WIFI video possible ?

Closed Thread

Default WIFI video possible ?

Hi,

I'M making project that requires to send video (24 images seconds) wireless to a TFT screen. I was told this was not doable since TFT screen cant take that fast refresh...
    Anyone knows about TFT screen and video ??
    I have a cel phone (android) and it is a TFT screen and I do watch youtube and movies on my cel.. so I guess it IS doable . !!!
    I was looking at thjis screen on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291043219046
    Thanks in advanced

Ken

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: WIFI video possible ?

I have worked with smaller sized TFTs and may not be able to best answer your question.

Yes, the fast refresh is a function of the processor you attach to the TFT. In my experience, I have had reasonably fast refreshes, but, nothing approaching video frame rates yet. There are plenty of projects on the www that can do those frame rates, but, you need to have a lot of patience and tweak the code in assembly.

If you intend doing it with a processor, consider using one with a parallel 16 bit external memory interface. That can help quite a bit to speed things up.

As for the cell phones and their video capabilities, these days phones use dedicated chipsets which are able to refresh the screens at quite a fast frame rate. Another possibility is to use a FPGA to update the TFT. Doing it all in code run on a small processor can be quite exciting and challenging.

HI,

I am using the PIC32 chip, so I think the processing power is there. I don't mind tweaking but I doubt I will play around in assembly code..
    DO you have any interesting link for similar projects?? I didn't find anything worth mentioning..
    ken

If you're keen, there are resources unrelated to the PIC, but interesting none the less.

You can look up Andy Brown at Andys Workshop. Very interesting site that got me motivated http://andybrown.me.uk/
    Then there is rossum.posterous site which was down and now resurrected as http://rossumblog.com/