So you bought an ESP8266 and you are stuck with AT_v0.22 because your module has only 512kB? Well, not any more!

If your are like me and want to use your ESP8266 has is and not try to learn LUA then you are best with the latest AT firmware. Here are how to upgrade your ESP8266 module with a 1024kB flash.

First of all TAKE A PICTURE of your board. It can be helpful because there is no silk screen on the board and you'll have to place the new chip in the right direction.
Second, make sure your flashing setup works. Test it with the last AT firmware available to your setup: AT_v0.22. Flash it with the Flash download tool.

Next you need a new flash memory. Go to your favourite onlined store and search for W25Q80BV. I bought this one. You want the narrow one (150-mil). Chances are you'll find only the wide one (208-mil): don't worry we'll make it fit!

To desolder the old flash you have two options: hot air or Chip Quik. I used hot air with this station. If you are using hot air apply some Kapton tape on the board to protect the other parts. You don't want to see them fly all over the place!

Once removed use some solder wick to remove the excess solder from the pads. Tip: solder wick oxidise with time: apply a little flux before using. If you have the wide chip you'll have to bend a little the pins.

Name:  BentPins.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  93.3 KB

Begin by applying some solder on one pad then re-flow that solder and slide the chip in place. Inspect the chip with a magnifier to make sure it is centred then solder the other pins.

You are now ready to flash your module with the latest firmware. New firmware supports OTA (over the air) flashing. Next time you can just use AT+CIUPDATE command to update your module. See readme file in folder \bin\at.

HTH