OT - (slightly) - Bluetooth issues

Closed Thread

Default OT - (slightly) - Bluetooth issues

Guys need some advice.

I've been playing with various technologies (GLCD, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) to try and enhance an old project. I've obtained an HC-06 bluetooth module from e-bay and it's connected and I'm able to directly chat with it using a terminal application and FTDI 232 adapter to interrogator and set the device up. The module is purely a slave module that allows serial over blue tooth and as such only has a hand full of AT commands for setting the ID, baud rate and four digit access code. However the problem is that whilst all my blue tooth devices can find the HC-06 the LED indicator on the device won't stop flashing to indicate a successful pairing (even though windows 7 shows the device installed correctly). From a phone it simply won't connect after entering the pairing code, but then a quick google suggests that this is die to the jellybean operating system more than the device.

I did get as far as windows setting up the comport, but when I launched the application I use to set up my project, which if it receives an ascii character it then sends data to the PC application it finds the controller on port X but then hangs - there after windows complains that the device doesn't have serial port service running.

I've tried two PC's and three phones (two were windows 8.1 phones) - and I still can't pair the device. Any of you guys ever used these HC-06 (or HC-05) devices in their projects and can give me some pointers

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: OT - (slightly) - Bluetooth issues

Interestingly, when it does install a com port it provides 2 ports one for incoming and the other for outgoing... no that's going to confuse things !!

OK - I've I'm now perplexed - LED on the module is still flashing rapidly, windows added a serial port under the Bluetooth settings and assigned port com9 - just the one - it didn't ask for a pairing code though which was strange, and whilst everything looks fine in device manager etc, it's impossible to communicate with the device via a serial terminal, the application just hangs when trying to open the port....
    Last edited by Scampy; - 26th June 2015 at 19:53.

OK - managed to get a steady locked LED and the device is paired up - Device manager shows com9 and com11 - StemPro connects to com9 and I can send AT commands - but nothing is received , and com11 won't open !!

This won't be too much of in issue under PBP as I can modify the code so that serial out goes down one pin (B0 for example) and serial in comes in via another (B1 for example)... But then this assumes that windows will assign the same port numbers each time on all devices.

We'll I managed to get a connection, and send and receive data, but the connection soon dropped out ! - More to play about with, but thanks for your input guys