Version 3.0.8 released.

Closed Thread

Default Version 3.0.8 released.

Hi,
    I just noticed that version 3.0.8 was released a couple of days ago.
    Support for a bunch of new devices and some fixes. From the version history page:

Added support for devices: 16(L)F1454, 16(L)F1458, 16(L)F1459, 12(L)F1571, 16(L)F1572,
    16(L)F1574, 16(L)F1575,16(L)F1578, 16(L)F1579, 12(L)F1612, 16(L)F1613, 16(L)F1614, 16(L)F1615,
    16(L)F1618, 16(L)F1619, 16(L)F1703, 16(L)F1704, 16(L)F1705, 16(L)F1707, 16(L)F1708, 16(L)F1709,
    16(L)F1713, 16(L)F1716, 16(L)F1717, 16(L)F1718, 16(L)F1719, 16(L)F1764, 16(L)F1765, 16(L)F1768,
    16(L)F1769, 16LF1554, 16LF1559, 16(L)F18313*, 16(L)F18323*, 16(L)F18325*, 16(L)F18345*, 16F753,
    16HV753, 18F97J94, 18F87J94, 18F67J94, 18F96J99, 18F86J99, 18F66J99, 18F96J94, 18F86J94,
    18F66J94, 18F95J94, 18F85J94, 18F65J94
    * preliminary support, no datasheet available at time of build

Removed support for 16F527 (device not currently compatible with PBP)

Fixed HPWM for 16(L)F1788, 1789
    Suppressed error 311 for K50 parts with PBPL
    Fixed WRITECODE block size for 16(L)F1946, 1947
    Added message concerning use of high-level commands on PORTF/G on 16(L)F1946/7, 16(L)F1526/7, 16F946

The following devices are not currently compatible with PBP: 10F200, 10F204, 10(L)F320, 10(L)F322, 12F520, 16F527, 16F570, 16(L)F18855, 16(L)F18875
    /Henrik.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Version 3.0.8 released.

Thanks for posting Henrik.

Ioannis

Since I have lost my registration number and can not find any trace of the purchasing documents (all I remember is that I purchased the gold edition on line via Melab site)

Any suggestion on how can I obtain a copy of my registration number?

Cheers
    Al.
    All progress began with an idea

Hi,

Since you did the original purchase via MeLabs I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

With that said, if you have it installed and activated I think you'll be fine by just downloading 3.0.8 and installing it over you're previous version. I'd try that myself but the download page says that it required MPLAB X and I don't want to mess around with that just now.

/Henrik.

Henrik is right, no problem with the update.

As for the MPLABX there is no problem in "messing" with it. Just download the beast, install it with a lot of patience and forget it. Also you do not need to uninstall the old version (8.xx) you have.

Ioannis

Eureka! I found the text file with all the registration keys. It was burried into an archive of an old computer that is a couple of years that I don't use it anymore. I was planning to take it to the Council Eco rabbish collector. Thank you Henrik for this thread, that gaves me the opportunity to recover these important documents.

Any way, thank you both for the advice, which are always useful.

Cheers
    Al.
    All progress began with an idea

Great news Al!

I downloaded and installed MPLABX v3.00 and then PBP3.0.8.4. After a reboot the PBP-MPASM tool started and found the MPASMX folder. Now compiling from within Micro Code Studio is using MPASMX (5.62) and my simple test program compiles fine. However, if I don't have the option MPASM Close after assemble ticked I get an Access Violation error after assembly. Ticking that option (which is the way I usually have it) makes the problem go away. Anyone else seeing this?

Then I thougt I'd give MPLABX yet another go.
    Needless to say I didn't get far....
    I remember needing to download a plugin from MeLabs, can't find it.
    Then I remembered this thread (which is for v1.95) and it says to select Tools->Plugins->Available Plugins and choose the PBP Toolchain. No such thing in my installation. In fact, there's nothing in the Available plugins pane.

Skipping that and trying to go Tools->Options->Embedded->Add and pointing it to the PBP3 folder is a no go. Base directory does not contain a toolchain.

