Micro Code Studio Crashing

Closed Thread

Default Micro Code Studio Crashing

Grrr. MCS keeps crashing. Any suggestions where to start looking?

Error report says-
    Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	CodeStudio.exe
      Application Version:	4.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:	2a425e19
      Fault Module Name:	StackHash_6ae7
      Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
      Exception Code:	00000000
      Exception Offset:	00000000
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:	2057
      Additional Information 1:	6ae7
      Additional Information 2:	6ae7ccbd15ffe6b53fdf8d5ad8c304fa
      Additional Information 3:	e696
      Additional Information 4:	e69610189d159d11ef4a1b7c20019c02

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Micro Code Studio Crashing

Bloody frustrating is what is.
    You're not the first and likely not the last but David Barker (author of MCS) claims he's never seen it and can't reproduce it so he can't do anything about it.

I've brought it up more than once but have yet to nail down a repeatable procedure to repeat it - it feels completely random. I can code for hours without it crashing, then the next day it crashes 5 times in an hour and it's impossible to put the finger on what is that triggers the crash. There are threads here and over at Melabs....

Please do tell Melabs and/or Mechanique, if more people reports problems maby, just maby they'll actually look into it. So, if anyone else experiences this please do post.

/Henrik.

I have to say, normally MCS is stable and I rarely get problems, but this job I'm on is currently compiling at 52k bytes and growing.
    I may have to re-visit Norm's Fineline if it persists.

Tim.

...crashed again.
    Thats it I am going to look at Fineline again.

Tim.

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	CodeStudio.exe
      Application Version:	4.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:	2a425e19
      Fault Module Name:	StackHash_6ae7
      Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
      Exception Code:	00000000
      Exception Offset:	00000000
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:	2057
      Additional Information 1:	6ae7
      Additional Information 2:	6ae7ccbd15ffe6b53fdf8d5ad8c304fa
      Additional Information 3:	e696
      Additional Information 4:	e69610189d159d11ef4a1b7c20019c02

Done a bit of googling and came across this on a microsoft webs site

The StackHash error occurs when DEP is invoked and has an issue with whatever application you’re trying to run (and there are several hundred out there that seem to give it fits). The error is related to Data Execution Prevention.

We will narrow down on the issue, by booting the computer in clean boot. To boot the computer in clean boot refer the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue does not persist after booting in clean boot state, then continue with the troubleshooting to check which application or software is causing the explorer to crash, you may continue with step 2 from the above link.

Make sure you reset the computer to normal mode from step 7 after completing with troubleshooting.

After finding which application is causing the problem, you may follow the below steps:

1 Open the Start menu and click Control Panel
    2 Browse to System Maintenance then System
    3 In the left panel, select Advanced System Settings from the available links
    4 You should now see the System Properties Window, which will have three sections. The top section is labeled Performance and has a Settings button. Click this button.
    5 Select the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    6 Select the option which reads Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
    7 Use the Browse button to locate the executable file for the application you were trying to start when you received the StackHash error, and click Open to add it to your exceptions list.
    8 Click Apply or OK to commit your changes.
    Can't say it will fix the issue. But there are lots of hits, and it's not limited to MSC... any application, including those from Micrsoft can suffer a stackhash error

I agree, Fineline looks increasingly tempting to switch over to. The only function I miss, and that makes me reluctant to switch, is the ICD.

Any chances of that being incorporated in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by ardhuru View Post
    I agree, Fineline looks increasingly tempting to switch over to. The only function I miss, and that makes me reluctant to switch, is the ICD.

Any chances of that being incorporated in the future?
    FineLineIDE has undergone a rewrite and at present is being tested.
    A simple click of an icon in FL will open the file in Micro Code Studio for use of the ICD.
    Alternately a click of the MPLAB Sim icon in FL and drag of a file path will open the file in MPLAB IDE for use of their debugging capabilities.
    No FL v2.0 ETA as of yet.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Normnet View Post
    A simple click of an icon in FL will open the file in Micro Code Studio for use of the ICD.

No FL v2.0 ETA as of yet.
    Norm
    Okay, I'd missed that; its the F2 "Open in original IDE", right?

BTW, the version I have alreay *is* 2.0.0.0?

Quote Originally Posted by ardhuru View Post
    Okay, I'd missed that; its the F2 "Open in original IDE", right?

BTW, the version I have alreay *is* 2.0.0.0?
    Yes F2 and correction the new version will be 3.0

Norm

I like MCSX and its ease of use but there are many features that have been lacking.

As an alternative I use UEStudio from IDM Computer Solutions.
    I have been using UEStudio for many years as my go to editor and IDE.
    It has nearly every feature I need, it is very powerful, easy to use and highly customizable.
    Hex Editor, Line Mode/Column Mode Editor, Diff, Powerful Find/Replace, Bookmarking and Macros just to name a few.

I have taken advantage of is customizing features for syntax highlighting and tool chain use.
    My current syntax file for PBP allows me to highlight DEFINES, Keywords, Commands, Text Strings and Operators with different colors.
    I also have it create a Code Explorer Tree like MCSX with Includes, DEFINES, Constants, Variables and Labels for quick jumps to those portions of the sourcecode.
    I also have it setup to handle auto indentation of statements for If/Then, For/Next, Do/Loop, While/Wend, Select Case/End Select, #Config/#End Config, #If/#Endif and #Ifdef/#Endif.
    Lastly I have it setup for Code Folding for the above statements.

