you are the programmer)

So I designed this... Name:  PCB.jpg
Views: 3143
Size:  36.4 KB

Based on this schematic...Name:  Schematic.jpg
Views: 3871
Size:  79.0 KB

Which includes one of these... Name:  ESP01.jpg
Views: 2754
Size:  11.3 KB

The adapter PCB has a spot for a ds18b20 to provide indoor room temperature.
    There is a couple of extra I/O pins to allow you to remotely recieve outdoor temperature if desired.
    Will be able to get NTP time via the ESP wifi module and auto set the clock and keep accurate time.
    Will have a web interface, also via the ESP, to allow you to choose hours of display on/off and easily change other parameters.
    Includes a PICKIT programming header to allow firmware updates easily.

And will be coded in our favorite PBP BASIC so it will be easy to customize.
    The little 1.5" x 1.5" board is an adapter that will plug into the socket for the MSP430 and fit nicely inside the case.

So if you are interested in joining in and having some fun and ending up with a nice little nixie clock... well... stay tuned. Or better yet get your clock on order! (be sure to get the optional case) assuming you want it.

I am not associated with the maker of the tindie clock kit just a satisfied customer.

I'd be happy to share my code and you can order your own adapter board from oshpark (3 for $12)

Here is another link to someones webpage reviewing the clock kit... http://maniacallabs.com/2015/03/11/m...-clock-by-rob/

I have not yet received the adapter PCB from Oshpark, so at this time it's untested. I'll post back here when I get it and assuming no errors, etc. Here is the link to the adapter board... https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/VGYjILPE

What do you all think??
    Last edited by Heckler; - 3rd January 2016 at 19:13.
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.