Then I messed around a bit with Tools->Options->Embedded->Build Tools->Add Custom Compiler and pointed IT to the PBP3 folder, gave it the location and filename of PBP3, MPASMX and MPLINK etc.
    Created a new project, selected PBP3, PICKit3 etc, added a source file to the source folder and clicked Run->Build project at which point it told me the project was empty.

Bloody hell, this is the THIRD time I try to get this thing off the ground but it's so freeking convoluted and instructions is either non existant or not applicable.

Please, anyone with enough knowhow on MPLABX, can you do a detailes step by step guide on how to set it up to work with PBP3. I'll buy you a couple of beers.

/Henrik.

Will version 3.0.8 still work with mplab 8.92

No, it asks for MPLABX.

Ioannis

I have installed 3.0.8 and it works fine with mplab 8.92.

[speculation]
    Perhaps it does - untill you try to compile (or assemble rather) code for a chip for which there is no assembler include file in the older version of the assembler included in MPLAB 8.92.
    [/speculation]

I believe so too.

Ioannis

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    Please, anyone with enough knowhow on MPLABX, can you do a detailes step by step guide on how to set it up to work with PBP3. I'll buy you a couple of beers.

/Henrik.
    Hi Henrik

tried MPLABX 3.00 and 3.05 : Both are Buggy, and I cannot open any PbP source file with them.
    ( files can be opened if you unload PBP plugin ... but no more compiling ! )

so ... MPLABX 2.35 works fine with PBP : keep this version until something really usable is released ...

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Thanks Alain!
    I can't believe this crap. Melabs says that PBP requires MPLAB X and links to a version (the latest). They say:
    PBP includes a purpose-built IDE called MicroCode Studio, but many prefer to work in the well-known MPLAB IDE from Microchip. We include a language tool plugin for MPLAB to allow seamless development using Microchip’s development tools from within MPLAB. Debugging in this environment can be switched from Source to Assembly level for full access to the generated code.
    Where's the plugin? Where's the instructions on how to use it?
    Never mind, it's doesn't work anyway - with the version MeLabs is linking to.

I'm usually on the defending side when it comes to the what PBP is, what it does and what it can do but when it comes to this MPLAB integration it just sucks.
    Apparently it can be made to work, you're the evidence of that, but they're sure ain't helping you out.

Sorry for the rant, had to let off some steam before the morning cofee....

/Henrik.

And, out of curiosity, why are you bothering with this MPLABX monster? I installed it just because PBP needs it, and still use MCS to edit and compile the source.

Maybe you need it for Debuging?

Ioannis

To get away from MicroCodeStudio which is crashing on me now and again.
    To to be able to use source level debugging.
    To be able to use revision control (that is of course possible outside of any IDE)
    To get code folding in the editor.
    To be able to easily see how much RAM is being used.

But mainly to get source level debugging.

I know that code folding is available through FineLine IDE.

As for sorce level debugging, yes I'd like that too...

About RAM, the MCS gives the number at the end of compilation.

Also the MCS seems stable at my end so far. I remember you had problems, so you still have. Sorry about that. Maybe you can setup a virtual machine and run MCS in this environment.

Ioannis

Code folding and RAM doesn't work in MPLABX, it just show how much FLASH is used.
    Used RAM is always 0%
    Name:  ram.png
Views: 741
Size:  20.2 KB

I have also updated my PBP to 3.0.8 and I use it with MPLAB 8.73a with out any problems. What's the big deal with MPLABX?
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Are you absolutely sure that you compile with the 3.0.8 and not with an older version of the PBP compiler?

Ioannis

Hi,
    > I know that code folding is available through FineLine IDE.
    Are you sure about that? As far as I can see from Norms post a couple of weeks back it's not.

> About RAM, the MCS gives the number at the end of compilation.
    Are you sure about that? As far as I know it tells you how big the compiled program is, not how much RAM it uses.

