Just can't get started

Closed Thread

Default Just can't get started

Hi All,
    I am a brand newbie to PICs as far as software goes, but I have about 30 years experience on the hardware side. I am having a devil of a time just getting an LED to blink with a 16F887. The LED is connected to port D bit 0; pin 19. I am trying to run blinkx.pbp from the melabs website; http://melabs.com/samples/LABX1-16F887/blinkx.htm. I have MicroCode Studio 4 with PicBasicPro v2.6 compiler. Here is the code:

ANSEL = %00000000
    ANSELH= %00000000
    LED var Portd.0
    mainloop:
    High LED
    pause 500

low led
    pause 500

goto mainloop

end

This gives syntax errors on lines 11 and 12 (ANSEL and ANSELH), and a bad data type error on line 13 (LED var Portd.0). I am really buffaloed by these errors. As I said, this example came right off of the microEngineering labs website. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    mike

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Just can't get started

Compiles without issue for me.
    Check to be SURE you have selected the correct PIC in Microcode studio, If that's not correct you will see those errors.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Hi Archangel,
    I have the correct PIC selected. I was looking around at the menus, and inadvertently told it to find automatically the PBP compiler under View, Compile and Program Options. It reselected C:\pbp, so nothing has changed. But I still get these 3 compile errors. Any other ideas?
    regards,
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikejp56 View Post
    Hi Archangel,
    I have the correct PIC selected. I was looking around at the menus, and inadvertently told it to find automatically the PBP compiler under View, Compile and Program Options. It reselected C:\pbp, so nothing has changed. But I still get these 3 compile errors. Any other ideas?
    regards,
    mike
    Name:  sucess.png
Views: 326
Size:  70.5 KBName:  sucess.png
Views: 326
Size:  70.5 KB
    Sorry I copy pasted your code, see the image. Now if you select a chip WITHOUT ansel you will error out.
    Last edited by Archangel; - 10th October 2015 at 03:35.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Red face Re: Just can't get started

HIGH and LOW do not require any port setup. They set as output automatically, see the manual.
    You don't need the ANSELs.

Hi Archangel and kenif,
    I uninstalled MCS and PBP, and reinstalled both programs, and now it works.
    Thanks for your time.
    regards,
    mike

I have PBPX 3.0.7.1 and is compiles OK - an obvious mistake is to select 16F877 when you mean 16F887. Maybe the syntax is different in 2.6? Anyone with 2.6?

Among the more common things that got wrong (does not apply to your immediate problem) clock not running, incorrect setting of fuses and not turning off comparators. Suggest you have a look at anything by Darrel Taylor and in particular his ALLDIGITAL and FUSE CONFIGURATION programs.

George

HIGH and LOW do not require any port setup. They set as output automatically, see the manual.
    You don't need the ANSELs.
    That is only partly correct!

HIGH/LOW manages the TRIS register for you but it does NOT manage ANSEL, CMCOM or any other registers which may prevent a digital pin from functioning as an output.

/Henrik.