Timer PIC16F57

Closed Thread

Thread: Timer PIC16F57

Default Timer PIC16F57

Hello.
    Iīm trying to write a simple example that will make my ledīs flash every 20s.
    I understand timerīs in PIC16F872 because they have interrupts associated (TMR1), but iīm using PIC16F57 which only has one timer, TMR0, and no interrupts...
    TMR0 timer is an 8-bit special function register with working range of 256. Assuming that 4MHz oscillator is used, TMR0 can measure 0-255 microseconds range (at 4MHz, TMR0 increments by one microsecond), but how do i measure 20s with TMR0?
    Regards

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hello Leonel,

Iīm trying to write a simple example that will make my ledīs flash every 20s.
    I understand timerīs in PIC16F872 because they have interrupts associated (TMR1), but iīm using PIC16F57 which only has one timer, TMR0, and no interrupts...
    I don't know what you want to do... but how complicated do you want to get????

psuedo code..(that just may work, but haven't tested it).

TRISB=%00000000
    Loop:
    Portb.0 = High
    Pause 500
    Portb.0=Low
    Pause 20000 'pause 20 seconds.
    goto loop
    end

Dwayne
    Last edited by Dwayne; - 29th June 2005 at 17:53.
    Ability to Fly:
    Hurling yourself towards the ground, and missing.

Engineers that Contribute to flying:
    Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute

Pilots that are Flying:
    Those who know their limitations, and respect the green side of the grass...

Talking

Hi, leonel

At each interrupt, you increment ( or easier decrement !!! ) a counter ...which (inc) rements another counter if the first overflows ... which ( inc ) rements ...

etc. etc.

Permits to do something else during blinking ... ( isn't it Dwayne ??? )

can be done with PBP or directly with assembler ... ( No, ... i didn't tell it ... my doctor said: no shock on the head, ... )

Alain

PS : No interrupt ... so you poll for TMR0 overflow !!!
    Last edited by Acetronics2; - 29th June 2005 at 18:05.

Hello Alain,

Alain >>Permits to do something else during blinking ... ( isn't it Dwayne ??? )<<

Don't know <smile>. Simple program to blink a light?

With change of Chips? With no info on the final project, With no intended purpose but to blink a light, and "Simple example"? I can only assume a Blinky Light...Hopefully He will have it running, and if the info we gave him doesn't pan out, He can give us more info, so that we can become a little more detailed <g>.

Like What Ralph posted on the FAQ...

Need chip #, Code, details, Projects purpose, and other things.
    I rememeber a while back, a person asked to change a 4 (separate) byte Hex to Decimal...I gave him the code, then his example had 5 (separate) bytes coming in, and he wondered why it didn't give him the right answer<g>.

Dwayne
    Ability to Fly:

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute

Pilots that are Flying:

Default Pause command

Using pause command i donīt see if any other input. What i want is put my output high during 20s but at the same time see if other input goes high. If it goes high i will start over again, my time goes to 0s, and i will start counting 20s

Wink

Hi, leonel ...

Don't shout at me but I did something like that with a resettable 555 and some CD4000 logic ... it was in one of my prior lives.

Said honestly, the 16F57 is not really the best Choice here ...

Alain

Default Space problems

Yes, i know thatīs not the best choice, but itīs what i have i know that with some logic i can do that, but i have 8 inputs and mixing all together i will need "some CD4000" and i have space problems (in my box i have to put 8 relays, and all electronic...), thatīs why i want to use a cheaper PIC...

Talking

Your project looks like a quizz box ...

20 second to answer ... who's the quickest of 8 !!!

we REALLY need to know a lot more about your top secret weapon. ...

if you really want help, of course

Alain

Hello Loenel,

How accurate does it have to be on blinking every 20 seconds?
    We now have concluded that there is muching going on, thus, it is not just a simple "Blink" a light.

1. How long of a pause is allowed?

For example: Untested... but the idea is there...

Code:
      Counter1 var word
      Counter2 Var word
      Loop:
      Counter1=0
      Counter2=0
      Loop2:
       if Counter1< 20
         if Counter2 <1000
             Pause 1  'Pause 1/1000 of a second
             CheckButtons....
             Do stuff...
             CheckButtons....
             Do Stuff
                if CheckButtons==Pushed then goto Loop
             Counter2=Counter2+1;
         Endif

if(Counter2>=1000)
           Counter1=Counter1+1;
           counter2=0;
         endif
       endif
       if Counter1<20 goto Loop2

Blink light = on
      Pause 200  'pause 1/5 of a second to light up the light.
      Blink Light = off
      goto Loop:
    Granted, this is a "oversimplification" of code. But it is a generic program that will allow lights to be blinked and still scan keys once ever 1/1000 of a second (with the exception of a blinky light.
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Default My secret weapon ;)

Ok, i'll explain my secret weapon
    I have 8 buttons that will control relays. One button corresponds to one relay. If itīis pressed i turn on the relay and stays on for 20s or 40s (depending the position of a switch). If one button is pressed while one relay is on the time goes to begin and the two relays stays on again 20s or 40s. On led is on if one relay is on...
    Hereīs my secret weapon
    It was simple if i was using PIC16F872 (thatīs the PIC i know better...)
    My pulse itīs 200ms and the time itīs not critical (if i have 17s instead 20s thatīs ok)

Unhappy

ok ..something usable now ...
    Last edited by Acetronics2; - 30th June 2005 at 10:29.

