Connecting PIC to servos

Closed Thread

Default Connecting PIC to servos

Hi, I'm working on a circuit where I need to connect about 15 servos to a PIC chip on separate pins. Each servo will have a wire about 1m long.

In a previous thread I started about interference someone said "connecting long flying wires directly to the inputs of the PIC usually isn't the best design practice". I want to know if the same also applies to outputs.

Should I have something (optos/transistors etc) between my PIC and the servos?

Also, how many volts do servos need on the signal line? I'm using digital servos that need a supply voltage from 5 to 7.5V. My PICs run on 3.3V which should be more than enough for the servo signals but I haven't seen anything to confirm this.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Connecting PIC to servos

Hello Master,
    I am not sure how this thread merits OFF TOPIC status, but OK.

Kudos to ACETRONICS2 for this link http://www.societyofrobots.com/actuators_servos.shtml

he posted it in this thread http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19575

It pretty much explains hobby servos. HTH
    Last edited by Archangel; - 3rd February 2015 at 03:31.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

My fellow R/C modelling friend has several large models on which the leads to the aileron servos must be at least 3ft long. It all works perfectly.
    Phil

Thanks guys, looks like my design will be fine. It's good to know that the same length of wire works in other projects and that link mentions "booster extensions" which I could buy if I do run into problems.

Archangel: I used Off Topic because I didn't think this thread fit into any of the other forums.

Check this controller. It can control 16 servos. It uses a I2C led pwm chip. You could probably build your own with a little research

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1411

Thanks but I am already building my own. The servo control is part of a larger board that will be responsible for controlling 15 servos, 25 solenoid valves, 2 audio outputs and several inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post

Archangel: I used Off Topic because I didn't think this thread fit into any of the other forums.
    I was not an "issue", these questions usually crop up in other areas like PBP or PBP3 . . . , throw in some code and it could move to one of those areas as seems pertinent. The questions you asked are valid, esp. since you didn't really know the answer, if you needed to know this, others did too.

The long answer to your question is it depends upon how strong the "noise" signal is vs the signal voltage. If that wire length is able to receive over about 1 volt or so out of "the aether" it could be a problem, worse if it receives 2 volts. Twist the wires and it works better too, less noise received than straight parallel wires.
    Last edited by Archangel; - 4th February 2015 at 22:45.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.