With the Tool Chain configuration I have it launch MPASMWIN with the command line switches and you can select the appropriate switches before you compile.

All in all, I use UEStudio to do most of my serious coding and then switch to MCSX, Visual Studio and a few other development IDEs as needed.

Don't get me wrong I do like MCSX and find myself using both, it just depends on what I am trying to accomplish.

Here is a snapshot of what it looks like.
    Name:  UEStudio.png
Views: 989
Size:  115.2 KB

Tree:Name:  List.png
Views: 975
Size:  10.1 KB
    Last edited by Tabsoft; - 28th February 2015 at 03:34.
    Regards,
    TABSoft

Hi,
    That looks awsome!
    I think I looked at UltraEdit a couple of years ago but IIRC there was no easy way to setup a single click compile and program with selectable programers like you can i MCS. That's pretty much a must have for me, can't stand having to switch applications, reload files etc etc.

You say that you have the toolchain setup with MPLAB but have you also been able to set it up to launch the programmer (PICKit3, MicroCode Loader, AMICUS18 Loader etc), passing it the correct switches and filename etc?

If that's doable I think you've got me hooked this time.

Apart from real source level debugging (and not randomly crashing) code folding is what I've been missing the most in MCS. I don't see source level debugging ever appearing so this looks pretty nice indeed. I've been meaning to get some sort of version control system and I see that UEtudio now has Git integrated. I have a Synology NAS which should be able to run a Git server - all new teritory though....

/Henrik.

Henrik,

The short answer is "yes" I have UEStudio launching my MEL U2 Programmer with the target device type (e.g. 18F4620) and the source hex file.
    It launches the U2 Programmer GUI with the file loaded and all I have to do is press "Program" in the GUI.

Let me put together some information regarding this and some more details on other features/functions I have setup.
    I'll post the info for you and others as a .pdf file here.

BTW, I have been a UltraEdit user for about 12 years.
    I switched to UEStudio about 8 years ago for all of the Solution/Project/Build capabilities that are available in UEStudio.
    Regards,
    TABSoft

Henrik,

I put together the attached .zip file.
    It includes a Tutorial on integrating the PBP Compiler and the U2 Programmer into UEStudio.
    It also includes the (2) files that UEStudio needs to support the PBP Compiler.
    1. PBP Application - UEStudio Compiler Configfile to setup the compiler tool chain for PBP and the U2 Programmer.
    2. pbp.uew - UEStudio Wordfile to setup the editor to handle PBP files for syntax highlighting, code folding, auto indent and code explorer tree (Function List).

Even though the tutorial is 27 pages, it's not bad at all to set this up. Most of the pages are used for screenshots.

I hope this is informative for all.

UES_PBP
    Regards,
    TABSoft

I had to break the zip file up due to upload size limitations.

Here is the zip file.
    UES_PBP.zip

Here is Appendix A.
    Appendix A.pdf
    Regards,
    TABSoft

Got it, thanks a lot Tabsoft!

For some reason the all files insists on renaiming themselves to attachment.xxx when I download them. And, the .zip file downloads as attachment.php which I then need to rename to .zip Before I can unzip it.

I've had issues with this before, am I the only one or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Thanks again Tabsoft, much appreciated!

/Henrik.

Mine was crashing consistently and inexplicably so I tried running as an ADMININISTRATOR - no problems since I put that in place...

Good luck

Micro code studio plus / mecanique.co.uk attention

I bought from this website microcode studio plus program (davidjohnbark and / .djbark the @ mecanique.co.uk) is key given program sent the wrong .Para also understood that the demonstration did not pay back even if they do not answer.

Note that this may happen in your head

respects

Quote Originally Posted by picster View Post
    Mine was crashing consistently and inexplicably so I tried running as an ADMININISTRATOR - no problems since I put that in place...

Good luck
    EDIT: ok that "fix" failed within about a week of when I posted it... oddly enough. Running the newer version now with fingers crossed.

Now trying with comments NOT in italics as they are defaulted to be. It seemed to always crash while I was typing in a comment.... cross posted elsewhere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by picster View Post
    Now trying with comments NOT in italics as they are defaulted to be. It seemed to always crash while I was typing in a comment.... cross posted elsewhere as well.
    Still working....no crashes so far since.

Ok, it just crashed. So it's not related to italics apparently - STILL crashed while I was typing a comment though

Without the full crash report there is limited amount of googling to try and see what might be the cause if it's the same stackhash error as the OP.

Googling seems to suggest that it could be anything from a corrupt registry entry to a graphics card driver (seems more associated with ATI). Given that there are so many variables between the hardware and software that everyone else has it's probably something that is going to be very hard to replicate. I have an AMD 6 core based system, with an ATI card and my MSC has never crashed. It may simply be that you are unlucky in some driver / hardware / registry combination is at the bottom of the crash, and what ever that combination is may only occur once in a blue moon ?

Is your OS fully up to date, including graphic drivers ? If you do have an ATI card, then maybe replace this with nvidia based card and see if you still get the same crashes