> Also the MCS seems stable at my end so far. I remember you had problems, so you still have. Sorry about that. Maybe you can setup a virtual machine and run MCS in this environment.
    Yes, it still does it from time to time. No, I don't know how to setup a virtual environment and there should be no need to. It crashes for me on at home and at work and I'm not alone so the problem isn't strictly at my end. Even Darrel reported he had crashes with it - more so than he initially thought,

> Code folding and RAM doesn't work in MPLABX, it just show how much FLASH is used.
    Oh, that sucks. But you aren't using the latest version of MPLABX are you? Not saying it works there but it IS listed as one of the features so a properly implemented toolchain plugin or whatever it is that is needed "should" allow it to work.

> I have also updated my PBP to 3.0.8 and I use it with MPLAB 8.73a with out any problems. What's the big deal with MPLABX?
    What if you try to compile for a part for which support was added in 3.0.8, like the 18F96J99? Does it work then? I suspect it doesn't really need MPLABX but it needs the latest version of MPASM (which comes WITH the latest version MPLABX) in order to assemble code for the new devices.

The big deal with MPLAB is to be able to use source level debugging and to get away from MCSX which crashes from time to time.

/Henrik.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsson; - 23rd June 2015 at 22:48.

I was seriously thinking of upgrading from PBP 3.0.7.4 to 3.0.8, but with all I have read here maybe not?
    I too like Henrik rely heavily on MPLAB for source level debugging and simulation and I can't afford to lose that functionality.

Henrik, have you pinged Charles Leo about these issues?
    Hopefully they can put together an install MOP/Manual to get 3.0.8 working for all of us with the correct version of MPLABX with the functions we need working.
    Regards,
    TABSoft

I have used mplabx for pbp3 in the past and find
    1. code folding does not work
    2. ram usage is always 0
    3. it won't complie with dt-ints18 included
    tried again this morning
    "C:\PBP3\pbpx.exe" -ampasmx -k# -os -p18f45k20 C:/Users/rc/Documents/PBP3/tft/tft.X/tft.pbp
    Error[116] C:\USERS\RC\DOCUMENTS\PBP3\TFT\TFT.X\TFT.ASM 2456 : Address label duplicated or different in second pass (Z00183)
    Error[116] C:\USERS\RC\DOCUMENTS\PBP3\TFT\TFT.X\TFT.ASM 2519 : Address label duplicated or different in second pass (Z00184)
    Error[116] C:\USERS\RC\DOCUMENTS\PBP3\TFT\TFT.X\TFT.ASM 2572 : Address label duplicated or different in second pass (Z00185)
    Error[116] C:\USERS\RC\DOCUMENTS\PBP3\TFT\TFT.X\TFT.ASM 2603 : Address label duplicated or different in second pass (Z00186)
    a click on the error shows this section of the asm file

Code:
    ifdef OSCFIF  ;----{ Osc Fail  Interrupt Flag }-----------[PIR2, OSCFIF]---
          INT_Source  PIR2,OSCFIF, PIE2,OSCFIE, IPR2,OSCFIP
      endif

ENDASM?

; C:\PBP3\DT_INTS-18.BAS    00313 Z00183 asm
    Z00183
     ASM?
    ; -- Added for ver. 3.2 --
      ifdef SPPIF   ;----{ Streaming Parallel Port Read/Write }--[PIR1, SPPIF]---
          INT_Source  PIR1,SPPIF, PIE1,SPPIE, IPR1,SPPIP
      endif
      ifdef BCL1IF  ;----{ Bus 1 Collision }--------------------[PIR2, BCL1IF]---
    4. worst of all you can't comment/uncomment a block of code

I don't think its worth the effort

I use MPLAB all the time.
    I develop and edit in MCS or UEStudio, then do all my source debugging in MPLAB.

It's really about the debugging for me using the simulator.
    MPLAB debug in PBP Source and/or assembler.

