What's the next chip up from F627/8 for basic digilal I/O? Need a few more pins.

Closed Thread

Default What's the next chip up from F627/8 for basic digilal I/O? Need a few more pins.

Most of the designs I have done recently have used the F627/8 chips using mostly digital I/O and one or two analog inputs, but now I need two or three more digital I/O pins and I'm trying to figure out which is the least expensive, simplest chip that just has a little more I/O. I am looking at the 16F631/677/685/689/690 series and these look like good cost/performance choices. Just wondering if anyone else has gone here before and has a preferred chip. It is so baffling drilling down through Digi-Key's search table. I don't want to go through the process of learning a whole new chip only to find it has limitations or issues.

My current project involves a custom-designed static LCD where I'm going to direct drive the segments from the port pins. So I am up 15 I/O pins (plus backplane drive) for the LCD and need the extra pins for user interface.
    "Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: What's the next chip up from F627/8 for basic digilal I/O? Need a few more pins.

16F648 - same as 628 but more memory & program space. 16F690 is my go to 20 pin pkg I bought microchip demo boards which hook up to pickit2 or 3 directly. Very easy to program and test on the fly.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Default Re: What's the next chip up from F627/8 for basic digilal I/O? Need a few more pins.

Thanks, that is an interesting chip. Unusual power pin locations an general pin placement. I see why you like it and will keep it in mind.

I'm also considering the PIC16F882 as it's a bit cheaper and has plenty of extra I/O, it's overkill but works for this app.

I have used the following for a while...
    8 pin 12F683
    14 pin 16F688
    20 pin 16F690
    These were pretty much interchangable in terms of configs (8 pin used gpio instead of port)

Then instead of the 16F690 (4K memory, no Cap Sense inputs)
    I switched to the 16F1828 (4K and Cap Sense)
    and now I am using the 16F1829 (8k and Cap Sense)

Same 20 pin footprint and only a few config changes.
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

You did not specified what memory requirements you have, so:

PIC16F527 at $0,46, 1,5K Flash
    PIC16F1507 at $0,68, 3 Flash
    PIC16F1578 at $0,70, 7K Flash

Ioannis

Great feedback guys - thanks. I will look into the suggested chips.

Sometimes I wish Microchip would go retro and make some *really* basic chips with no fancy features, just s few A/Ds and all digital I/O with minimal configs. I'd use a bunch of them!

Another chip you should like to try is the 16F723A.
    Is pin compatible with the 16f882,28 pins,internal oscillator
    and very cheap..
    Greetings...
    Ruben de la Pena.