Default Code - warning

Hereīs my code to do what i said (with a little help of Dwayne).
    Compiling my code thereīs some warnings "Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set." I read in PBP manual that i donīt have to worry because PBP take care of this for me. Itīs true?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello Leonel,

Leonel
    If itīis pressed i turn on the relay and stays on for 20s or 40s (depending the position of a switch). If one button is pressed while one relay is on the time goes to begin and the two relays stays on again 20s or 40s.
    Hummm....I see a 40 second delay.... not a twenty second delay... thus a new variable has been added

Ok. let me get this straight...(correct me if I am wrong).

1. You have 8 LED's (or relays).
    2. You have 1 switch that is connected to some kind of software relay that says 20 or 40 seconds. (I am going to assume you have this switch set to the 20 second position for this message)
    3. If #1 button is pressed, it will turn on relay 1 for 20 seconds (or 40, depending upon if the HighLow software switch is on or off) If a second button is pressed BEFORE the first relay resets, Both the first Relay and the NEW relay (The one that you just got through pressing) stays on for at LEAST another 20 seconds.
    4. If another button (lets say relay #3) is pressed BEFORE Button 1 and 2 go off in their allowed time, all 3 relays will be active for at least another 20 seconds..
    5. But at ANY time, there is a 20 second interval of NO button pressing, all the relays will turn off....

Is this correct?

Dwayne
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Hello Leonel,

I am going to assume what I posted was correct...Here is some code to look at...Using my code, I added just a few things to allow for all your switches.

Code:
    Switching var byte;
    Counter1 var word
      Counter2 Var word
      Loop:
      Counter1=0
      Counter2=0
      Loop2:
       if Counter1< 20
         if Counter2 <1000
         if switching=1 then Pause 1  'Pause 1/1000 of a second to make 20
         if switching=0 then Pause 2  'Pause 1/500 of a second to make 40

if Portb.0=1 then 
                turn on switch.
                goto Loop
          endif

if Portb.1=1 then 
                turn on switch.
                goto Loop
          endif

if Portb.2=1 then 
                turn on switch.
                goto Loop
          endif

....    (for each of your eight switches)

Counter2=Counter2+1;
         Endif

if(Counter2>=1000)
           Counter1=Counter1+1;
           counter2=0;
         endif
       endif

Portb=0;  'turn off ALL of the switches!
      Blink light = on
      Blink Light = off
      goto Loop:
    The above code will take care of your switches, but the problem comes with your Blinky light every 20 seconds. If a person keeps pressing switches, your light will not blink every 20 seconds. Thus some kind of internal timer is needed to take care of your blinky to have it blink every 20 seconds.

Dwayne
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Default Correct

Yes... all your 5 points are correct. If you understand my code thatīs a good beginning!
    Thank you!

Hello Leonel,

Yes, I pretty much understood your code...

Just a couple of suggestions.

If and then statements...

If a "IF statement has only one statement, you do not need a "endif".

The if statement below NEEDS a endif
    Code:
      If a > b then
           c=d
           d=f
           f=g
       endif
    this does not need a endif statement;
    Code:
      if  a=b then c=d
      if d=f then d=g
    This will help you on your code space and readability...(Of course I must look whos speaking too <chuckle> I think my code is some of the hardest to read <g>)

Dwayne
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Hello Leonel,,

just had a brain fart to take care of your blinky light...

Code:
    Switching var byte;
      LightCount var Word
      Counter1 var word
      Counter2 Var word
      LightCount=0
      Loop:
      Counter1=0
      Counter2=0
      Loop2:
       if Counter1< 20
         if Counter2 <1000
         if switching=1 then Pause 1  'Pause 1/1000 of a second to make 20
         if switching=0 then Pause 2  'Pause 1/500 of a second to make 40

LightCount=LightCount+1
         If LightCount=20000 then
           LightCount=0
           Blink light = on
           Blink Light = off
         endif

if Portb.0=1 then 
                turn on switch.
                goto Loop
          endif

if Portb.1=1 then 
                turn on switch.
                goto Loop
          endif

if Portb.2=1 then 
                turn on switch.
                goto Loop
          endif

....    (for each of your eight switches)

Counter2=Counter2+1;
         Endif

if(Counter2>=1000)
           Counter1=Counter1+1;
           counter2=0;
         endif
       endif

Portb=0;  'turn off ALL of the switches!
      goto Loop:
    I put a separate counter for the blinky... stuck the blinky in the routine so that it will be called all the time, removed it from the end of the routine and since you said it doesn't matter too much on the exact time.... well...

Dwayne
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Default blinky light

Iīm sorry to start by a blinky light, but my english itīs not good to explain in detaill all things, so iīve put a simple question
    Iīm used to finish with endif, but if itīs better for my code space iīll follow your advise!
    Just another question: my code after compiling gives me this warning " "Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set." i donīt have to worry, because PBP takes care of this problem???!!! I donīt have any branch instruction so thatīs ok (pag.13 of PBP manual), my code will work great! Correct?