I then move over to the Oshonsoft Simulator and finally to HW.
    Regards,
    TABSoft

Henrik, have you pinged Charles Leo about these issues?
    No, not this time, but have done previously - several times actually (see here, for example). Apparently others have been able to make it work (with some specific, previous, version of MPLAB) but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Hopefully they can put together an install MOP/Manual to get 3.0.8 working for all of us with the correct version of MPLABX with the functions we need working.
    One would think so but, like I said, have been asking for years. First time was when MPLABX 1.0 was released back in 2011/2012.

Anyway, since I haven't been able to make it work I haven't actually TRIED MPLABX. Perhaps it's not as usefull as an IDE as I hope it is and there are others IDEs available but I REALLY want to be able to use source level debugging, at the hardware level, and as far as I know you can't do that with anything else. I've been publicly wishing for it to be integrated into MCSPX but it probably won't happen.

/Henrik.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsson View Post
    To get away from MicroCodeStudio which is crashing on me now and again.
    To to be able to use source level debugging.
    To be able to use revision control (that is of course possible outside of any IDE)
    To get code folding in the editor.
    To be able to easily see how much RAM is being used.

But mainly to get source level debugging.
    my MPLAB 8.92 still works fine ( even for debugging ) ... of course it doesn't know the very, very late chips ...

but I'm happy with it ... and I still can use my gentle 20 years old Picstart plus !!!

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

code folding - what is that btw

Henrik, Maybe you should look at another source of your crashes. I have been using registered versions of MCSP since 2003 and MCSPX since 2011 and have NEVER had it crash during a session. I have used registered versions of PBP since 2.37 and every version up to the latest.
    Last edited by Dave; - 27th July 2015 at 14:00.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Henrik, Maybe you should look at another source of your crashes. I have been using registered versions of MCSP since 2003 and MCSPX since 2011 and have NEVER had it crash during a session. I have used registered versions of PBP since 2.37 and every version up to the latest.
    Sound crazy but I had MCSP crashes when Visual Studio ( <2010 ) was running too. Looks more stable with VS2010 but I try to avoid working with both environment open. I had repeating crashes with previous version of VS when iTunes was running in background. I uninstalled that iCrap and never tried again.

Quote Originally Posted by longpole001 View Post
    Code folding is a feature of some text editors, source code editors, and IDEs that allows the user to selectively hide and display – "fold" – sections of a currently-edited file as a part of routine edit operations. This allows the user to manage large amounts of text while viewing only those subsections of the text that are specifically relevant at any given time. Identification of folds can be automatic, most often based on the syntax of the computer language in question, or manual, either based on an in-band marker (saved as part of the source code) or specified out-of-band, only within the editor.

For more info, see Code_folding
    Why pay for overpriced toys when you can have
    professional grade tools for FREE!!!

Dave, I'd be happy to but the fact remains that it's MCSPX that crashes "randomly", for me and for others so it's not something unique at my end. Of course some other application may be the root cause of it but still it's MCSPX that crashes....

For me it does it on two different machines by the way, both running W7. I can't remember it ever crashing on my old XP laptop though.

People have tried to help Mecanique and Melabs by posting error messages and crash/debug information but they don't seem to be able to do or say anyting about it.

Just like you I've been a long time user, I still have my PBC installation floppy which I later upgraded to PBP (it says v2.31 on the floppy) and then on from there. I find the compiler extremely stable and reliable. It's only after the introduction of MCSPX that it (the IDE, not the compiler) started to crash on me.

/Henrik.

thanks

gee i like the sound of that option - it be very nice to have

rmteo

Re: Version 3.0.8 released.
    Quote Originally Posted by longpole001 View Post
    Code folding is a feature of some text editors, source code editors, and IDEs that allows the user to selectively hide and display – "fold" – sections of a currently-edited file as a part of routine edit operations. This allows the user to manage large amounts of text while viewing only those subsections of the text that are specifically relevant at any given time. Identification of folds can be automatic, most often based on the syntax of the computer language in question, or manual, either based on an in-band marker (saved as part of the source code) or specified out-of-band, only within the editor.

For more info, see Code_folding

Hi Henrik
    thank you very much on your kind support.
    mike