Hello Leonel,

Leonel
    Iīm sorry to start by a blinky light, but my english itīs not good to explain in detaill all things, so iīve put a simple question
    That is fine Leonel... Even I have problems... so you and I are in the same boat together... We can wave flags at each other, and sink with the ship...at least we will have a little fun.

Iīm used to finish with endif, but if itīs better for my code space iīll follow your advise!
    This is not a requirement Leonel... This is all up to you and your preference. You may code anyway that makes you understand it. I only made a suggestion, to show you a different way how to code. I have been corrected many times on my coding!... Sometimes I change, sometimes I don't. As long as the code compiles, and I understand it... its fine with me.

Just another question: my code after compiling gives me this warning " "Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set." i donīt have to worry, because PBP takes care of this problem???!!! I donīt have any branch instruction so thatīs ok (pag.13 of PBP manual), my code will work great! Correct?
    You shouldn't have to worry about crossing page boundary... PBP takes care of that... I only question is why??? I don't think you have 2 k of code there... but I could be wrong. But you should not have to worry about this warning.

Now about your code... If you notice my tag, one of the statements is: "Compile something that runs" There is no guarantee on your code (or my code) running to do the job you want it to do. Since I have no way how to test it, I can only give you code that is Close to what I think you are wanting.

Remember, the code I am giving you is a "shell" around your "Secret weapon" That shell is taking care of a blinky light, taking care of your 20 and 40 second timing, and also checking your switches. I noticed on your code, that my routine was used as a kind of subroutine. This may get you into a little trouble...with how your program works. But you can try it!...

Since you said the blinky light can be off by a few seconds, I made the code as a shell. A shell is the part that fits around your program and stuff. What will vary your blinky light, will be the code in my shell. But I am betting that the computer is so fast, that your code will not make that much difference between the blinky lights.

I also noticed you used a Pause 1000 . That is a 1 second delay...That means if you are pushing a button, you may have to hold it for at least 1 second! If this is ok with you, great.

My biggest question is:

Do you fully understand what my code is doing? Do you fully understand that it is a shell, and how it is taking care of the timing, switch checking, and blinky light? Do you know where to insert your code, so that my code will work like it should? I only ask these questions, because it seems you are using it as a kind of Subroutine. (I have not studied your code to fully comprehend it, but I just picked up on a few little things that made me wonder).

Dwayne
    Last edited by Dwayne; - 30th June 2005 at 16:24.
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Default Subroutine

Yes i understand your code and your right, iīm using it with a subroutine, and with your explanation i understand what a shell is (an oil pump )
    I used your code with a little modifications... now i have to build my hardware and test it.
    I know that with pause the program doesnīt check anything, but in this case (only in 2 inputs), thereīs no problem. If you see i'll make some of my outputs high during 20s or 40s with pause. and in this time i donīt want to see any input.

Hell Leonel,

Ok! Just wanted to make sure!...

I also noticed you changed my "If" statements to "while" statements.
    Since I do not have a testing ground here, I do not know what will happen, if the program "Jumps" out of the middle of a while statement too many times.
    I have had no problems jumping out of a "If" statement... but I am not sure about a while statement. So, I did not use while statements, for fear of crashing <g>.

Ralph, Steve, Melanie, Darrel, Bruce... Whats the answer???

Code:
    Loop
    a=1

while a <100 
        if a==50 goto Loop
        a=a+1
      wend
    goto Loop.
    If a hits 50 a bunch of times, will this give PBP a problem and lose its stack? or run haywire? I know in some older versions of C/C++, it could cause a problem with memory...but I am not sure in PBP.

Dwayne
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Default help

To be honest i donīt know the answer too! If anyone can help us...
    In all my experience (10 months in PBP ) i didnīt have problems, but... thereīs always a but!

personnaly if i want to jump out of a while statement i would prefer to validate the WHILE condition and set a JUMP or FLAG bit to do XYZ task...

well code will talk by itself...

Code:
    Start:
         While AVar!=50
              if AVar==20 then 
                   AVar=50
                   FlagBit=1
                   endif
              Wend
         IF FlagBit=1 then Start
    BUT i would also prefer another approach... like two WHILE statement one after the other... case by case i guess.

I don't belive that the Stack will be a problem since it's not a GOSUB...
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Hello Steve,

Steve>>i would prefer to validate the WHILE condition and set a JUMP or FLAG bit to do XYZ task...<<

Great minds think alike <grin>... (Hope you don't take that as a insult)

I am like you... I like to force the while to do its job...

Thanks Bud!... I hope things are well in Canada...

Dwayne
    Ability to Fly:

Pilots that are Flying:

Great minds think alike ... (Hope you don't take that as a insult)
    i don't see why i should ;o]
    I hope things are well in Canada...
    couldn't be better thanks!!!
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Default Thankīs

What i understand that itīs better to put a flag bit in a while do a goto in an if statement!! Ok...
    Thank 's to all of you for your help...